PDA

View Full Version : Performance help with 1987 Civic engine.

crazy2287
14-05-2010, 12:11 AM
Hey guys, I've joined here to hopefully make use of your collective wealth of information regarding the civic.

I've recently ran into a bit of work witht eh misses 1987, 2 door 1.5ltr carby honda civic.
she is dead set on having it repaired so ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

i'm wondering what you guys do to make these things a good drive.
recently the misses came back from the shops telling me of a nose from the engine. i had a listen and it sounded like it had dropped a valve. So i've pulled the head off to find the cam gear bolt loose and the key way on the cam gear had disintegrated. i assume the cam gear had spun 180deg and re-engaged. causing a valve to start striking the cylinder.
The only way i agreed to fix it was to "nonstandard" the engine and maby give it a bit of go. Contacting the cam grinders in auz was fruitless. and i don't want factory.

I'm hoping i can suck up some of the info here. about different engines, compatible heads, available cams, carb modifications (the pollution gear on these things are is overboard) or efi (i know there is an efi model of this engine somewhere)

it makes it a bit tedious researching these things as they changed the damn engine 3 times a year! LOL

Basically, i want it reliable with a bit more boogy then it had before.

Cheers.
-Crazy2287

(First post woot )

Jonathon
14-05-2010, 08:31 AM
put in a B16A DOHC this is the engine from the JDM model it's EFI and 160 HP so get that power you looking for don't have to change much if you look around on ozhonda your find all the info you need to do the swap
your current engine is a D15B4 -1 double carb SOHC 100 HP if it is after November
before that it is a EW2 -16 Single carb SOHC 84 HP not sure on the swap or the engine

crazy2287
14-05-2010, 08:54 AM
Thanks J!
The current engine is not a dual carb, dose that make a difference?
Is there somewhere on the engine this code is printed to i can find out what it atcually is?

JDM? all these acronyms and lingo is totally new to me. I'm coming from an X-falcon background here. Everything is really simple on the 80's falcons 8P
So i'll just pump in b16a DOHC engine swap into a search? and im guessing these engines are eazily available from wreckers and the like, or even off members of this forum?

~Sp33~
14-05-2010, 07:50 PM
Thanks J!
The current engine is not a dual carb, dose that make a difference?
Is there somewhere on the engine this code is printed to i can find out what it atcually is?

JDM? all these acronyms and lingo is totally new to me. I'm coming from an X-falcon background here. Everything is really simple on the 80's falcons 8P
So i'll just pump in b16a DOHC engine swap into a search? and im guessing these engines are eazily available from wreckers and the like, or even off members of this forum?

Don't worry about the B16, it was never made to work in your chassis and is far too much work to get started (custom mounts, linkages....) There's not a lot in the way of swapping engines really, that particular chassis did come with a twin cam fuel injected engine (the d16a1), which is the engine commonly found in the 86-89 Integra's. If you wanted to take on the wiring then that's probably the easiest swap for you. The engine is rated at about 120HP, and they're not hard to come by.

You could check out www.redpepperracing.com they deal a lot with that chassis in particular, so they're far more knowledgeable than most people on OzHonda.

Have you tried realigning the cam gear and seeing how it runs? If your wife made it home, i don't know if there would have been too much damage done. if any at all.

crazy2287
14-05-2010, 09:53 PM
The car was idling still, maby a bit rough but nothing unusual as its always been a bit... f*Ted. i mean, it used to stall when you turned right and accelerated. not left... only right. Float level? never got a have to look at the carb.

Wiring's my thing so if that's all that was required for the swap (besides obvious fuel delivery mods) then shouldn't be too much trouble.

I couldn't just re-seat the cam gear as the key is gone, will upload pics shortly. The key' is part of the "bush" that's pressed into the gear and from the looks of it, it was never made to be removed, the metal has been deformed to hold the "bush" in. So the gear will require replacement, got quoted about $130 replacement. so about 115 trade. plus that wouldent fix the rest of the problems.. blow by, choke not working, hard starting, stalling and a million oil leaks.

Is that 120hp at the fly or at the wheels? what dose the original motor have from factory?

I was originally going to try a more aggressive cam and just do a basic rebuild of the rest of the motor. then if i couldent get the carb to work, rip out all the pollution gear and just run it TBI with a megasquirt ecu. But cant source cam. and quite honestly i know SFA about these cars.

Again thank you guys already for your help!
I hope i can contribute some back to the forum in the future as i hate been a dead weight!

~Sp33~
14-05-2010, 11:09 PM
The 120hp was at the fly, and back when it was brand spanking.

