PDA

View Full Version : Modding the Euro on P plates

djpro1
16-05-2010, 11:32 AM
Hey guys, I obviously know that modding your car on ur p plates is illegal. ie. aftermarket intake , exhaust (pretty much anything to do with engine performance enhancement)

It also voids your insurance claim from what I hear. But how, how does an insurance company find out that you have for instance an aftermarket CAI in ur engine bay after an accident? I'm guessing it'd have to be a major accident where the police get involved? For small insurance claims such as a replacement of the bumper, it'd be covered by the person at fault.

If there are any P platers out there or know of P platers that have done a few mods such as the intake and exhaust and have been driving around... is it possible to drive around without getting defected?

Please don't comment saying "just wait till your on ur full license etc.." or "its stupid to have mods when you are on ur P's, wait it out". I clearly know the risks and I just want to know if there are people out there driving around with aftermarket goods on their P plates under the radar.

Thanks

RiceMeister
16-05-2010, 11:41 AM
I'm a P Plater and am insured with AAMI.

I've installed catback exhaust as well as CAI in my car and then rang them up and notified them of the modifications, as well as all my other mods and they added it onto my list of mods on my insurance policy.

There's no law saying you can't modify on P Plates....I don't think?

djpro1
16-05-2010, 11:52 AM
I'm a P Plater and am insured with AAMI.

I've installed catback exhaust as well as CAI in my car and then rang them up and notified them of the modifications, as well as all my other mods and they added it onto my list of mods on my insurance policy.

There's no law saying you can't modify on P Plates....I don't think?

All engine modifications to improve power whilst on P plates since 2007 has been illegal. Did you get your P's before 2007?

Also, did your insurance go up along with the mods?

I'm thinking of letting them know that my parents did the mods instead to my Euro and I'm just a secondary driver because the insurance policy is under my parents name.

But if I do that, then I am no longer legal to drive the vehicle as I would be prohibited from driving modified vehicles :(

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/gettingalicence/200707_p1.html

Vehicles – You must not drive any vehicle with:
Eight or more cylinders (except Diesel).
A turbocharged or supercharged engine (diesel powered engines exempt).
Modifications that increase engine performance.
Any other vehicle identified by the RTA – further details available on the RTA website.

THEEYA
16-05-2010, 01:43 PM
Thought it was, u are able to modify, as long as it doesn't need an engineers certificate.

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/gettingalicence/car/p1p2_conditions.html?llid=4

djpro1
16-05-2010, 02:39 PM
Thought it was, u are able to modify, as long as it doesn't need an engineers certificate.

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/gettingalicence/car/p1p2_conditions.html?llid=4

and what exactly requires an engineers cert?

i just want a catback exhaust and already have an injen cai :) I should probably call up rta and aami about the cover though!

elitee
16-05-2010, 02:54 PM
You wont need one for a exhaust system and cai

I'm fairly sure its for major mods, Turbo's etc

djpro1
16-05-2010, 03:03 PM
You wont need one for a exhaust system and cai

I'm fairly sure its for major mods, Turbo's etc

ahh I see.. but the question still remains.. is it legal for a p plater to have these few mods ?or does it depend on the copper that pulls u over haha

namtaro
16-05-2010, 03:14 PM
if you think about it, you are driving an accord euro, meaning, 4 door, meaning family car. Cops wouldnt pull you over unless you are speeding imo. Ive been pulled over so much in my eg civic, and it has a carby engine. Where as my accord cd5, with h22a and mods, never been pulled over. So i reakon you will be safe.

djpro1
16-05-2010, 03:17 PM
if you think about it, you are driving an accord euro, meaning, 4 door, meaning family car. Cops wouldnt pull you over unless you are speeding imo. Ive been pulled over so much in my eg civic, and it has a carby engine. Where as my accord cd5, with h22a and mods, never been pulled over. So i reakon you will be safe.

haha gotcha :) i'll try aami a call on Monday and see how that'd work with my insurance. been looking at the skunk2 exhaust for a while now... almost $1000 shipped and delivered!

elitee
16-05-2010, 03:26 PM
haha gotcha :) i'll try aami a call on Monday and see how that'd work with my insurance. been looking at the skunk2 exhaust for a while now... almost $1000 shipped and delivered!

