PDA

View Full Version : Buy a stock DC2r or a Fully Modded DC2R...?

byond
19-05-2010, 06:45 PM
Hi Guys.

I'm in the market for a dc2r...thing is, there's a stock dc2r for 13k approx 150K kms or a full toda rebuilt one for 15k with approx 180k kms with the rebuild at 100k kms?...

If i were to do all the mods myself, then I would probably be spending over 5-10k in mods alone when I can possibly look at one thats already been done...?

What would I be looking out for in a heavy modded dc2r?...there must be heaps of indicators to look out for that scream thrashed and near its death bed? I get this sinking feeling that it may just be close to its funeral...but then dont wanna miss out on a great deal either..

Any opinions will be well regarded.

Cheers

MWAKU
19-05-2010, 06:59 PM
see if it blows smoke, check the engine mounts, check for headgasket problems (sorta milky residue underneath oilcap and oil dipstick) or take of the radiator cap, and rev that car for a bit, see if u can see any bubbles, bubbles indicate headgakset wear. listen to the engine, engine should be smooth, no tapping or rattling. check underbody..

best to call vehicle inspectors if u dont know what ur looking 4

Phased
19-05-2010, 08:22 PM
Go with your gut feeling, be logical and use some common sense...

If someone has spent money on modifying and rebuilding the engine then it is very likely that they would want to go fast, and Honda's only have good power in high RPM, there is no entertaining low end torque (rather the opposite) so the chances are it would of been driven hard. Also ask yourself the original question of WHY was it originally re-built? Out of choice or necessity?

This taken into account, A car driven hard (of course depending on severity) does not necessarily mean the engine is at or even close to the end of it's life... A fully serviced Honda even if it's been driven hard will last quite a while...

Also the main question is... if you're looking at a car in which stock form you don't think you would be satisfied with (unless you enjoy the process of modifying or DIY) then I suggest you look at a different car. :cool:

Easy solution: get a Compression test and check over done by a reputable mechanic. Personally I DO NOT recommend the so called "RACV" or State Roads inspections... To give you a REAL LIFE example, I got a car inspected by State Roads and this is the list of what they completely missed...

- Part Throttle Surging (VERY NOTICEABLE)
- Fuel Top Tank Seal leak... (Raw fuel smell as soon as key was turned to ON)
- Leaking Drive-shaft Seal
- Electronic Faults (Speedometer, Interior Cooling fan)

I picked up all this myself immediately driving it home and to VicRoads... All he did is pick up that the rear bumper had been resprayed (which I noticed). I've consider myself to know quite a bit about cars (mechanically and body/paint wise) however it was my first turbo car so i thought why not... $250 wasted!

NSPYRE
20-05-2010, 10:46 AM
wat do u mean TODA rebuilt? do you mean rebuilt using TODA parts or rebuild was done by TODA? or both?

mocchi
20-05-2010, 10:51 AM
Go with your gut feeling, be logical and use some common sense...

If someone has spent money on modifying and rebuilding the engine then it is very likely that they would want to go fast, and Honda's only have good power in high RPM, there is no entertaining low end torque (rather the opposite) so the chances are it would of been driven hard. Also ask yourself the original question of WHY was it originally re-built? Out of choice or necessity?

This taken into account, A car driven hard (of course depending on severity) does not necessarily mean the engine is at or even close to the end of it's life... A fully serviced Honda even if it's been driven hard will last quite a while...

Also the main question is... if you're looking at a car in which stock form you don't think you would be satisfied with (unless you enjoy the process of modifying or DIY) then I suggest you look at a different car. :cool:

Easy solution: get a Compression test and check over done by a reputable mechanic. Personally I DO NOT recommend the so called "RACV" or State Roads inspections... To give you a REAL LIFE example, I got a car inspected by State Roads and this is the list of what they completely missed...

- Part Throttle Surging (VERY NOTICEABLE)
- Fuel Top Tank Seal leak... (Raw fuel smell as soon as key was turned to ON)
- Leaking Drive-shaft Seal
- Electronic Faults (Speedometer, Interior Cooling fan)

I picked up all this myself immediately driving it home and to VicRoads... All he did is pick up that the rear bumper had been resprayed (which I noticed). I've consider myself to know quite a bit about cars (mechanically and body/paint wise) however it was my first turbo car so i thought why not... $250 wasted!

good points!