Here's a write up that's a good read.

http://technet.ff-squad.com/how-to/84-87hybrid/

Steve.

crazy2287
15-05-2010, 12:04 AM
http://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p425/crazy2287/Vickis%20civic/DSCF2416.jpg
http://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p425/crazy2287/Vickis%20civic/P5140004.jpg
http://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p425/crazy2287/Vickis%20civic/P5140006.jpg
http://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p425/crazy2287/Vickis%20civic/P5140008.jpg
http://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p425/crazy2287/Vickis%20civic/P5140011.jpg
http://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p425/crazy2287/Vickis%20civic/P5140013.jpg

and just for wank with no help to the thread at all. Sick bro!
http://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p425/crazy2287/Vickis%20civic/4.jpg

~Sp33~
15-05-2010, 12:15 AM
Car looks pretty straight, it'd be a shame to see it die.

All the valves look in tact, did you have the engine at TDC when you removed the head? Weird that cylinder 1's exhaust valve is opening and cylinder 4's intake valves.

crazy2287
15-05-2010, 12:30 AM
Nah bro just ripped her off, no plan on just doing a head then putting back together. Was going to try and rebuild, so i wasn't worried about crank position. Prolly tell by my hack job too, i was a bit frustrated with it >.>
<.<
Just moving and having half my tools in one place and half 5 hours drive away didn't help either.
The misses panel and painted the car at tec. among other things. I might try and get her to come on here and create a build/project thread for it. You guys into that stuff?

Dont worry bout that, the misses is on mah back, she is dead set she wants to see it live again.

~Sp33~
15-05-2010, 07:09 PM
Haha, yeah there's nothing like a good build thread.

fat_85_civic
15-05-2010, 08:57 PM
ive got a whole engine with about 90K kms on it if you want it. was running pretty good last time i had it going (ages ago) but it might need some new exhaust studs. other than that ive got heaps of spares, just let me know what you need.

Personally i would swap in the D16A3 out of a 86-88 teg. Pretty much bolt in all you have to do is a bit of wiring that isnt too hard. Ive done it and they go really well with that engine.

Actually im about to pull my D16 out to wack it into a new body, i could easily show you how to do it.

I should have some good suspension parts too soon if your after anything like that.

Luke

crazy2287
16-05-2010, 11:11 AM
Thanks Luke, I'm in old erowal bay (nowra) so only a wee bit from you. Would be good to sort something out!
difference between the d16a1-d16a3? Is the final digit just a series indicator. so D16 is the motor type and a1 is its series? Or are there major differences, ie dohc - sohc different heads.

~Sp33~
16-05-2010, 03:42 PM
It's the same thing.

fat_85_civic
16-05-2010, 08:34 PM
the a1 is the america version, a few small diferences but we dont have them over here. My parents house (where i do most of my work on my car) is in falls creek. We're so close. If you want we could organise for you to come get any parts you need some time or have alook at my swap.

Luke

fat_85_civic
16-05-2010, 08:38 PM
the a1 is the American version, a few small differences but we dont have them over here. My parents house (where i do most of my work on my car) is in falls creek. We're so close. If you want we could organize for you to come get any parts you need some time or have alook at my swap.

Luke

crazy2287
16-05-2010, 10:25 PM
Sounds good, Would be good to have a look even just to see what it all looks like at the moment. No doubt i'll be keeping in touch during the mod.
This week im on eary shift, finish at 1430 and ill be away this weekend. PM me what your doing and when a good time for you is and ill see what im doing.

fat_85_civic
24-05-2010, 06:47 PM
How you goin man?
Im pretty busy at uni atm but in a month im on hols so should have some time to come down to nowra and do some work.

crazy2287
26-05-2010, 11:38 AM
going fine. Havent started anything on the car yet. I might start tracking down parts this weekend.
Let me know closer to the date, got a few things going on next month. Looking foward to see your install.
When you did it did you just get a front cut?

markismaximus
26-05-2010, 11:51 AM
that car is pretty straight for its age, its cleaner than my ED. Will be awesome to see this thing going. Theres just something about old school hondas

SHOGUNOVDDRK
26-05-2010, 12:07 PM
There's not a lot in the way of swapping engines really, that particular chassis did come with a twin cam fuel injected engine (the d16a1), which is the engine commonly found in the 86-89 Integra's. If you wanted to take on the wiring then that's probably the easiest swap for you.

<snip>

Steves right here all of the above (even the snipped) though I disagree about B-series, also bare in mind you can carb them without major difficulty.

The misses panel and painted the car at tec. among other things. I might try and get her to come on here and create a build/project thread for it. You guys into that stuff?

Dont worry bout that, the misses is on mah back, she is dead set she wants to see it live again.

She did a beautiful job on the car.

Build thread is a must!!!

When you did it did you just get a front cut?

