PDA

View Full Version : swaping trim's

brendan1990
04-05-2010, 07:00 AM
hey guys, me and another person from ozhonda, are thinking of swaping our interior's i have red, and he has black has anyone done this before? cause apparently getting the carpet and trim around the centre console out is a pain in the ass and needs the dash removed also if this is true, has anyone done it before?

JAP-S2K
04-05-2010, 07:50 AM
Yeah, it's major pain in the arse and a fairly large task. Yeah you virtually require to strip the whole interior out the remove the carpet properly. You may be able to do it without pulling the dash out, but i think it would be quicker and easier with it out. I you do proceed with the swap, best to get yourself a clip remover, as no doubt you'll snap quite a few clips. Good luck.

euromandeluxe
04-05-2010, 10:13 AM
sounds like fun - clip removers available at Honda I guess? is there anywhere else? I snapped like 5 clips running wires the other week - annoying as.

tried searching on s2ki for a carpet removal DIY but came up with nothing. if anyone's got any links, do share!

euromandeluxe
04-05-2010, 10:20 AM
ok, here's the floor carpet removal:

http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=562797&st=0&#entry12597925

tbh, nothing I didn't already know..

but still no luck with centre console carpet. will keep looking

euromandeluxe
04-05-2010, 10:27 AM
and this is the best I could find for the console carpet.

http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=181179&st=0&#entry3198910

if it can be cut and swapped without being visible, I don't see why that should be a problem.

unluvedboi
04-05-2010, 11:30 AM
go get a quote asking them to swap trims around? Just a suggestion but goodluck! =]

vyets
04-05-2010, 12:25 PM
As if pay someone to do this, it's not even technically "hard" it's just time consuming

euromandeluxe
04-05-2010, 01:54 PM
posting for reference for console carpet removal without dash removal

http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=471963&st=0&#entry10037943

instructions are about 2/5 of the way down.

unluvedboi
04-05-2010, 04:04 PM
Get together with the person swapping the trim and I'm sure you guys should be fine.

Just follow the above links and take your time...

Asking for a quote wont hurt, but I wonder how much will they charge? lol

ludecrs
04-05-2010, 07:56 PM
As if pay someone to do this, it's not even technically "hard" it's just time consuming

This.

brendan1990
04-05-2010, 10:25 PM
ok well it seems to be time consuming lol, the carpet doesnt seem to be that hard, rather the material around the centre console seems to be the trickiest, i dont have a problem with removing some of the dash im jsut afriad off if it gets to messy with the steering wheel, i have seen people work on steering wheels before and there is alot to consider about the way the air bag and the way the steering wheels sits

euromandeluxe
04-05-2010, 11:00 PM
Get together with the person swapping the trim and I'm sure you guys should be fine.

that would be me :P

rather the material around the centre console seems to be the trickiest, i dont have a problem with removing some of the dash im jsut afriad off if it gets to messy with the steering wheel, i have seen people work on steering wheels before and there is alot to consider about the way the air bag and the way the steering wheels sits

yeah, need to see if there's a better alternative. i'd rather not go to the trouble of pulling the wheel and dash if we dont have to. it'll all become clearer when we start to take the interior apart.

ill do some prying and poking sometime soon to see exactly how that console carpet's held there. there's supposed to be 2 bolts under the dash that are a PITA to get too. just have to wait and see, lol

rokkuchan
05-05-2010, 11:11 AM
just use some black cloth dye. problem solved

jbird
06-05-2010, 03:27 PM
hey guys, me and another person from ozhonda, are thinking of swaping our interior's i have red, and he has black has anyone done this before? cause apparently getting the carpet and trim around the centre console out is a pain in the ass and needs the dash removed also if this is true, has anyone done it before?

Red Interior in a black car is the bomb - don't change it :/

gamgam
06-05-2010, 10:29 PM
disagree, used to be a fan of the red interior but now think it has to much of the young revhead look whereas the black looks completely stealth :thumbsup:

ludecrs
08-05-2010, 02:18 PM
I've noticed, the red also shows the wear and tear on a whole nother level compared to the black & cream.