LOL at sig hahah

byond
20-05-2010, 03:31 PM
http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/private/details.aspx?R=8700953&keywords=integra%20type%20r&tsrc=allcarhome&__Ntk=CarAll&__Nne=15&__Dx=mode%20matchany&PriceTo=412&__No=15&PriceFrom=463&__D=integra%20type%20r&silo=1011&seot=1&__sid=12867F963540&__N=1216%201246%201247%201252%201282%20463%20412&__Ns=pCar_PriceSort_Decimal|1||pCar_RankSort_Int32 |1||pCar_Make_String|0||pCar_Model_String|0&__Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial&Cr=4&__Ntt=integra%20type%20r&trecs=95&__Qpb=true

It caught my eyes...but is it too good to be true?...wonder if anyone knows about the car?...

mnc
20-05-2010, 03:56 PM
That looks the goods. Considering all the expensive mods.

Just do a compression test and a leakdown test at a reputable mechanic.

androo
20-05-2010, 04:44 PM
Common sense is good - however sometimes you just gotta be smart. My opinion is to get it checked, ask the guy if you can take it for a long test drive and keep your ear out for noises. All clear? Buy it if you like it. You can't say all cheap cars are bad, or all modded cars are bad (unless they have two 14" subs at the back and a fully sik bro exhaust), because there are always reasons. My cousin sold his R34 GT-T for $9,000 before - Perfect car with nice mods. Reason? Moving over seas.

Even cars with stupid mods are sometimes good - the guy just ran into some money and wants to upgrade? He drives sensibly but just likes to 'pull tha chikks' etc. etc. Regardless - Nothing beats checking the car out yourself and make your own conclusions

byond
20-05-2010, 05:32 PM
Thanks for all your replys guys...will be making a decision very soon.

Super-DA9
23-05-2010, 06:36 PM
Common sense is good - however sometimes you just gotta be smart. My opinion is to get it checked, ask the guy if you can take it for a long test drive and keep your ear out for noises. All clear? Buy it if you like it. You can't say all cheap cars are bad, or all modded cars are bad (unless they have two 14" subs at the back and a fully sik bro exhaust), because there are always reasons. My cousin sold his R34 GT-T for $9,000 before - Perfect car with nice mods. Reason? Moving over seas.

Even cars with stupid mods are sometimes good - the guy just ran into some money and wants to upgrade? He drives sensibly but just likes to 'pull tha chikks' etc. etc. Regardless - Nothing beats checking the car out yourself and make your own conclusions

I agree, and if the mods are shit, just un-mod it and sell the old mods to buy new ones! I just picked up a '95 VTi-R for $9000 with only 128,XXXkms on it, and it was pretty wogged up (king springs, cannon and 18" rims) so the first thing I did was, well, un-wog it! returned most of it to stock and chucked on my rims from my old DA and it's starting to look good. It did have a few issues such as needing a new thermostat and split CV boots, however the driveshafts were fine. But most of it i've already fixed myself. And the upsides are it has pretty new paint, really low kms and absolutely no smoke at all, no vtec smoke, no smoke on cold morning starts. So far I believe it's running really well. So the point is, if it's been badly modded or has issues, if you KNOW you can fix/re-mod it, then go for it! ;)

RR-04-RR
23-05-2010, 07:14 PM
Theres no such thing as TODA retainers as far as i'm aware of :p (correct me if i'm wrong)

So you might want to ask him what retainers he is using

Sorry if it is someone on here but looking at all the mods on the car
-all quality parts
-logbooks
-even has the optional side skirts and rear pods

and only going for 15,500??

Its really cheap but why?? seems sus

VTECMACHINE
24-05-2010, 01:26 AM
Toda don't make retainers.
Also, is he implying that he's changed the front sway bar, and boot (Rear) sway bar. AFAIK, there are no aftermarket FRONT sway bars for DC2R.
Paint looks good. But rear badge is missing.
No interior pics?
Also... find out what size pistons he's using. If 81.25 you have enough pllay for a second overhaul with 81.50 pistons. AFAIK, 81.5 are the biggest you can go with stock sleeves.

TODA AU
24-05-2010, 04:32 PM
Theres no such thing as TODA retainers as far as i'm aware of :p (correct me if i'm wrong)

So you might want to ask him what retainers he is using

Sorry if it is someone on here but looking at all the mods on the car
-all quality parts
-logbooks
-even has the optional side skirts and rear pods

and only going for 15,500??

Its really cheap but why?? seems sus

Correct, no such thing as TODA retainers...
That car has "PortFlow" Ti retaners from memory.

TODA AU
24-05-2010, 04:41 PM
wat do u mean TODA rebuilt? do you mean rebuilt using TODA parts or rebuild was done by TODA? or both?
That'd be both.... around late 2006

Samm928
07-06-2010, 11:19 AM
haha adrian.

i ended up buying the car >=] orc clutch is getting put in atm ;) i'll be back to you for a tune later on.