PDA

View Full Version : '03 JAZZ 1.3 CVT problem still after trans fluid change

cazz'shonda
09-05-2010, 07:45 AM
OK, my daughter-in-law had her Jazz's trans flushed. The workshop that did it haven't given any info on what they replaced the fluid with, except to say it was Honda fluid.
\My suspicions are that, yes they used Honda fluid but only had the old ATF-Z{?} or previous recommended type fluid and not the new CV-TF. The shudder on take-off is still apparent. The car has only 41xxxkm on it and doesn't look like it's had a hard life with all services done when required by the PO.
The problem was there when we tested the car last year at the dealer and they assured us they'd have it fixed. they didn't.
Warranty runs out next month so I will be pushing the mechanic that did the fluid change recent;y and then also the dealer because I think I have done everything I can without changing the fluid myself to try to right this problem.
I won't do the change because that would void the warranty as I don't have an 'A' class ticket.

ewendc2r
09-05-2010, 10:09 PM
If they are unable to fix it make sure you contact State Manager or something to get an assurance that any issues ongoing will be covered until the probelm / issue is resolved post-warranty. That isn't acceptable.

ricerockets
10-05-2010, 05:39 AM
my friends jazz has the same problem, i looked through her logs and saw that the previous owner had same problem so they took to the dealer and the dealer replaced some valve i think.... but that fixed for a little bit but now it has started all over again... not sure this helps

cazz'shonda
10-05-2010, 06:35 AM
my friends jazz has the same problem, i looked through her logs and saw that the previous owner had same problem so they took to the dealer and the dealer replaced some valve i think.... but that fixed for a little bit but now it has started all over again... not sure this helpsThanks Ricerocket, that sounds like the EGR which I am also getting her to have checked.

hoey888
10-05-2010, 11:16 PM
i take it your jazz has probably done 100k+ km's on it. honda service interval for cvt transmission change is at 100k. usually when its changed its often black and very sludgy... this is because of the cvt belt wear and tear and the oil being burnt. as the sludge is drained and removed the cvt clutch system, it will be more 'slippery' ( since all the sludge was drained out). being more slippery, makes it much harder for transmission to suddenly cope with it... hence why you got the problems your mentioning now

not really much you can do about it if its playing up now after being drained... you'll more or less continue to have the problem. best off to either pay ~$1k to fix it up and rebuild it or get another car.

* i had an 07 with 45k on it... cvt transmission fluid was black and it was sludgy. now imagine what 100k of driving will do....

cazz'shonda
11-05-2010, 08:01 AM
i take it your jazz has probably done 100k+ km's on it. honda service interval for cvt transmission change is at 100k. usually when its changed its often black and very sludgy... this is because of the cvt belt wear and tear and the oil being burnt. as the sludge is drained and removed the cvt clutch system, it will be more 'slippery' ( since all the sludge was drained out). being more slippery, makes it much harder for transmission to suddenly cope with it... hence why you got the problems your mentioning now

not really much you can do about it if its playing up now after being drained... you'll more or less continue to have the problem. best off to either pay ~$1k to fix it up and rebuild it or get another car.

* i had an 07 with 45k on it... cvt transmission fluid was black and it was sludgy. now imagine what 100k of driving will do....
Hey hoey, the car has only 41000km on it actually.(it's up top but typed as 41xxxkm, sorry).
Been around cars all my life and always thought there was something wrong with it, even the day we test drove it, as mentioned. I should have listened to my intuition. I never thought there'd be a problem witha Honda, given people say they are great cars.
The place my daughter in laws family took the car to did the fluid change but nobody will tell me what fluid went back into it. I am guessing they used whatever they had lying around, which Caroline tells me they were told was Honda stuff because he has done other Jazz fluid changes.
C's home from work today so i will try and get the info from the mechanic as to what he used in the transmission.
The dealer we bought it from will if I can force the issue be the ones forking out for the repairs if they are required because they told us they fixed the shudder originally before it was purchased.:thumbdwn::?:

ewendc2r
11-05-2010, 09:48 AM
I would make contact with state manager now --- no point mucking around with the dealership. Nearly always end up having to take a complaint further anyhow. Surely they couldnt have designed the gearbox so poorly that itd require a reuibld after 100'000 kms!?

