PDA

View Full Version : DC5R Won't Start

WATAJK
08-05-2010, 03:03 PM
Okay last night was driving in the rain (have an INJEN CAI),
heard a very loud knocking noise in the engine bay so i turned my hazards on and switched the car off.... (the sound of u putting a fist and knocking on your bonnet)
Anyway, called RACV, was meant to get a tow but a guy came out and he said start it up... wouldn't start... Yes this is when i got scared.. I said maybe the battery died... Thank god... Jump started, drove up the road with him following and all seemed fine...

Now.. On the citylink heading home, the car felt sluggish all of a sudden so once again i've pulled into the emergency stopping lane (lucky i was in the left lane), i turned the car off... Said stuff this, im getting a tow home (was 7km from home).. As i was waiting, i said ill try start her up, started up fine, gave her a few rev's and it seemed all good...
Got my tow home as i planned but this is where the issue has started...

When we took it off the tow truck... we tried to start it but it wouldn't start??? Gauges and everything inside lit up... Drivers side Window was very sluggish to get up...
Question: Have i locked the motor up??
Is it just that either my alternator (regulator) has decided to shit itself??
Possibly has my battery decided to burn out and basically will require a jump start everytime??

Thanks guys, will appreciate all the good help.

minircc
08-05-2010, 04:24 PM
not too sure about the knocking noise in engine bay, but sounds like you definitely need a new battery (especially if it hasn't been changed over the past 3-4 years).

symptom of a dead battery: when you turn the key, the engine doesn't crank and you just hear a tick noise.
if battery is low, interior lighting will still work and so will radio, elect windows etc.
however it won't have enough power to turn over the car, hence why you always need to jump start. funny, b/c the racv guy should have told you that.

if you keep jump starting and driving with a dead battery and you could kill your alternator.

hisoka
08-05-2010, 04:41 PM
sucked in water boy.

if you think its battery

get a multimeter and check your battery. someone crank it someone read it.

or just see if its got any juice left anyway.

should be between 11 to 12 v and cranking should drop to 9 or maybe 8.

to me it sounds like you either sucked in water or your ground on the battery is not on tight enough

WATAJK
08-05-2010, 04:53 PM
I got told the knocking sound could be a Front Engine Mount might of possibly broke??
Could anyone confirm on this
Cheers

sucked in water boy.

if you think its battery

get a multimeter and check your battery. someone crank it someone read it.

or just see if its got any juice left anyway.

should be between 11 to 12 v and cranking should drop to 9 or maybe 8.

to me it sounds like you either sucked in water or your ground on the battery is not on tight enough

Seems all good...
It's an old school battery.. had no water left in it... couldn't hold the charge...
Im actually VERY VERY PISSED OFF at my dealership as i just had a major service done...
I gave her a bit of a run around and pushed her abit with no dramas so far..
taking her for a drive to a friends place about an hour away...

So yeah... checked the oil.. no air bubbles or anything, seems good so far..

xntrik
09-05-2010, 06:21 PM
If its your engine mount, just look at it and put your finger on the rubber bushings.
Push your actual engine, if it moves a lot, a mount is broken.

if you just got your car serviced at a dealership, send it back there;
cause it occurred after the service.

WATAJK
09-05-2010, 06:29 PM
If its your engine mount, just look at it and put your finger on the rubber bushings.
Push your actual engine, if it moves a lot, a mount is broken.

if you just got your car serviced at a dealership, send it back there;
cause it occurred after the service.

Have all the intentions to give them a VERY big phonecall...

dc2r-0636
10-05-2010, 12:51 AM
Where did you get it serviced ? Give them a spray ! Also check your spark plugs n leads... Although they should of been replaced at your major service..

WATAJK
10-05-2010, 07:29 AM
Where did you get it serviced ? Give them a spray ! Also check your spark plugs n leads... Although they should of been replaced at your major service..

Eastern Honda in Doncaster

xhilr8
18-05-2010, 03:01 PM
I had an alternator problem in my S15 Silvia and the check battery light should come on if thats the problem.