Where from ? Heel toe ?

im looking at the same thing

djpro1
16-05-2010, 03:33 PM
Where from ? Heel toe ?

im looking at the same thing

on ebay motors from the states. its about 650 USD and 300$ shipping..

http://shop.ebay.com.au/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m570.l1313&_nkw=skunk2+exhaust&_sacat=See-All-Categories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SKUNK2-MegaPower-Exhaust-Catback-03-04-05-06-Acura-TSX-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem414d45bdc4QQitemZ28046 9290436QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries#ht_2305wt_1161
this is the one I'm after

sound : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuM4ItJtLWo

Lochstar_69
16-05-2010, 03:58 PM
i have the skunk2 exhaust on my euro........ im a red p plater in victoria about to graduate to green p's
we are the same as NSW, we are not allowed any mods on our new laws. however my car is lowered, exhaust, and CAI,
i have had the exhaust on since boxing day. cops have pulled me over for random breathos and told me to turn my music down, but they never mention the exhaust or mods.

i dont think they care unless you get caught hooning and speeding. they are more interested in commodores with stockies and pacemaker exhausts. they barely look twice at a euro :D.

Its your choice, really my car is covered as my fathers the owner and im a permitted driver of it... but yeh if your gonna behave and not hang 2nd gear in 50km/h zones down main streets trying to get attention then youll be fine......

As for the skunk2 exhaust, I LOVE IT,
BUT!

if its your daily car, it is very loud and can get tiring when driving to work every day. but im used to it now, so i just turn the music up.

and iTS VERY LOUD :D and makes a bit of a power gain probably more than more than other exhausts for euros, it is noticeable especiallly around 5500rpm :D

Lochstar_69
16-05-2010, 04:02 PM
P.S the silencers do nothing! i tried them, and it didnt make a difference in sound it only made it look shocking and lose the power gain....

Mugen_Euro
16-05-2010, 11:17 PM
mate i got the typhoon K&N CAI in my euro i have to say i hoon a fair bit and have never been pulled up. Also if you do get pulled up even for speeding chances are that they wnt get u to pop the hood
coz by the time u see the cop lights ud back of the throttle and ur CAI wouldnt make a sound u kno...
but yer its def illegal in victoria mate. so just dnt pass by a cop at 5500 + rpm if u kno what i mean....

djpro1
17-05-2010, 01:11 AM
i have the skunk2 exhaust on my euro........ im a red p plater in victoria about to graduate to green p's
we are the same as NSW, we are not allowed any mods on our new laws. however my car is lowered, exhaust, and CAI,
i have had the exhaust on since boxing day. cops have pulled me over for random breathos and told me to turn my music down, but they never mention the exhaust or mods.

i dont think they care unless you get caught hooning and speeding. they are more interested in commodores with stockies and pacemaker exhausts. they barely look twice at a euro :D.

Its your choice, really my car is covered as my fathers the owner and im a permitted driver of it... but yeh if your gonna behave and not hang 2nd gear in 50km/h zones down main streets trying to get attention then youll be fine......

As for the skunk2 exhaust, I LOVE IT,
BUT!

if its your daily car, it is very loud and can get tiring when driving to work every day. but im used to it now, so i just turn the music up.

and iTS VERY LOUD :D and makes a bit of a power gain probably more than more than other exhausts for euros, it is noticeable especiallly around 5500rpm :D

If you had an accident though, because it is illegal anyway for you to drive that vehicle due to the mods, wouldn't insurance try and void the claim though? In the case of a large accident/claim

I am leaning towards getting the skunk2 now! Also, how much did it cost you to fit one and how long did it take for the guys to fit it? Cheers

Lochstar_69
17-05-2010, 05:37 PM
i got mine fitted bby my local mechanic was done by lunchtime. the hardest part is getting the bolts undone from the cat i tried DIY'ing it but i couldnt get the leaverage under the car so for a mechanic its pretty easy. i think it only cost me about $110, i cant remember, i think.