fundies
11-05-2010, 11:25 AM
Guranteed that nearly all stuffed CVT's are due to dodgy mechanics using whatever ATF they can find in them. A shame really, as they are a damn clever gearbox. Mine has nearly 70K km's all good. I change my CVT fluid at 30K intervals with Honda CVT fluid.

hoey888
11-05-2010, 12:48 PM
Hey hoey, the car has only 41000km on it actually.(it's up top but typed as 41xxxkm, sorry).
The dealer we bought it from will if I can force the issue be the ones forking out for the repairs if they are required because they told us they fixed the shudder originally before it was purchased.:thumbdwn::?:

sounds like your one mind have been the first batch. might be worth going to the dealer to see if the previous owner ever had the cvt issue fixed. i do remember honda australia recalling some jazz due to cvt problems. if it hasn't been done get it done

if you dont mind me asking, how much did the mechanic charge you to drain the the CVT fluid change? from memory honda retail the cvt fluid alone for about $80-90 for 5L... my mechanic used the full 5L to drain and top it up...
steve

cazz'shonda
12-05-2010, 06:57 AM
sounds like your one mind have been the first batch. might be worth going to the dealer to see if the previous owner ever had the cvt issue fixed. i do remember honda australia recalling some jazz due to cvt problems. if it hasn't been done get it done

if you dont mind me asking, how much did the mechanic charge you to drain the the CVT fluid change? from memory honda retail the cvt fluid alone for about $80-90 for 5L... my mechanic used the full 5L to drain and top it up...
steve
Hoey, the change in question was about $100 worth of fluid. Right price but for a workshop who should have the correct equipment, they IMO needed to do a full change/flush, using the full 7L or something.
Car is off to Honda on Thurs' for a full check. I'll mention to her for them to find out whether the PO did have the car looked at. My opinion after all this is the b*tch who had it before traded it after it got rumbly as she couldn't afford to fix it and the dealer b'sed their way through and sold it on. RACQ need to be alerted to this 'fault' so when their mechanics do the pre-purchase inspection they go back to the seller/dealer and make them fix it before they sell it.

cazz'shonda
14-05-2010, 09:37 AM
Jazz has been taken to Honda by daughter-in-law's family and has been given a total flush this time, not just drain and fill. If this doesn't fix the problem I am told the transmission will be replaced free of charge as according to them it was a known problem and they are required to repair it. Good news for other Jazz owners then for it seems Honda are willing to rectify this problem, even ina 2003 model vehicle well out of warranty.:thumbsup:

ewendc2r
14-05-2010, 10:03 AM
.... And that is why you buy a Honda and not a Holden -- Glad they are coming good on the issue!

cazz'shonda
16-05-2010, 01:29 PM
Yes, it's a good thing they are backing the product. Pity more manufacturers didn't do the same when there are defined issues, where a fair amount of customers present with the almost identical issues.
My days of bagging Honda are long gone.

fundies
16-05-2010, 03:38 PM
I think you got lucky with the replacement. Can't see most Honda dealers making a habit of it.

