PDA

View Full Version : dohc vs sohc

phils_herre
28-11-2003, 12:31 AM
just thought i'd ask... wat is the major difference between a SOHC and a DOHC motor... is there a power difference or is one superior to the other or not really much different at all

dc2r
28-11-2003, 05:23 AM
Single Over Head Cam versus Double Over Head Cam.
Just like saying 2 heads are better than 1.
DOHC will have more power. Two cams controlling intake and exhaust rather than one. Try comparing a vti to a vtir motor.

XXpl0Sive
28-11-2003, 08:46 AM
www.howstuffworks.com

look up basics of how an engine works.

Weq
28-11-2003, 10:54 AM
Single Over Head Cam versus Double Over Head Cam.
Just like saying 2 heads are better than 1.
DOHC will have more power. Two cams controlling intake and exhaust rather than one. Try comparing a vti to a vtir motor.

/me holds the SOHC high
U cant say just cause something is DOHC, it makes it more powerful then any SOHC :) ON a engine to head basic, yes a DOHC varient of the model will have more power(stock).. i think thats what u meant to say.

dc2r
28-11-2003, 04:05 PM
Sorry, I thought he was talking about in Honda's coz this is the Honda forum. But like you said, in stock form, the DOHC engine should make more power.

phils_herre
28-11-2003, 04:53 PM
ahhh i see... lol was just confused coz i read somewhere that some ppl like sohc better than the dohc engines...

so i guess if it is a honda such as the 4gen preludes, dohc is better than sohc, and vtec is king... :P

thanks xxplosive, sweet sight u got there

bennjamin
28-11-2003, 05:03 PM
Really...in no known situation/layout have i seen SOHC being superior to DOHC in terms of bottom end , head flow, relative torque , and peak HP.

For example , a SOHC vti engine makes 96kw at its peak , And a DOHC Si engine makes 96kw at its peak. But driven both in stock and modded form , a DOHC flows and thus pulls alot better. It is a basic fact that 2 cams is better than one to control inlet and outlet .

But , SOHC is lighter :P And easier to turbo :P

Dxs
28-11-2003, 05:36 PM
benjamin..
but the si is a non vtec..
ur comparing a SOHC vtec vs a DOHC nonvtec
where as a vti-r (b16a dohc vtec) makes 117kw..

so yeah, dohc wins :P

bennjamin
28-11-2003, 06:45 PM
benjamin..
but the si is a non vtec..
ur comparing a SOHC vtec vs a DOHC nonvtec
where as a vti-r (b16a dohc vtec) makes 117kw..

so yeah, dohc wins :P

Thast is true, the SI d16a8 is a NON-vtec - but even so that SHOULD be a disadvantage compared to the vtec vti - DOHC still wins :)

Rowie
28-11-2003, 07:22 PM
miles per gallon / SOHC wins ......... hehehehe :D

2ds
28-11-2003, 07:58 PM
I was under the impression that with a DOHC motor you control the intake and exhaust valves seperatly, one cam for each.

-2ds

civiceg9
02-12-2003, 09:52 AM
the cam shaft off a Honda SOHC is extremly thin, you can turbo it to only a limit, unless u want to snap the cam shaft.
DOHC have more tuning options as you cam simply made better adjustments to the intake and exhast, plus the cam shaft are alot stronger
:twisted:

EG4
02-12-2003, 12:42 PM
the basic plus of blowing a sohc is its easy to replace

as most sohc's are thrown out at dirt rate prices

where as DOHC are rated at a premium

SleeperCivicEX
02-12-2003, 04:09 PM
the cam shaft off a Honda SOHC is extremly thin, you can turbo it to only a limit, unless u want to snap the cam shaft.

I've never heard of a SOHC cam breaking. I've seen SOHC motors running 14-16psi on stock internals with no damage.

Setanta
02-12-2003, 05:04 PM
SOHC can be just as reliable and put out more power than a DOHC depending on mods.

It's like saying a SOHC is better than a pushrod motor.

I doubt you can ever claim that one is better than the other as the engine is a sum of its parts, not just the head.

Howwever, I have a fair few US friends who run SOHC 1600s that will give a B16A a run for its money, even in modified form.

If you want to compare stock motors, a 1600cc DOHC ZC puts out exactly the same as a 1600cc SOHC VTEC motor.

Civic Type R
02-12-2003, 05:19 PM
Howwever, I have a fair few US friends who run SOHC 1600s that will give a B16A a run for its money, even in modified form.
Thats true that !
me too 8)

ive seen a civic run 28PSI with SOHC VTEC and a 45PSI CRX i think ..