PDA

View Full Version : Annoying 'rollover' advertising

Mikecivic78
08-05-2010, 02:58 PM
Firstly, I understand that Ozhonda needs advertising and as a part of most forums, it's a neccessary evil.

However, I gotta say that the Lewis Hamilton/F1 Vodafone rollover ad gives me the Sh++ts!

It's all too easy to accidently scroll the mouse cursor over it and it is usually reluctant to close. It has no close 'X' in the corner and seems to eventually roll back after I roll my cursor over it a few times. Im getting sick of Hamilton's big-eared mug leering at me (and refusing to go away) because i failed to avoid scrolling over the ad in order to click on 'settings' to view my subscribed threads. It's much easier to touch it than avoid it.

I realise that there's probably not much that can be done, and mods will say that " we can't choose the type of ads on the site", but maybe there is a way to at least illiminate the particularly annoying 'rollover' ads which adorn so many other sites.

I've also seen car commercials on the site (including Hyundai), but strangely enough, no Honda commercials. Why doesnt OH have ads by companies like Mugen or other aftermarket tuning companies? I'm sure that it would be more effective for advertisers than plugging the new Kia Sorrento! I'd like to hear from someone that bought a Hyundai because it was advertised on this site.

I hope that I'm not being unreasonable by posting this thread.

Regards

Mike

eG_YoDa
08-05-2010, 03:59 PM
I have to agree
this ad is damn annoying when u go to 'next page' and it starts from top
the banner is too big to miss most times and u forget other times
and it just does not go away, theres no close button on it

maybe its just me and i dont like hamilton but either way its still annoying

wynode
08-05-2010, 05:42 PM
Agreed. It did the same thing to me today. I'll get some feedback to the advertisers.

ekcoupe
08-05-2010, 05:49 PM
yes very annoying, it's doing it to me right now:p

Mikecivic78
08-05-2010, 08:42 PM
Agreed. It did the same thing to me today. I'll get some feedback to the advertisers.

Thanks Wynode :)

Can I give you rep for this?

wynode
08-05-2010, 08:49 PM
Nope sorry. Rep/PQ is only for tech posts as outlined here (http://www.ozhonda.com/pq).

Mikecivic78
08-05-2010, 09:03 PM
Nope sorry. Rep/PQ is only for tech posts as outlined here (http://www.ozhonda.com/pq).

No problems. I wasn't sure, the rules say "By helpful we mean helpful to the thread starter or other users having questions relating to their Honda motor vehicle." If you give the feedback to the advertiser, and they fix the ad, then you will be helping quite a few people out me thinks. It's related to the site, however, and not a motor vehicle.

wynode
08-05-2010, 09:07 PM
No problem, better ask and be safe!

As per the quote above, it does mention 'Honda motor vehicle". There's no Honda motor vehicles in this thread :)

xntrik
08-05-2010, 09:39 PM
So it wasn't just me getting the annoying F1 roll-over.

androo
08-05-2010, 09:59 PM
That F1 roll-over ruins my life!

wynode
08-05-2010, 10:31 PM
Problem noted. Thread closed till resolved. If you haven't heard back from me in awhile shoot me a PM. It will take awhile for this to reach the advertisers though.

bennjamin
12-05-2010, 08:29 AM
Wyn can we block said ads ? I've blocked a few via firefox but these drop down java type ads ( like the landrover one ) are , in my opinion a hijack of my browser. Should be deemed off limits IMO - if i see an ad i want to investigate further I click it - NOT be forced to close my browser as this massive streaming ad pops up and saps my bandwidth.

wynode
12-05-2010, 09:46 PM
Agreed Ben and that's what I'm chasing up.