thommo
16-06-2010, 08:54 AM
cazz'shonda, had the same problem with both my Jazz's. One a 07 Jazz-the dealer replaced the starter clutch after flushing didn't work because Honda said any car with under 160k on the clock will be done free. My other Jazz had done 200k plus and no amount of flushes would fix the problem. I did read another forum on the same problem and came up with the product Oil Extreme which is added to the trans fluid. Being a bit wary of quick fixes I did try it and now have done 260k with no evidence of shudder. I do treat the old girl with a bit of respect though due to her age. Good luck

cazz'shonda
17-06-2010, 07:28 AM
cazz'shonda, had the same problem with both my Jazz's. One a 07 Jazz-the dealer replaced the starter clutch after flushing didn't work because Honda said any car with under 160k on the clock will be done free. My other Jazz had done 200k plus and no amount of flushes would fix the problem. I did read another forum on the same problem and came up with the product Oil Extreme which is added to the trans fluid. Being a bit wary of quick fixes I did try it and now have done 260k with no evidence of shudder. I do treat the old girl with a bit of respect though due to her age. Good luck
Thommo, I think the start clutch has been done too now. The EGR valve was eventually replaced and fixed the erratic running but the start up vibration continued and my daughter in law took the car back for repairs.
I'll check when she gets back from holiday but I am sure all's sorted and everyone is happy.
Kudos to Honda for it as well.

grifty
23-06-2010, 10:28 PM
damn some of you guys do alot of kms!

cazz'shonda
24-06-2010, 06:52 AM
OK, car in at Honda at the moment for the start clutch or transmission replacement. D-I-L not sure what they are actually doing but will find out and let me know.

KaitiesMum
07-09-2011, 02:16 PM
Jazz has been taken to Honda by daughter-in-law's family and has been given a total flush this time, not just drain and fill. If this doesn't fix the problem I am told the transmission will be replaced free of charge as according to them it was a known problem and they are required to repair it. Good news for other Jazz owners then for it seems Honda are willing to rectify this problem, even ina 2003 model vehicle well out of warranty.:thumbsup:

Not sure if you'll see this after all this time but which Honda dealer have you taken it to where they have agreed to replace the transmission? Did this need to be done in the end? Thanks.

GU357
08-09-2011, 10:35 PM
Honda told me that the problem had already affected the start clutch so ill have to live with it, but its like 1600$ for a replacement clutch apparently so if its hell bad u can push for that.

mines 03 and they said they had to ask Honda Australia which is in melbourne we were denied LOL

blue_GD
14-09-2011, 06:06 PM
does anyone have the picture startup clutch a look like ?

GU357
14-09-2011, 08:43 PM
its a multiplate clutch that sits between the CVT and the driveshaft/diff

how can u have a GD8?? its either GD1/2/3/4....

blue_GD
15-09-2011, 02:38 PM
thanks mate for the info .Gd8 basically is Fit Aria. in some asian region Called honda City.

GU357
15-09-2011, 08:36 PM
no worries, and i didnt realise you were in indonesia. that makes sense then for it to be a GD8 ahaha.
Honda City is a nice looking car in my oppinion

Fredoops
16-09-2011, 06:00 PM
Honda had to back their product cause of all the lawsuits and class actions in the US of A.

Part of problem is dealers throwing ATF-z1s in the CVT transmissions ...

blue_GD
16-09-2011, 06:54 PM
no worries, and i didnt realise you were in indonesia. that makes sense then for it to be a GD8 ahaha.
Honda City is a nice looking car in my oppinion

Nice looking car but again the problems also in cvt tranny.. Done change the body valve part still feel the shuddering when in the traffic area that need to stop n go.. Any suggestions ?

GU357
16-09-2011, 10:00 PM
Blue GD- Take it in for a CVT Flush, cost a fair bit of cash, as they use 8L of CVT to flush it out. its not just a oil change the flush it like a toilet, that will help clean it out.

Fredoops- Someone on fit freak told me the Honda Fits over there had a 5speed manual or 5speed auto. No CVT over there :/

Fredoops
16-09-2011, 10:13 PM
Blue GD- Take it in for a CVT Flush, cost a fair bit of cash, as they use 8L of CVT to flush it out. its not just a oil change the flush it like a toilet, that will help clean it out.

