PDA

View Full Version : honda concerto 89 engine problems

thj822
02-05-2010, 02:58 PM
im losing coolant. coming out exhaust and the piston rings are no good either. it smoking up white you can smell it under the bonnet. when you open up the oil cap oil is spitting up. atm got 223000kms.

so im thinking changing with second hand motor or rebuilding piston ring and service the head with new gasket. labour im doing at home. second hand motor roughly $600 bucks

i want to keep this car for at least another 5 yrs. i think a second hand motor is not guaranteed becos it might last 2yrs theres no way of knowing its a good motor. most wreckers lie and say low kms but they turn out to be 200+kms

what would be the better option. rebuild or drop a second hand motor in

does anyone know how much for a set of pistons plus rings? the head service is around $400 bucks plus gasket another $100

grifty
02-05-2010, 11:12 PM
i say rebuild the motor because it aint gonna be easy finding a low kms motor, and if you do find one you dont know the history of it.

hectic_filo
03-05-2010, 12:19 AM
try to go to the wreckers and ask.. taking out the old engine and put the new one is is quicker than rebuilding it.. and if ever u get a new engine get a D series VTEC aswell.. its doesnt sound like worth of re building it..

thj822
03-05-2010, 01:35 AM
if i get a vtec engine i think i have to change computer box and loom? bit expensive?