PDA

View Full Version : Help with valve adjustment CD5

yiannixanthos
16-05-2010, 09:47 PM
Dear fellow OzHonda forum members,
Is there anybody in melbourne or close to melbourne (willing travel if its not too far) that can help me perform a CD5 valve adjustment because at the moment it sounds pretty nasty?

Cheers

yiannixanthos
21-05-2010, 12:10 AM
bump! anyone?

oh_yeahbah
03-06-2010, 05:27 PM
lol, did this on my cd5 couple months back, its not fun at all

yiannixanthos
04-06-2010, 02:07 PM
that's probably why no bloody mechanics wanna do it for me,, they always just give me some excuse oh it's this, it's that but they never fix it, reckon you could give me a hand? I'm willing to do it just don't have the tools and don't wanna do anything wrong since youve done it

oh_yeahbah
06-06-2010, 11:39 PM
sorry mate im really busy atm and wouldnt wanna stuff up ur car at all
btw i was told by a mechanic that it would remove the chattery noise in the valvetrain... made no difference at all, was a very dissappointing excercise

oh_yeahbah
06-06-2010, 11:40 PM
you might have to go to honda if you really need it done

yiannixanthos
07-06-2010, 11:10 AM
you might have to go to honda if you really need it done

okay thanks mate!

Feverpitched
08-06-2010, 07:55 PM
If you're talking valve tappet adjustment, any mechanic can do it in about an hour.

It's the simple screw and nut arrangement too, not the shim/bucket type.

felixd
08-06-2010, 08:10 PM
if its the v6 thats the problems why no mechanic dunt want to waste thier time lol haha

yiannixanthos
10-06-2010, 02:01 PM
no it's a 95 honda accord 4 cylinder
everytime i ask a mechanic to do it they just dismiss it "oh its just the injectors" what the hell is that meant to mean? lol

kural7
12-06-2010, 12:13 PM
ye i was also told the same thing by honda i paid them 400 bux to do it and the sound was still there. now there trying to say its the water pump and charge me another 400 the low lives.. i took it to a mechanic he goes its most probably your alternator not the water pump.

sorry mate im really busy atm and wouldnt wanna stuff up ur car at all
btw i was told by a mechanic that it would remove the chattery noise in the valvetrain... made no difference at all, was a very dissappointing excercise

yiannixanthos
13-06-2010, 08:39 PM
so how do you tell the difference between valve adjustment and alternator or water pump noises? *confused*

kural7
13-06-2010, 10:31 PM
lol ye its a tough one to be honest.. your best bet is if your car is due for the major service just get Honda to do it especially if you got log books. if not just get the major service less the oil and oil filter change saves you 200 buks ( includes petrol filter change and valve adjustement aka taped adj) this service is suppose to include full safety check though when they did my car the where really lame missed 2 cracks in windscreen 2 bald tyres etc etc not really a good check.. and tell them about the sound say i only want the service done if that sound is caused by the valves needing to be adjusted. do not let them con u into getting that done and then saying it was a different problem. how do i get a post quality point? so just bear in mind if you got log books try to get them stamped by Honda itll make life easier when selling the car. if you don't have log book do the above.. but Honda got me on that one. told me it was the valves that GENERALLY cause the problem.turned out it wasn't charged me for nothin. . hope that was help full..

oh_yeahbah
14-06-2010, 04:42 PM
could be the alternator i think, quick way to listen in is to hold a ratchet or sumthing up to it, put your ear against the other end, and listen.
you can usually tell where the noise is coming from like this

kural7
14-06-2010, 05:36 PM
its a tough one. i think your best bet is one of the following. if your car is due for a major service and you got log books let honda deal with it but tell them before you go for the service there is a funny sound you want that checked up. try to make them guarantee its the valves needing to be adjusted. at least that way they can't turn around and say you also gota get the water pump changed that's wat was causing it. thats what they did to me. i couldn't prove anything so they got away with it. if you don't have log books just take it to honda and get a check up n that sound only. it'll cost like 100 bucks but it will save you the trouble of 450 for valves and then 400 for water pump... hope that was helpfull.

yiannixanthos
16-06-2010, 04:57 PM
but the ticking or so called noise is clearly audible from the upper engine area (towards the top of the cover), where is the alternator and water pump located?

