PDA

View Full Version : question about vtec kicking in civic vti 10 model

ekay1
04-05-2010, 11:01 PM
hi tried searching for it but coudltn find anything! sorry if thsi has already be answered just wanted to know at what rpms does vtec kick in a civic fd vti model 2010? thanks! is it 6300?

Wez_R
04-05-2010, 11:34 PM
not really sure about that model but vtec usually kicks in at 5-5.5k rpm. maybe its different for newer models not to sure sorry if im wrong.

FDBenni
05-05-2010, 12:33 AM
For the vti which is a sohc motor vtec isn't used for power gains but more for economy, its opposite of a 'normal' vtec so that means that vtec is usually on upto around 3k rpm. Being in vtec also depends on throttle placement so if you're flooring it, vtec won't be engaged.

clem
06-05-2010, 02:49 PM
Its been covered man, use the search function!

A google should probably point you to the temple of vtec which explains how vtec works on all honda engines.

For your VTi civic. Vtec is not what you think it is. Its an economic variant of vtec, which is constantly on whilst cruising, so you won't 'feel' any 'kick'.
Refer to site/pic.

"So the 1.8l R18A which is SOHC in configuration is able to deliver as much power as a typical 'performance' oriented 1.8l DOHC engine without any worries about compromising fuel economy. On the other hand, once the driving conditions permits, the ECU 'opens' VTEC on the R18A. Now the reduction in pumping losses acheived allows the R18A to sip fuel at a similar rate to a normal 1.5l engine."

Sorry to disappoint but there will be no "VTAK JUST KICKED IN Y0" action for you :P

http://asia.vtec.net/Engines/RiVTEC/index.html

http://asia.vtec.net/Engines/RiVTEC/ivtec1.jpg

fitme
06-05-2010, 09:21 PM
going to install vtec light on my fd after my 6months check...

UNLS1
07-05-2010, 01:38 PM
going to install vtec light on my fd after my 6months check...

why the hell for? its 103kw! it makes stuff all difference to you

fitme
07-05-2010, 01:53 PM
this is the observation of one of my mates based on the vtec led that he installed

"Vtec enggages at any rpm"
"Even at 1200RPM the vtec will engage"

I wil let you know my observation when my DIY is done....

R18 vtec is for economy.....

aero
07-05-2010, 02:26 PM
yeah. this has been covered a lot. the vti r18a engine is a sohc and has a vtec range from like 1000-3500 rpm.. and its all for fuel economy. under the "right conditions" i-vtec will engage and all it means that ur car will be driving more fuel efficient. it has nothing to do with power. its a shame =[

aaronng
07-05-2010, 03:30 PM
The VTEC light will turn on and off depending on load, gear, throttle position and RPM. But in reality, you will see the light ON all the time when it is in 12 valve mode, and when the engine goes into 16 valve mode for that added performance, the light will turn OFF. So your friends will either laugh at that reverse arrangement or you will go crazy with the light being on over 50% of the time. :)

seihoa
07-05-2010, 04:28 PM
I think that sucks for the FD guys. No vtech power =(

aero
07-05-2010, 10:37 PM
the sport model has a bigger k20z2 dohc engine, which does offer some more power during vtec at high rpm. so its not all bad for the FDs... but its still not a great engine for further power increases. best hing to do for these cars are to either do some forced induction or swap the engine for a k20a or k24

curtis265
08-05-2010, 09:04 PM
ahhh this topic again...

FD's are lame cars :(:(:(

buddah51au
10-05-2010, 08:01 AM
I thought the idea of buying a Civic is they are a good economical car. They are not & don't pretend to be a performance car.

FDPete
10-05-2010, 11:41 AM
I thought the idea of buying a Civic is they are a good economical car. They are not & don't pretend to be a performance car.

Good point buddah

I was tossing up b/w a Golf Mk5 GTI and the FD2 Sport (07) i purchased..yeh the golf is faster but im loving the FD2, good cruiser, has enough speed for me and is better value for money..30k service last week cost me $198 from Astoria Honda brillant! Has not missed a beat..no horror stories about DSG gearboxes, poor build quality, expensive services..a mate of mine has had nothing but trouble with his GTI

ej20i
10-05-2010, 11:47 AM
this is the observation of one of my mates based on the vtec led that he installed

"Vtec enggages at any rpm"
"Even at 1200RPM the vtec will engage"

I wil let you know my observation when my DIY is done....

