PDA

View Full Version : Eg Power resets when turning the car off

503asy
18-05-2010, 04:10 PM
Hi,

Everytime i turn my car onto accesories, i have to put in the vtec engagement point back into my vtec controller and retune my headdeck with the radio stations (turn on the headdeck each time too). Then when i start the car, the radio turns off and I have to do it again and so does the vtec controller

Is this a grounding issue or is there a known cause for this? or should i just take it to an auto electrician?
I've checked the fuses, most dont have power going to them when the car is off and key is out of ignition, but come on when i put the car on the accesories setting.

Also, my eg civic has a motorswap with a h22a and it was done by the previous owner who, by the looks of it, wasnt too good at wiring lol

Thanks

zachge
18-05-2010, 04:15 PM
There is a wire that you run to your headunit that is CONST on which means it isn't switched by your accessories terminal in your ignition. This is to keep memory in said devices like headunits, ect. I would be double checking wiring of headunit and v-tec controller and double checking all fuses and relays.

When did you first notice the problem? When you installed or had someone install the vtec controller?

Should be an easy fix.

503asy
18-05-2010, 04:42 PM
nah its been the case ever since i bought my car. The vtec controller and headunit were already in there and the whole car wiring is so dodgy so i would think that has something to do with it.
also if this has anything to do with it, my car takes like 3 times to start each time, i googled it and supposibly can be related to bad wiring.

zachge
18-05-2010, 04:49 PM
nah its been the case ever since i bought my car. The vtec controller and headunit were already in there and the whole car wiring is so dodgy so i would think that has something to do with it.
also if this has anything to do with it, my car takes like 3 times to start each time, i googled it and supposibly can be related to bad wiring.

Takes 3 shots EVERY time? or just approx 3 shots? Daresay could be a fuel related problem, it just not crank at all or does it crank and not fire? main relay failure is a common problem with EG's.

Definatly get behind your headunit with a multimeter, check out how the vtec controller is wired (never seen/used one personally)

Should be a simple fix. There are 3 power wires at the back of your headunit. Red = Const, Yellow = Acc (accesories) and Black which is your earth. Test them all respectively and you should find the problem. Look further into your v-tec controller with similar steps.

In saying that with some of the things i've seen done for backyard stereo/general electrical work it could be much worse. Shouldn't do tho.

quangsuke
18-05-2010, 04:52 PM
There is a wire that you run to your headunit that is CONST on which means it isn't switched by your accessories terminal in your ignition. This is to keep memory in said devices like headunits, ect. I would be double checking wiring of headunit and v-tec controller and double checking all fuses and relays.

When did you first notice the problem? When you installed or had someone install the vtec controller?

Should be an easy fix.

spot on.
your wires aren't connected correctly and it seems that your constant is plugged into the ignition along with your positive from your vtec controlller and your head unit.

you can do it yourself if u have a basic idea of wiring.
easiest way it to get a test light, and turn off your car and look for a cable that has power running: thats your constant.
turn the key to the ignition without starting and look for another cable that has power: thats your ignition.

find the cables for your constant and ignition from the head unit and your hand controller and connect accordingly.

hope that helps.

503asy
18-05-2010, 05:32 PM
thanks zachge
also thanks quangsuke, ill have to have a crack at it when i get a chance.. i was actually just checking ur thread for ur eg build haha gotta love the yellow!

3 shots was an average, sometimes it will start after 2 times, and sometimes it takes 3 or 4. I doubt its fuel related as the fuel pump turns on, etgo
anyone else got any ideas??
it cranks, and sounds like its about to, but just doesnt, if that makes sense

quangsuke
18-05-2010, 06:16 PM
thanks heaps quangsuke, ill have to have a crack at it when i get a chance.. i was actually just checking ur thread for ur eg build haha gotta love the yellow!

thanks for that =D

when u fix the problem, post up what it was and how you fixed it. =D