marcoleeau
16-06-2010, 05:53 PM
Hey, you can try Ludemobile, they will do that on spot and it's only one hour job and cost $98.80

kural7
17-06-2010, 12:41 AM
what costs 98.00? and if your gona get it done keep in mind the engine has to be COLD. preferably 7am when its cold and enough sunlight to work. the alternator is at the top.. it looks like a turbine thing that is in front of the engine towards the left just behind the radiator with a few pipes going through it. if you still can't find it ill take a picture 2moro and post it up. let me know.

yiannixanthos
17-06-2010, 11:20 AM
oh yeah i know what the alternator looks like now but the noise isnt coming from there

http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/6383/accordr.jpg (http://img39.imageshack.us/i/accordr.jpg/)

kural7
17-06-2010, 11:29 AM
ye thats the alternator. oh that could also be your pistons hitting the top of their cage. once again its a tough choice but your best bet is probably to do valve adjustment aka taped adj since your so sure that its coming from the enigne. as noobish as this may sound may sure your oil level is good as well as your coolant and all the other crap.. don't want it to be something simple. and have you checked your spark plugs?

yiannixanthos
17-06-2010, 11:38 AM
well i got the oil done like a month ago (10W40 Castrol) from a mechanic he said he's used that before on these honda and his gf's car (prelude)
spark plugs were done like 6 months ago, no idea what type are in there (done by midas when i got the $200 service done) bad idea going to them probably put the wrong plugs in
but oil level should be good

EDIT: before i bought the car i had RACV inspect it

i noticed this "Rattle noise audible to upper engine area, possible valve mechanism, investigate further"

??

i took some videos so you guys can see what i'm talking about and further pinpoint it

this first video shows cold start up and the audible noise as i point to where its coming from

1st Video Click Here (http://tinypic.com/r/2h68u12/6)

second video (towards the end) shows after warmed up not as audible but still there

2nd Video Click Here (http://tinypic.com/r/9rsw0h/6)

kural7
18-06-2010, 12:18 AM
ye that definitely sounds like the piston is hitting the cage or the valves need to be adjusting. theres a good tutorial on how its done on youtube.. thats if you want to risk it. if not honda did my 05 euro for 400 with petrol filter change and supposedly a full safety check ( they somehow missed 2 major chips in windscreen.) . i get a totally different type of grinding sound. its similar but not as annoying in a way.. i shall take a video of it..

yiannixanthos
18-06-2010, 11:36 AM
ok sweet i'm getting some help off some guy on this forum, he's gonna help me do the adjustment
i'll let you guys know if that fixes it =)

Feverpitched
22-06-2010, 11:38 AM
ye that definitely sounds like the piston is hitting the cage or the valves need to be adjusting. theres a good tutorial on how its done on youtube.. thats if you want to risk it. if not honda did my 05 euro for 400 with petrol filter change and supposedly a full safety check ( they somehow missed 2 major chips in windscreen.) . i get a totally different type of grinding sound. its similar but not as annoying in a way.. i shall take a video of it..

Cage? :confused:

Anyway, if a piston hits *anything* you'd know about it, and you wouldn't be driving anywhere.

To the OP: If the sound is from the valve cover then it's very likely to be your tappets. Buy a Haynes manual, get yourself some metric spanners, a socket set and a flatblade screwdriver and spend a Saturday morning getting to know your car.

yiannixanthos
25-06-2010, 03:51 PM
problem SOLVED!
thanks to felix for helping me out!
ticking noise gone :D !!!!!

The185
05-07-2010, 02:10 PM
so what was the problem? :D

yiannixanthos
05-07-2010, 05:37 PM
was definetely the valves needing adjustment, they were pretty loose!
its alot better now but u can ever so slightly still hear that noise, its the injectors though.......

felixd
05-07-2010, 06:06 PM
awsome right ! :)

yiannixanthos
05-07-2010, 06:10 PM
haha thanks felixd!
remember how you told me to change power steering fluid? where do i buy the fluid from? the genuine honda stuff

felixd
05-07-2010, 06:22 PM
Honda stuff from honda dealer :)

The185
07-07-2010, 01:29 AM
mine's ticking pretty bad too when cold, but not when it's warmed up...

will it cause reliability or engine problems down the track? Or any problem performance or economic wise?

how much does it cost to fix, is it worth doing? thanks in advance

yiannixanthos
07-07-2010, 01:47 PM
defs worth doing for the noise!
and car responds abit better :D