I think Luke got a whole integra (normally works out cheaper)

Most of the Integra stuff fits and is a big upgrade for the civic, ebays been a little dry lately for 1G tegs so best of luck hunting

crazy2287
06-06-2010, 11:56 PM
Is this the right car for the engine i need?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/HONDA-INTEGRA-SX16-GREAT-LITTLE-CAR-NO-RESERVE-/160441308489?cmd=ViewItem&pt=AU_Cars&hash=item255b0c1549

~Sp33~
07-06-2010, 12:42 AM
That's the car, good luck with those particular sellers though. They're difficult to work with.

crazy2287
07-06-2010, 10:57 AM
Was there a problem with the transmissions in the 88 integras? The wreckers seem to have a hard time obtaining them and one of them told me that they were all faulty?

crazy2287
07-06-2010, 11:24 AM
found a full d16 conversion from an integra in Melbourne w/ a manual transmission for 900 inc freight. Sound alright to you guys?

fat_85_civic
07-06-2010, 03:32 PM
yeah man, tha'ts a good price if the engine and g-box are ok. I bought a whole teg with blown big end bearing for 500. Their is a whole heap of stuff you can swap onto your car like the brakes and suspension.
Their is no problems with the transmissions that i know of. I am about to get my spare one rebuilt and put in tho with a LSD.

~Sp33~
07-06-2010, 03:37 PM
found a full d16 conversion from an integra in Melbourne w/ a manual transmission for 900 inc freight. Sound alright to you guys?

It'd be nice if it could be heard running. For a decent engine and gearbox though, that's a good price.

crazy2287
19-12-2010, 05:14 PM
I'm back in again to terrorize you all. I've had my ford at the track now so focus is shifting off her a bit. Time to get this damn civic rolling again.
I'm pretty sure this is the car i need but i thought i better run it past you guys
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Honda-Integra-2dr-hatchback-1988-Model-/200555204375?pt=AU_Cars&hash=item2eb2058f17

The vehicle pictured contains the correct engine and box for the swap?

~Sp33~
19-12-2010, 06:33 PM
That's the one.

crazy2287
19-12-2010, 10:39 PM
Thanks! Im trying to pressure the misses into a build thread. See what happens XP
(Sorta like anal. AM I RIGHT? =D )
... no? Too far? Ok. >.>

crazy2287
23-12-2010, 02:08 PM
managed to snaffel the integra for $5hungie. So misses will make build thread or die D:<

~Sp33~
23-12-2010, 05:14 PM
Sweet, looking forward to it.

dougie_504
24-12-2010, 10:37 AM
Awesome. Glad you pushed her into it!

crazy2287
01-01-2011, 10:50 PM
just picked the integra up. runs well. took it for a hot stop and revs full range nicely. box feels a little stiff but shifts well. service and some good oil with g70 might help that.
power winda even work. Kinda a shame that we are gonna rip it's heart out. better bite the bullet, i have..... 9 cars.... really gotta clean the yard up ^^'

What eazy performance mods are usual for these engines? I'll get it done while the engine and box is out.

~Sp33~
01-01-2011, 11:53 PM
Just throwing it out there, but would it be easier to keep the integra?

crazy2287
02-01-2011, 11:52 AM
yes.... alot XD only thing wrong with it is front right shock sounds like its come undone. paint job'snot tooooooooooooooooo bad but it was a dodgy job. Wonnder what the weight difference is between the 2 models.

~Sp33~
02-01-2011, 12:55 PM
The hatch was 860kgs vs 1055kg

depending on trim levels ofcourse.

crazy2287
15-05-2011, 11:09 PM
Well the misses was having doubts about pulling the heart form the integra. I made her drive it every now and then to keep the engine moving and in good nick. She came back one day saying how good it goes so i said "Then register the fkin thing so we have another car to drive!" Well, spent an hour rewiring the indicators and took it in, passed blue, rego. Sweet. So have been driving it around. Gave it an oil change and coolant, tweaked the timing and boom. Drove it to Sydney. It goes awesomely! uses under 7 liters per 100km which is something im not used to with the old falcon. It seems to have plenty of torque, dosent die on hills like i expected it too. a MILLION times better then the civics engine. it could use a taller 5th gear.
Had some dodgy leads but fixed em up. and the fuel pump had been dodgy a couple of times but its still going.
This weekend the alternator died. it had me DROPPING offline. SO HARD to get the alternator out!??1 Ended up pulling the regulator down in situ and replacing the bushes from under the car. back on the road. I can see why tehy go so well in the civics been how well it pokes along with the extra weight of the integra.

BTW. fat_85_civic
It just so happens you used to live just down the road from a friend of mine from the Falcon club. I call him Schmoburgur. Really suss weedy looking guy who LOVES Combi's. He was telling me of his neighbor that put an integra engine in a civic like i intended too, and i was like, Yeah! that's the guy who told me to do it! Lol. Sweeet.