PDA

View Full Version : catback exhaust, your thoughts?

act_gooner
03-05-2010, 03:20 PM
Yo,
Just went to an exhaust place and they told me they would put a sports catback exhaust on the car for $420. However, would I be better off saving my money and maybe going for a better brand so I can get more from the headers when I decide to upgrade them? This is the first time I've done any of this before, madd n00b

integragsi96
03-05-2010, 04:12 PM
save up bro, do it once...do it right!

DC2-PWR
03-05-2010, 04:16 PM
Sorry OP for hijacking the thread but,

What would be better, a custom made exhuast or a brandy exhaust? An exhaust shop can make me a straight through 2.5" exhaust for my integra for $350 + fittings,

They said it would simular to the reinhard system. Whats your thoughts?

Regards

act_gooner
03-05-2010, 04:21 PM
save up bro, do it once...do it right!

Was thinking that. Went to A1 exhausts but their bender isn't working so they told me to go somewhere else. Pretty gay.

mnc
03-05-2010, 04:47 PM
Imo a custom exhaust is a great bang for buck!!!! but if you were to sell it later on.... it would be very hard unless you sell it dirt cheap.

I reckon save up for a well known brand. (mugen, fujitsubo etc)

Not only would it have a good resale price later on down the track, the material used in these branded exhaust is top notch Quality material.

cymax
03-05-2010, 04:54 PM
^ Agreed. You pay for what you get. You don't want to have issues like leaked exhaust as well.

cree
03-05-2010, 05:19 PM
[QUOTE=act_gooner;2737676 Went to A1 exhausts but their bender isn't working so they told me to go somewhere else. Pretty gay.[/QUOTE]

if u get a custom cat back make sure that u get It mandrel (think thats how u spell it) bent as a squashed bend will restrict performance.

InVtecWeTrust
03-05-2010, 05:19 PM
would a xforce catback be better then one made from an exhaust shop

act_gooner
03-05-2010, 06:11 PM
if u get a custom cat back make sure that u get It mandrel (think thats how u spell it) bent as a squashed bend will restrict performance.

Thanks mate. I'll have to remember that.

DC2-PWR
03-05-2010, 06:17 PM
Imo a custom exhaust is a great bang for buck!!!! but if you were to sell it later on.... it would be very hard unless you sell it dirt cheap.

I reckon save up for a well known brand. (mugen, fujitsubo etc)

Not only would it have a good resale price later on down the track, the material used in these branded exhaust is top notch Quality material.

^ Agreed. You pay for what you get. You don't want to have issues like leaked exhaust as well.

Thanks a lot champs :)

DC5.Raven
03-05-2010, 08:27 PM
IMO custom exhausts are abit hit and miss in general.
If you're looking for decent power gains, custom isn't the best way to go.
Fabricating an exhaust that gives you power gains isnt easy.
There's quite a bit of research and development involved.
Requires alot of testing/dyno runs and tuning.

True, 'branded-off the shelf' exhausts will cost you significantly more.
But essentially you are paying for the R&D, testing and tuning that is involved.
I think its worth the extra money.
But at the end of the day its up to you.

act_gooner
03-05-2010, 09:10 PM
Thanks everyone for your help. :)