PDA

View Full Version : DC5R Owners....is this normal?

xhilr8
06-05-2010, 12:06 AM
I just picked up my DC5R today and I noticed something weird and was wondering if its considererd normal? Everytime I approach a light and I shift into neutral and the car comes to a complete stop, the RPM falls down to around 350-400rpms and the engine sounds like its about to die then comes back to normal 700rpm idle. I dont' have idle problems..just when the car is driven and coming to a complete stop. :confused:

andykin29
06-05-2010, 01:52 AM
its not normal, but only a little problem, yr battery is going to die,
my lancer got the same problem before,fixed after put in new battery.

xhilr8
06-05-2010, 10:10 AM
Well when I took delivery of it, the battery was dead after sitting on the car transport tray for 5 days and needed a jump start. Not sure if that may have done anything..I'll see what happens to the car after its driven more and charged up fully.
There was some product I read a while back that revives batteries..its some little bottle of chemical you put in your battery and one guy said it worked absolute wonders. Anyone tried this before?

pinoy-boi
06-05-2010, 11:16 AM
Buy a new battery. if ur batterys already on its way out. putting a lil bottle of quick-fix in it will make it last abit longer, bt in the end u will need a new battery. don't be cheap about it, its only $160 for a decent battery :thumbsup:

1900-hustler
06-05-2010, 12:09 PM
as above just get a new battery

no point taking short cuts or quick fix solutions..

xhilr8
06-05-2010, 12:19 PM
Strange thing is that when I look at the battery indicator on the the actual battery, it says "ok"...probably not accurate anymore.

Any recommendations on which battery?

Wez_R
06-05-2010, 12:43 PM
any battery is good around the 150 dollar mark just call around

aaronng
06-05-2010, 01:12 PM
AC Delco batteries have handles, while Supercharge Gold batteries have slightly higher capacity than AC Delco. Both are sealed maintenance-free batteries.

minircc
08-05-2010, 04:30 PM
buy a new battery or you could overwork your alternator. a battery is cheaper to replace than an alternator.

hisoka
08-05-2010, 04:50 PM
this doesnt sound like a battery problem.

go get your battery checked for free at autobarn before you buy a new one.

check your breathers if your car has it and check your brake booster.

my car also does this and i have a brand new battery so yeah.

i actually just noticed it today

AsHw3e
08-05-2010, 06:38 PM
ive got this same problem aswel. was going to post up the same thing. ill get the battery fixed but if it aint the problem then ill check what hisoka wrote aswell.

R123
08-05-2010, 10:43 PM
take it to the dealer and service it man, after all they have the diagnostic computer that should detect what the issue was...

steebs
09-05-2010, 06:38 PM
had this issue previously ... solution was to clean the iacv

give it a shot

_bORdO_
09-05-2010, 09:10 PM
http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1575913

xhilr8
10-05-2010, 01:04 AM
I installed a new battery because in fact mine did die. I also completely flushed out my clutch fluid as it was green and had weird bits in there (I don't think the previous owner has ever replaced the clutch fluid) and now the car is alot better and while the idle does dip a little before going back to normal idle, its nowhere near as bad as last time and sometimes it doesn't do it at all. Perhaps the clutch fluid was so old that it wasn't disengaging the clutch properly?? That's the only explanation I can give. But I will also clean out the IACV and see how that goes.

Oh by the way, can you use contact cleaner instead to clean out the IACV or simple engine degreaser and then wash it out with water? Or does it have to specifically be brake cleaner?

steebs
10-05-2010, 05:00 PM
xhilr8 ; i use throttle body cleaner, does a great job - just use a cotton bud to get into the hard spots

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=660756&highlight=iacv

gl

hisoka
10-05-2010, 06:43 PM
use throttle body cleaner or maf sensor cleaner

xhilr8
11-05-2010, 03:52 PM
Hi guys, just reporting back to let you know cleaning out the IACV did the trick and now that weird idling problem has gone away. I might add as well that when you take out the electronic part of the IACV to clean it, you can see the magnet driven valve. I used a citrus degreaser with cotton ear buds to clean it thoroughly and DON'T FORGET that you will need to re-lube the bearing where the magnet driven valve goes. It should spin freely so squirt abit of WD-40 into the bearings then spin it both ways a few times. I also then added a drop of motor oil to ensure its properly lubed.

I didn't do this properly the first time and my car gave a weird idling problem where the car was revving itself on idle from 1.5K to 2.5K back and forth continuously. So if your car is doing that, I suggest you clean it out and then re-lube the bearings to get it to spin freely again. Here's a handy thread for the DC5:
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=288936