Fredoops- Someone on fit freak told me the Honda Fits over there had a 5speed manual or 5speed auto. No CVT over there :/

thats correct, but the same tranny is used in the insight and civic :-)

GU357
16-09-2011, 10:18 PM
ahh ok that makes sense.

blue_GD
17-09-2011, 01:17 AM

some people told me that if flushing the cvt tranny will damage the body valve part, is it true?

GU357
17-09-2011, 01:31 AM
i dont believe so, maybe.
but they just flushing the oil from the CVT, its connected into a pump type thing through some of the radiator hoses or something. i forget what honda said.

blue_GD
17-09-2011, 01:42 AM
i dont believe so, maybe.
but they just flushing the oil from the CVT, its connected into a pump type thing through some of the radiator hoses or something. i forget what honda said.

if the methods of flushing cvt oil via the radiator hoses it wouldn't damage the Body valve parts. that's make sense for me. I wish that my car is still on warranty and get the fresh new cvt Tranny. :(.. because in indonesia the price of fresh cvt tranny is about $ 2,000..

GU357
17-09-2011, 06:36 PM
Yeh, apparently for me the damage and shudder is coming from the start clutch, which will cost me around AUD$1600
but after the flush it was hardly noticable.

infact i gave a R34 GTS-T skyline a thrashing today, he kept taking off as fast as he could to stop at the next set of lights and set them for me.
so eventually i was beside him at the front and i just planted the accelerator at around 70% and left him for dust, since im on my P's (begginer license) i stopped at 70kmh the speed limit n backed off, but the skyline man just had to go to 90kmh to make his point ahaha.

blue_GD
18-09-2011, 12:30 AM
that's cool mate... just remember the speed limit... if you want no speed limit. Please visit to Indonesia, but the traffic is so crowded.. ehehehe :D

GU357
18-09-2011, 11:51 PM
yeh thats true.
but i would rather take it to the track then to indonesia, purely for the price ahaha.

blue_GD
20-09-2011, 12:41 AM
yeh thats true.
but i would rather take it to the track then to indonesia, purely for the price ahaha.

yeh thats true mate... go to the track... eheheheh.....

catfish
30-09-2011, 08:03 AM
I have been told that for MY12 the CVT gear box has been removed, replaced by the classic one. I've asked when I bought it.
Could that be true?

Regards.

GU357
30-09-2011, 09:45 PM
u can feel it in when you drive, just rive down the road accelerating normally and watch the revs, if the revs go up and then drop (with a slight jolt) then continue going up again - that means it is a standard gearbox if the revs stay level or go up and go down only when your backing off the accelerator then its CVT

Eddie
09-01-2012, 11:32 AM
Hi Guys,

Does all Jazz model from 02 - 08 has a CVT gearbox including the 1.3 GLI model????

From what i read.. i should use the CVT gearbox oil over the ATF right?

I have a 02 jazz 1.3 gli

GU357
09-01-2012, 02:49 PM
All GD auto models (first gen) which includes your one have the CVT gear box,
definately use honda CVT fluid not regular ATF as this will damage the gear box.

the GE (08 - now) have regular gearboxes.

Eddie
09-01-2012, 03:38 PM
Thanks

Do you know how many litres is needed to fill up the box?

since it cost around $24 for a 1ltr bottle. don't want to overspend

trying to save here hahaha

GU357
10-01-2012, 12:46 AM
hmmm i thought it be around 4. just get honda to do it on your next service and ask them exactly how many litres they should do it for free with a service and just charge for oil :)

dont get the flush though unless u really feel the shutter, the flush is the best oil change but requires 8L and a machine to flush it. so pricey....

Fredoops
10-01-2012, 08:31 AM
Thanks

Do you know how many litres is needed to fill up the box?

since it cost around $24 for a 1ltr bottle. don't want to overspend

trying to save here hahaha

Www.Carservice.com.au

It outlines the service schedules and mount of fluids used as well as a service price guide.