PDA

View Full Version : Gear 1-2

Engin09
10-05-2010, 08:39 PM
Hey guys when i start my car and first take it out as the engine is cold changing from gear 1 -2 is really bad.. also when i engage it into 1 and take off i hear a cracking noise when letting go of the clutch as if im going over plastic. then when in second and taking off the clutch it does it again but disapears for the rest of the gears, any1 know whats up? thank you

euromandeluxe
10-05-2010, 09:35 PM
so you're getting crunch when engaging 1st and when engaging 2nd?

how many k's on the car? has the gearbox seen a hard life? when was the last mtf change, and is it oem mtf?

my car crunches 1-2 quite often - even with sedate driving. there was a TSB (in the us?) released after the first batch of ap1s addressing the crunch. i'm not sure if that's what's going on with mine - search s2ki for "crunch 2nd" for more info.

maybe your 1st and 2nd synchros are shot, or your clutch isn't disengaging fully?

I think the tsb had to do with the 2nd gear engaging before the synchros meshed, resulting in fail rpm matching and crunchh.

also, shifting is always more difficult when the box is cold - is it better when it gets to operating temp?

good luck with it.

maddog1
11-05-2010, 01:00 AM
thats strange....my car doesnt crunch

euromandeluxe
11-05-2010, 01:04 AM
if i don't shift with perfect technique, i get a crunch now and then. not all the time, but enough of the time for me to notice.

sambalam
11-05-2010, 11:19 AM
if i don't shift with perfect technique, i get a crunch now and then. not all the time, but enough of the time for me to notice.

exactly the same deal for me

Marst4r
11-05-2010, 12:20 PM
lately i have been getting the exact issue as engin! only started happening about a week ago.

it was shifting perfectly smoothly, but i am now experiencing gear crunching and sometimes engaging 1st is a bitch. however a few days ago... i pushed it quite hard into 1st and it felt like something budged, and the shifting became smooth again between 1-2. then the next day the grinding feeling came back... would it have something to do with the synchros?

maddog1
11-05-2010, 12:22 PM
oh ok....my car tends to bounce if i shift at 9000rpm

BaSsMaXiMuS
11-05-2010, 06:55 PM
Check you oil. A number of people report gear box crunching and one remedy is to change the oil. I have used redline gearbox oil and it has improved the shifts to a smoother feel.

Try researching about it first and then come to a conclusion.

From the redline website

"Select your closest climate range. For -10配o25蚓 use 'MTL' or 5配o35蚓 use 'MTL' or 15配o50蚓 use 'MT90'. (* For heavy towing and severe usage use MT90. Advantage option for Racing Only use 'Superlight Shockproof'.) @ 1.5 Litres = 2 US Quarts"

jbird
11-05-2010, 07:16 PM
http://forums.s2kca.com/archive/index.php/t-1178.html

Engin09
13-05-2010, 05:49 PM
thanks so much guys ill give the car a service this weekend and change the gearbox oil etc.. :) lets see how that goes. OH and some wanker dented my car with their door today and drove off! so cut.

eight
13-05-2010, 07:33 PM
as someone has mentioned. it could do with the technique and revs which you are shifting at.

i do remember when i first started with the S, i was crunching gears 1-2 now and again. you do get used to it, but hopefully with a change of fluids that helps it as well

good luck!

Engin09
14-05-2010, 11:43 AM
Thanks to Jbird(James) who came over and found the problem or problems.. lol getting a service tommorow the master cylinder was leaking? thats why the crunch ;( . ill bring back ur break fluid asap :D

gamgam
14-05-2010, 04:15 PM
same problem here except mainly going into second and unfortunately I get it when I go into third as well, planning to do a fluid change asap... but on a side note what rpms are you guys shifting at for normal driving?

Engin09
16-05-2010, 06:45 PM
between 3-4k rpms for me usually, its your oil most likely, i just changed every single oil in the car, including gearbox and i topped of the oil for the master clutch cylinder. my gears no longer crunch, they are heaps smooth just check your oils itll most likely be that, and do it soon before you do real damage to the gearbox from crunching.

jbird
16-05-2010, 11:54 PM
For normal driving shift around 3.5-4k

Check your clutch fluid. The clutch master cylinder is located on the firewall next to your exhaust heatshield. Any DOT4 brake and clutch fluid should be used to top it up.

