PDA

View Full Version : So I need a head unit

Avalon Shotkicker
19-05-2010, 06:22 PM
Hi again guys and girls,

In my flu-like state a couple of weeks ago, while denting and scratching my Integra, I managed to ruin the Aux jack of my cheapo Clarion CD player with my knee, by attempting to get into my car. I called the previous owner to see if he still had the tape deck, but he didn't. While I could go out and buy an FM transmitter, I would much rather get a head unit.

My requirements:

CD Player,
AM Radio,
iPod charge/play/control,
REAR-mounted USB/3.5mm port, (I don't want to ruin the USB/AUX port in the new unit)
(maybe) A handheld remote control (I have problems aiming for the right buttons on the current HU),
(maybe) Bluetooth (or the option to add bluetooth).

Can anyone recommend me a head unit with these specs? Should I pay a bit extra and buy a DVD player unit instead (WOW Electronics has a Sony on sale for $589)?

Thank you

2MPRS
19-05-2010, 08:25 PM
mate ive always gone for kenwood decks u can get a decent one for like 280ish with everything u wanted try jb hifi they usually have good specials once in a while. dont bother with a dvd player unit ur not allowed to have them open while driving so everytimg you see a cop you have to put the screen down. id rather save the money or get a better single din deck.

arverson
19-05-2010, 08:47 PM
alpine 9886. its discontinued but look for one cus its still a quality HU that perfectly fits your needs (cd/mp3/wma/am/fm/ipod&usb connectivity/remote/bluetooth).

http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/cda-9886/

can be had for well under 500 these days

happy enough with a 2band bass+treble EQ? if you need more tuning features like t/a, parametric EQ & x-overs then look at the 9887

basically look into any of alpines "98xx" series headunits

Avalon Shotkicker
19-05-2010, 11:26 PM
mate ive always gone for kenwood decks u can get a decent one for like 280ish with everything u wanted try jb hifi they usually have good specials once in a while. dont bother with a dvd player unit ur not allowed to have them open while driving so everytimg you see a cop you have to put the screen down. id rather save the money or get a better single din deck.
I don't particularly want a DVD player either. 80-90% of the time, it's just me in the car, and I find it useless. It also looks ricey, and the 15" rims and factory spoiler do the job well enough (for the rice factor).

I only found 1 Kenwood unit with rear USB though, the "KDC-X8016BT". It does cost $549 at RRP though. Maybe I am nuts for giving up a good stereo, just for the location of the USB port, but I killed the 3.5mm jack in my current head unit while trying to get into my car (tall blokes look really funny trying to get into Integras).

alpine 9886. its discontinued but look for one cus its still a quality HU that perfectly fits your needs (cd/mp3/wma/am/fm/ipod&usb connectivity/remote/bluetooth).

http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/cda-9886/

can be had for well under 500 these days

happy enough with a 2band bass+treble EQ? if you need more tuning features like t/a, parametric EQ & x-overs then look at the 9887

basically look into any of alpines "98xx" series headunits
I know that JB's still sells the 9884 and 9887, but the 9887 was only $50 less than the newer 117.

If I was to install it myself (with a friend who's a parts fitter), where would be a good place to buy audio gear from (even if it's a good eBay store)? I'm based in Canberra, but would be more than happy to get things mailed over.

Thanks for your help

pure_na
19-05-2010, 11:40 PM
depending on your car, the flat screen flush dvd players compliment the interior very nicely. that's why i like them, in an integra it fills the double din spot perfectly. i'm biased and believe the pop-out dvd player is useless. but don't get a dvd player if you don't actually want one. in other words, if you think "oh, it's only x amount extra, i might as well buy it", don't buy it. as you'll probably end up with one that makes doing the only things you want to do (cds, ipod) harder than a normal head unit.

anyway, go alpine or pioneer imo. pioneer works very well, alpine looks nicer :). go to the website to check out the head units. with these two companies, it's all much of a muchness, you'll end up with quality regardless of which one you pick.

2MPRS
20-05-2010, 12:30 AM
if u want good audio gear just find the model from jb hi fi or other audio stores and check ebay usually cheaper there if u dont mind 2nd hands u can get some really really cheap audio gear from gumtree.com.au

pure_na
20-05-2010, 12:39 AM
yeh, jb hi fi is also really cheap. a month after i bought a head unit from ebay, it was only 80 bucks more expensive from jb.

furansu
22-05-2010, 10:56 PM
Hey i would recommend clarion head units , it pretty much has all the stuff you need . Go to their website and check it out.

slimx
28-05-2010, 01:13 AM
kenwood = WORST warranty alive, there known to be good but me and 1 mate had an issue, never got resolved im taking them to court as we speak.

pioneer = if it ****s up, cheap to fix

jvc = reliable but pricey

sony = price is a tad high.. but most reliable decks at the moment.

clarion = never had.. so i cant judge.

some new ones on the market today, worth a look buddy.