PDA

View Full Version : So my car won't start...

jim57a
16-05-2010, 11:52 PM
Hi, I've got an EK4 and I've no idea what's wrong with it.

I just put in a new radiator after putting off the job for 2 weeks.
So when I go to start her up and bleed the coolant, the battery was dead. Swap over a fresh battery and now she's cranking but she won't start.

I haven't touched anything apart from the radiator, fan switch and coolant hoses.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jimsta

dougie_504
18-05-2010, 04:15 AM
Spark plugs? Intake components clean? No idea :(

quangsuke
18-05-2010, 09:17 AM
alternator?

cymax
18-05-2010, 10:12 AM
Check your dizzy

kera_1
18-05-2010, 12:29 PM
Most cases of car not starting can be from, starter motor dying, alternator not charging the batter ( lost efficiency), spark plugs fouled( is that how you spell it?), battery terminals not clamped properly (needs to be tight as), bad batch of fuel (check fuel filter might be blocked), and the list goes on..but be sure to check the ones easiest for yourself as in DIY before going to any mechanic...but have you tired to push start your car? easiest is push then put it in 2nd and drop the clutch ;) if that starts your car then it narrows down to starter motor, and battery... hope that helps ;)

fitme
18-05-2010, 02:41 PM
is the cranking fast when you change the battery?..check all the sparkplug leads..clean your sparks...

~Sp33~
18-05-2010, 06:44 PM
Most cases of car not starting can be from, starter motor dying, alternator not charging the batter ( lost efficiency), spark plugs fouled( is that how you spell it?), battery terminals not clamped properly (needs to be tight as), bad batch of fuel (check fuel filter might be blocked), and the list goes on..but be sure to check the ones easiest for yourself as in DIY before going to any mechanic...but have you tired to push start your car? easiest is push then put it in 2nd and drop the clutch ;) if that starts your car then it narrows down to starter motor, and battery... hope that helps ;)

If it's cranking over the starter hasn't died, and the battery terminals are obviously on correctly.

Make sure you haven't taken anything else off in the process of replacing the radiator. If you're confident everything is as it should be, pull your spark plugs to check you have spark, prime the engine and see if there's fuel entering the cylinders. I doubt your timing or compression is bad seeing as it was running before you replaced the radiator (correct?).

jim57a
18-05-2010, 08:39 PM
If it's cranking over the starter hasn't died, and the battery terminals are obviously on correctly.

Make sure you haven't taken anything else off in the process of replacing the radiator. If you're confident everything is as it should be, pull your spark plugs to check you have spark, prime the engine and see if there's fuel entering the cylinders. I doubt your timing or compression is bad seeing as it was running before you replaced the radiator (correct?).

you would be correct

thanks to everyone who posted, i'll try out a couple diff. theories and see if i can get her running again. please keep the ideas coming

will update once i have more info

grifty
18-05-2010, 10:02 PM
take out a spark plug lead and connect an old spark plug to it to see if your getting spark.

~Sp33~
18-05-2010, 10:20 PM
take out a spark plug lead and connect an old spark plug to it to see if your getting spark.

Or just ground the one you have and crank the motor.

DC2-PWR
18-05-2010, 10:45 PM
Do you have an immboliser?