Engin - all fixed man? Is your M/cyl still leakin?

Engin09
17-05-2010, 12:47 AM
yo james, ye its all good im not sure if its leaking so far its been all good, ill return your oil asap, when your on msn ill shout out to ya lol. and im going to order it and change it either way.. ill do that after the coil overs :) and i need to talk to u bout selling my lip..

jbird
17-05-2010, 11:30 AM
yo james, ye its all good im not sure if its leaking so far its been all good, ill return your oil asap, when your on msn ill shout out to ya lol. and im going to order it and change it either way.. ill do that after the coil overs :) and i need to talk to u bout selling my lip..

It's fluid not oil man

Yeah just keep an eye on it make sure it doesn't leak.

All good, if your driving past just put it next to the tyres near my car or whatever. If my dad sees you just run.

cbb putting the lip on aye?

F20C
04-06-2010, 06:51 PM
so you're getting crunch when engaging 1st and when engaging 2nd?

how many k's on the car? has the gearbox seen a hard life? when was the last mtf change, and is it oem mtf?

my car crunches 1-2 quite often - even with sedate driving. there was a TSB (in the us?) released after the first batch of ap1s addressing the crunch. i'm not sure if that's what's going on with mine - search s2ki for "crunch 2nd" for more info.

maybe your 1st and 2nd synchros are shot, or your clutch isn't disengaging fully?

I think the tsb had to do with the 2nd gear engaging before the synchros meshed, resulting in fail rpm matching and crunchh.

also, shifting is always more difficult when the box is cold - is it better when it gets to operating temp?

good luck with it.

TSB was worldwide. Many of the s2000's people own on these forums wont be in warrenty anymore anyway. Unless you have an 05+ lol. Essendon honda said they would consider it (cause i knew one of the guys) but the manager or whatever he was didnt wanna do it. Might get lucky though ;)

euromandeluxe
04-06-2010, 09:51 PM
TSB was worldwide. Many of the s2000's people own on these forums wont be in warrenty anymore anyway. Unless you have an 05+ lol. Essendon honda said they would consider it (cause i knew one of the guys) but the manager or whatever he was didnt wanna do it. Might get lucky though ;)

ahh thanks for that. lol, my car's a '99. they'll put it down to 10 years of wear and tear - i don't think they'd even think about it.

maybe i'll try anyway :D i used to service my euro at essendon so i know some of the people there.

fromdeeeast
08-06-2010, 06:00 PM
My s2000 has started to do the same thing as OP, crunches 1-2 and it feels as if the clutch isn't fully engaging.

Im getting the gearbox oil changed next week. Should I use OEM MTF or go for something like redline?

euromandeluxe
08-06-2010, 08:35 PM
My s2000 has started to do the same thing as OP, crunches 1-2 and it feels as if the clutch isn't fully engaging.

Im getting the gearbox oil changed next week. Should I use OEM MTF or go for something like redline?

i'm gonna do mine next week and i'm gonna use OEM. seems like a subjective topic to me.

fromdeeeast
08-06-2010, 11:06 PM
Realised something strange, it usually crunches in low revs. Hmmm

Engin09
10-06-2010, 02:23 AM
Realised something strange, it usually crunches in low revs

haha, you have the same problem as me, try changing between 3.5-4k revs, and makes sure its a really smooth change, done put the clutch in then wait till revs drop then change, do it all at once. clutch in change, nice and smooth.

your problem is air in your clutch, go bleed out your clutch, and changing the gearbox oil wont benefit.. it didnt smoothen up untill a new mechanic bleed the system and then it started to change heaps smooth.

s2kjn
10-06-2010, 01:28 PM
Same happened to me. Changed the master cylinder, bled out the fluid, as good as new!

s2kjn
10-06-2010, 01:30 PM
Ps, Engin9 do u go to Macq uni?

Engin09
17-06-2010, 03:48 PM
ye i go to mac :) y lol?