R18 vtec is for economy.....

post some write up as well for the DIY ive always wanted to know how to do it

buddah51au
10-05-2010, 07:29 PM
Good point buddah

I was tossing up b/w a Golf Mk5 GTI and the FD2 Sport (07) i purchased..yeh the golf is faster but im loving the FD2, good cruiser, has enough speed for me and is better value for money..30k service last week cost me $198 from Astoria Honda brillant! Has not missed a beat..no horror stories about DSG gearboxes, poor build quality, expensive services..a mate of mine has had nothing but trouble with his GTI

DSG gearboxes are unproven at this early stage in there development & most have a few problems.

Without trying to sound bias in any way in regard to the FD2 as they are a great car, I personally believe they are priced too closely to a base model Euro (Virtually the same going on 2010 Prices). The reality is you can't compare the 2 cars in any way as the Euro is in a totally different class in every area, yet there is very little difference in economy based on my 06 FD1 Auto VTI & now my base model 08 Euro.

I know Denot had an FD2 & traded it for a Euro Auto & hasn't looked back. But like everything in life we all have different tastes, likes & dislikes.

clem
11-05-2010, 12:19 PM
post some write up as well for the DIY ive always wanted to know how to do it

Its covered in the DIY section man, pretty basic, just find the VTEC solenoid wire, tap into it with a 12V LED or watever you choose, ground it and mount it somewhere.

curtis265
12-05-2010, 01:19 AM
^if i'm not wrong, it's totally different for our engines :(

clem
12-05-2010, 12:51 PM
How will it be different? Just cause the Vtec acts differently, doesn't mean theres no solenoid telling the vtec to engage/disengage. Location may differ between models but afaik theres a vtec wire. I did this mod on my 05 Civ hatch and my mates Accord Euro, both cars had a yellow/green vtec wire. My vtec was VTEC LEV and his vtec was i-VTEC.

fitme
18-05-2010, 12:46 PM
just noticed that the vtec is not kickin in on the 1st and 2nd gear....

aaronng
18-05-2010, 02:33 PM
just noticed that the vtec is not kickin in on the 1st and 2nd gear....

If you have a 1.8L FD1, VTEC does not work in the way you think it does.

fitme
18-05-2010, 02:59 PM
If you have a 1.8L FD1, VTEC does not work in the way you think it does.i know..lol..its not like an agressive vtec that you can find on the older model vtec engine..b series and some d series motor

its for fuel economy...im just answering what the OP wants to know based on my observation...

aaronng
18-05-2010, 05:42 PM
i know..lol..its not like an agressive vtec that you can find on the older model vtec engine..b series and some d series motor

its for fuel economy...im just answering what the OP wants to know based on my observation...

It's even worse. It doesn't even come on at a set RPM. It depends on throttle, speed and many other things. If it wanted to, it could even come on at 2000rpm. Then there is the other fact that it works in reverse. When VTEC is engaged, the engine is in 12-valve fuel economy mode. When VTEC turns off, it is in 16-valve performance mode. LOL.

fitme
19-05-2010, 08:18 AM
^^ yep even at 1200rpm vtec will engage....

-Tom
21-05-2010, 03:34 AM
It's even worse. It doesn't even come on at a set RPM. It depends on throttle, speed and many other things. If it wanted to, it could even come on at 2000rpm. Then there is the other fact that it works in reverse. When VTEC is engaged, the engine is in 12-valve fuel economy mode. When VTEC turns off, it is in 16-valve performance mode. LOL.

Just learnt something new.

Nairda
01-06-2010, 10:20 PM
The thing i want to know is....why did they have to make the "Sport" still so nerfed...what happened to the VTi-R and the SiR.....Poor mans Type R no longer exists...its so sad...and the Sport costs more than base model Euro...Soon young people are going to be turning away from hondas because their civics cant be modified as easily...so sad =(

curtis265
01-06-2010, 10:39 PM
Honda is becoming the 'boring and economical' brand.. i think a lot of cars are going this way...

Nairda
02-06-2010, 07:31 AM
Honda is becoming the 'boring and economical' brand.. i think a lot of cars are going this way...

Damn treehuggers and ecomentalists...

aaronng
02-06-2010, 08:12 AM
The thing i want to know is....why did they have to make the "Sport" still so nerfed...what happened to the VTi-R and the SiR.....Poor mans Type R no longer exists...its so sad...and the Sport costs more than base model Euro...Soon young people are going to be turning away from hondas because their civics cant be modified as easily...so sad =(

Honda decided to bring in the UK type R for those people instead.

xenonkuraz
02-06-2010, 08:27 AM
Wheres the AU type R :D

Nairda
02-06-2010, 10:57 AM
Honda decided to bring in the UK type R for those people instead.

