PDA

View Full Version : Changing back from HIDs

E-Gene
09-05-2010, 09:04 PM
Hey guys,

I've had HIDs on my Euro for over 2 years now but I've now decided to switch them back to stock now that I've got my car back from the hail repair.

The funny thing is, I can't seem to remember if my original H1 lo beam bulb had 2 pins or 1? I bought a set of Phillips Crystal Visions from AB and when I tried to put them in, I realised that there were 2 connectors but only 1 pin on the bulb.

Am I missing something?

iLlusion10
09-05-2010, 09:19 PM
Out of curiosity, how come you're changing them back to normal halogens =S

E-Gene
09-05-2010, 09:23 PM
Well, one of the ballast blew so instead on changing HIDs, I decided that I want them back to stock.

OMG.JAI xD
09-05-2010, 09:38 PM
I never knew h1 had 2 pins.
H1 should only have one pin. But on the connector, some might have 2 pins. 1 is your ground , but its a part of the connector. It doesnt go to anywhere else.
On some other cars, the headlight it self is grounded, and eliminates the other wire.
You should only have a connector with 1 female plug.

E-Gene
09-05-2010, 09:48 PM
That's the thing. I know that H1 bulbs only have 1 pin and I know that my car takes H1 lo beam bulbs but where are there 2 female connectors? I tried to only connect 1 of them and tested it but the bulb doesn't light up.

iLlusion10
09-05-2010, 09:55 PM
maybe take a picture, not sure what u mean, and yea there should be only 1 pin, 1 pin for positive, 1 pin connects to ground.

E-Gene
09-05-2010, 10:10 PM
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x244/e-gene/P1020825Large.jpg

Here's the 2 connectors. Did I misplace some kind of adaptor?

E-Gene
09-05-2010, 10:33 PM
The funny thing is that even the user manual shows that there should only be 1 connector. What am I missing here? Feels like it's right in front of me but I'm stumped. Feel like a real noob to not be able to change my own light bulb.

iLlusion10
09-05-2010, 10:39 PM
OH yes, the plug with the black wire should plug in the headlight housing, I forgot exactly where it is, i think it's at the bottom just underneath where the bulb connector should be, and the red wire should connect to the h1 bulb itself.

Reason being, the h1 bulb connector acts as a conductor for the "ground", so the plug should go there.

E-Gene
09-05-2010, 10:59 PM
Really? Is it that easy? So there's a male connector somewhere on the bulb housing that the black wire should go?

So does it mean that the bulb will not light up unless I've plugged both connectors to their rightful place?

Too late now, will have to give it another go tomorrow. *cross* fingers.

iLlusion10
09-05-2010, 11:11 PM
yea that's right, plug the black wire there, and it should work =]

OMG.JAI xD
09-05-2010, 11:56 PM
Dude. By that picture. Youve completely removed the wires from the connector plug. Both those wires end up in the same connector.

DC2-PWR
10-05-2010, 12:13 AM
Dude. By that picture. Youve completely removed the wires from the connector plug. Both those wires end up in the same connector.

Yeah exactly,

The end of those wires you showed us should look like this or simular
http://ed-llc.com/11/9006-3.jpg

So that it can plug into the orignal socket for the lights to work.

E-Gene
10-05-2010, 01:56 PM

Same connector? What do you mean? I did what I had to do to get my HIDs to work and they did. Just can't remember where I got both the wires from.

E-Gene
10-05-2010, 02:00 PM
Yeah exactly,

The end of those wires you showed us should look like this or simular
http://ed-llc.com/11/9006-3.jpg

So that it can plug into the orignal socket for the lights to work.

But the H1 bulb only has 1 pin. The image above has 2 female sockets.

Can someone take a photo of their lights?

racerwannabe
10-05-2010, 10:21 PM
E-Gene, what illusion said is correct. The black wire connects to a pin in the light housing which is hard to see. The red connects to the H1 bulb. I know coz I installed a HID kit a few weeks ago.

E-Gene
10-05-2010, 10:25 PM
Yup, thanks guys for all your help. Put the wires in their rightful places and we're in business. Kinda happy to have it back as stock again.

MR_LATE
01-06-2010, 07:56 PM
thanks guys, came across by accident, today i tried to put my hid back to stock while i wait for new hids to come,,,didnt know where the toher female connector went so i gave up but thanks to this thread .. giving a nother shot tomro

djpro1
01-06-2010, 08:11 PM
Ahh my HID ballast blew yesterday too. Now I'm driving on one so I'm thinking of reverting back to stock.

Just FYI, there is another mount for the black wire? And the red wire goes on the bulb itself. E - Gene, could you please take a photo as I've forgotten which wire goes where! Or if you can explain which wire is wired to the bulb itself.

Cheers

MR_LATE
04-06-2010, 11:55 AM
Ahh my HID ballast blew yesterday too. Now I'm driving on one so I'm thinking of reverting back to stock.

Just FYI, there is another mount for the black wire? And the red wire goes on the bulb itself. E - Gene, could you please take a photo as I've forgotten which wire goes where! Or if you can explain which wire is wired to the bulb itself.

Cheers

red wire goes to bulb. and the black wire goes near the housing..(the connector is almost opposite to where the clip/pin hold in) if that makes sense..feel with ur thumb :D

djpro1
07-06-2010, 07:13 PM
red wire goes to bulb. and the black wire goes near the housing..(the connector is almost opposite to where the clip/pin hold in) if that makes sense..feel with ur thumb :D

Yep great thanks. I just forgot which wire goes where haha. Somehow my left side HID came back to life after giving it a good tap. Changed the parkers back to stock yellow since they blew on both sides... They really don't last long!