STAiN MASTER
08-05-2010, 02:34 PM
Cream stains easy also because its a light colour, easiest colour to maintain is black, I've got best of both worlds, red seats and door trims and black carpet, but i wouldn't mind red carpet for that nsx look

euromandeluxe
16-05-2010, 11:42 PM
brendan1990 and i finally got round to doing the trim swap today - his red seats, door trims and carpets for my black.

all in all, it took around 6 hours to get all the stuff out of both cars, clean it all up and then reinstall into the opposite car. time intensive but not that difficult. probably a lot quicker to do the 2nd time round.

the worst part was as expected, the console carpet. we ended up cbf'ing removing the dash (also as expected) and instead just cut the console carpet just under where the stereo mounts so that it could be slipped out and swapped over. this means there's still a tiny bit of black carpet left under my dash, and red under his, but seriously, who gives a sh*t? that can be dyed with some spray on stuff down the track if desired..

so we ended up with black on BB and red on NFR as the final products. USELESS WITHOUT PICS!

http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq3/euromandeluxe/IMG_0996-1.jpg

http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq3/euromandeluxe/IMG_1002-2.jpg

http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq3/euromandeluxe/IMG_1009.jpg

http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq3/euromandeluxe/IMG_1008.jpg

http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq3/euromandeluxe/IMG_1011.jpg

the red console carpet looks a little tired - might look better with a black leather muz/ricks cover (when i can afford it.)

otherwise, i loooove how the red on NFR turned out. so much red my eyes almost hurt..

and the stealth BB turned out awesome IMO

well worth the effort

ludecrs
17-05-2010, 06:16 AM
Cherry ripe. :p

STAiN MASTER
17-05-2010, 04:08 PM
The owner of the red car should swap his dash and roll hoops for red ones too!

unluvedboi
17-05-2010, 08:34 PM
good work fellas, i like the red on red.. and the black on black =)

brendan1990
17-05-2010, 09:11 PM
oh sweet you got the pics up, the photos in the day look perfect, and please no comment on how dirty my car is lol, there is no need to wash it just yet XD
still love your gear stick btw i g2 get me a dark carbon one to go with my whole stealth look.
it took a while but the result in the end was well worth it imo.

euromandeluxe
18-05-2010, 08:06 PM
oh sweet you got the pics up, the photos in the day look perfect, and please no comment on how dirty my car is lol, there is no need to wash it just yet XD
still love your gear stick btw i g2 get me a dark carbon one to go with my whole stealth look.
it took a while but the result in the end was well worth it imo.

so worth it.

my car needs a serious wash too. maybe the next thing to do is a melb carwash meet! lol

brendan1990
18-05-2010, 10:34 PM
yeah for sure lol after i get the collision dmg fixed though, the car is getting assessed on saturday and then i find out how much it needs and roughly how long but i dont think it will be in a workshop for about a fortnight =( plus probably half a week to be fixed.

Engin09
18-05-2010, 11:05 PM
man red s2000's were made for the black interior.. >< dislike the swap :P but the black on black looks awesome hahahaha, should of kept your black interior imo

euromandeluxe
18-05-2010, 11:27 PM
man red s2000's were made for the black interior.. >< dislike the swap :P but the black on black looks awesome hahahaha, should of kept your black interior imo

if i were rolling in money, i'd have retrimmed the leather parts of the interior to ivory leather.

however i really like sitting amongst all the red - feels a lot more racecar'ish now.

each to their own i guess.

JAP-S2K
19-05-2010, 07:03 AM
feels a lot more racecar'ish now.

each to their own i guess.

Racecarish???? They're interiors are generally stripped out, with carbon and black are the norm.;)

euromandeluxe
19-05-2010, 11:32 AM
Racecarish???? They're interiors are generally stripped out, with carbon and black are the norm.;)

sportscar'ish***

ahah

we were contemplating going for a drive around when the interiors were half stripped... all we needed to do was pull the dash LOL. too bad we were running out of time lol

brendan1990
19-05-2010, 05:43 PM
feels a lot more racecar'ish

red does make you go faster apparently

JAP-S2K
19-05-2010, 09:49 PM
I'd nearly consider a swap if it wasn't such a mission, i'm perferred my black trim in my red S2K, i'm really tiring of the red now in my current car.

brendan1990
19-05-2010, 10:07 PM
i had 2 offers for my swap for people who wanted the red, but i forgot the dudes name and deleted the messages ages ago sorry =/