I will forever have hate for Honda UK and swindon just for that.....And have hate for Honda Australia for deciding that we should have the UK version over the JDM version.....malaysia...of ALL countries...gets local distribution of the JDM FD2R...FML

aaronng
02-06-2010, 04:22 PM
I will forever have hate for Honda UK and swindon just for that.....And have hate for Honda Australia for deciding that we should have the UK version over the JDM version.....malaysia...of ALL countries...gets local distribution of the JDM FD2R...FML

They got it because the site owner of asia.vtec.net spoke to Takeo Fukui, the CEO of Honda Japan when he visited Sepang for the F1 race. He asked for the Type R to be sold there. Then he also spoke to the Honda Malaysia side and lobbied for the Type R for 2 years. If you want to read it, check out the section "Light At The End Of The Tunnel" on http://asia.vtec.net/Reviews/8GCivicRLaunch/index.html

In Australia, no one organised a proper lobby/petition/letter to Honda Australia for the FD2R.

xenonkuraz
02-06-2010, 04:52 PM
Wow. People actually listen?

aaronng
02-06-2010, 05:03 PM
Wow. People actually listen?

A lot of work. They actually got people to do a survey at Honda Malaysia as part of the lobby to show that the Type Rs would be purchased if they were brought into Malaysia. How many of us here would pay AU$55,000-60,000 for a FD2 Type R?

curtis265
02-06-2010, 06:52 PM
Honda's trying to get rid of it's type-R image :(

and i agree, nobody's going to pay 55k for a 165 kW civic

With the competitors in that price range... definitely not worth it

Nairda
02-06-2010, 07:32 PM
Wish i could say the same "dedication" is felt from Honda Australia....I dont see why if FN2R is being sold here for 45-50k that we wouldnt pay 55K for a superior car....besides....independent suspension doesnt cost 10k....wtf
Essentially if people used to pay 55k for an DC5R i dont see why they wouldnt pay that for the civic?

Stiffer chassis, faster around track and it has 4 doors...and it looks better

Ill admit 60K is pushing it but Honda lost the competition with WRX's and Evo's not to mention Golf GTI's just cause they didn't release it here. Sure the FD2R isnt as fast as an Evo 10 but the fuel economy and maintenance of the evo is enough to persuade some people to go with the FD2R...

Not everyone needs a rally car to go to work...some just want a car they can drive to work with good economy and have a blast on the weekend

aaronng
02-06-2010, 07:33 PM
Honda's trying to get rid of it's type-R image :(

and i agree, nobody's going to pay 55k for a 165 kW civic

With the competitors in that price range... definitely not worth it
They say that, but still they sell the UK Type R as a Type R. So they might be saying that but they are not doing it.

I reckon the reason they didn't bring in the FD2R is because no one would buy it at that price. For 55k, I'd get a Liberty STI and if I could stretch to 60k, I'd get an Impreza STI instead. You could even get an EVOX for 61-62k.

aaronng
02-06-2010, 07:35 PM
Wish i could say the same "dedication" is felt from Honda Australia....I dont see why if FN2R is being sold here for 45-50k that we wouldnt pay 55K for a superior car....besides....independent suspension doesnt cost 10k....wtf
Essentially if people used to pay 55k for an DC5R i dont see why they wouldnt pay that for the civic?

Ask every DC5R owner here on this forum whether if they bought it brand new or used? Very few people bought the DC5R new that they only brought them in when the contract was signed, giving it a 3 month shipping time. The DC5S at $42-45k on the other hand sold quite well with quite a few members buying it new.

FDBenni
02-06-2010, 09:54 PM
I think there's just not enough demand for the FD2R given the price.. it's just too expensive when you can get so much more like sti's, evo's. Only the honda enthusiusts will be WOWed and buy one straight away. They probably thought the FN2R would sell better since its cheaper and has that 'unique' look.

xenonkuraz
02-06-2010, 11:38 PM
Crash helmet. Unique. :D

Nairda
03-06-2010, 07:36 AM
Crash helmet. Unique. :D

Yup Very unique.....also unique in the fact that its the only type R thats ever going to kill you understeering off the road with that crappy torsion beam suspension

I do not deny there are a lot of FN2Rs here now...but dont you suppose thats only because we cant get anything else? In some ways Honda in Swindon did exactly what Honda Japan feared....They tarnished the Type R name...

A type R that cant corner well isnt a type r.....

curtis265
03-06-2010, 11:03 PM
not quite, but rather, a type-R that isn't raw performance...

aaronng
03-06-2010, 11:11 PM
Yup Very unique.....also unique in the fact that its the only type R thats ever going to kill you understeering off the road with that crappy torsion beam suspension

Nothing wrong with torsion beam rear suspension. It acts like a giant rear sway bar. Only downside is that is if the right rear tyre lifts really hard, it affects the left rear tyre. If you stay off the kerbs, torsion beam can be as fast if not faster. Why else would a Mugen FN2R be quicker on track than a Mugen FD2R?