PDA

View Full Version : Do I really need to use Honda fluids?

xhilr8
07-05-2010, 01:50 AM
Looking to do some maintenence on my DC5R and I downloaded the service manual and had a look through it. It states that I need to use Honda branded power steering fluids as well as Honda branded DOt 3 brake fluid and clutch fluid. I have Motul Dot 5.1 and was wondering if I can use this instead? And do I REALLY need to use Honda branded stuff or can I use a suitable aftermarket?

It says on the Motul website that its compatible with Dot 3 and Dot 4 as well:
http://www.motul.com.au/product_line_up/fork_brake_others/others05.html

And can I use it for both the clutch and brake?

Sometimes when I read this I am a little skeptical that its just another way for Honda to make extra $$ by stating it HAS to be specific fluids purchased from Honda.

shadou
07-05-2010, 02:13 AM
only the gearbox and power steering you will have to use OEM if running OEM components on these parts, power steering is most essential you use OEM as other brands may damage and prematurely make the p/s system leak, ect.
Gearbox you can go either way but best to stick with OEM
and yes brake fluid can be used in the clutch system as well both the same fluids, and yes to using your 5.1 motul fluids
oh and the reason they state you wanting to use their products is simple and not intentionally revenue raising, they have engineered the fluids to match the engine and subsequent systems associated with the vehicle, you have superior and inferior products in the wide market place, Honda want to cover their asses by strongly suggesting you use their brand as they don't want to mislead and say everything is safe which in turn would be a liability matter.

VTECMACHINE
07-05-2010, 02:36 AM
* Honda 10w-30 mineral oil is crappy Caltex oil rebranded. So rather use something synthetic. Honda oil is OK, and does the job, but change it every 5000Km's. Use either 5W-30, 10W-30, 0W-40 or 10W-40. I find Castrol Edge 5W-30 to be the best bang for buck oil. I use it in my DC2R, and family cars (CL9, EK1, FD1) - they all love the stuff
* Honda Power Steering fluid should ONLY be used in the p/s system. Don't use other fluids here.
* Use Honda Type II coolant, it's really really good stuff.
* Gearbox oil you can use anything, as long as the viscocity is the same as Honda specs. Motul, oil is good for Honda g/b's.
* Any Brake fluid can be used. I've used DOT 3/4, 5.1, and 6.1 Formula 3 and Indy car fluid.

aaronng
07-05-2010, 10:29 AM
The manual transmission fluid needs to be a viscosity of 75w80.