PDA

View Full Version : FD1 - Stock Air Filter vs. Mugen Air Filter (An Attempted Comparison)

KOHO
22-05-2010, 03:25 PM
A geeky analysis for a saturday afternoon...enjoy = )

Introduction
The MUGEN Hi-Performance Air Filter Civic FD1 is designed to allow higher induction of air while still efficiently cleaning the air with the OEM induction box. This system reduces pressure loss by 50% when compared to the OEM air filter.

Many of the fellow FDs have tried this drop-in panel filter. Mixed reviews from those who have tried - some claimed better response, smoother ride but no improvement of sound. others said its just an overpriced filter and you are paying for the "Mugen" brand and K&N is a much better alternative.

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z165/Grooving_house/FiltrodeaireMugen.jpg

Aim
1) to test out the Mugen air filter

2) compare the sounds of the stock vs. mugen (a failed attempt as I have no idea how to analyze sound waves)

3) to give a personal opinion on the subjectivity of whether the mugen filter improves overal performance

4) i am still a "newcomer" (*hint hint* lol)

Method
- test drive with stock vs mugen (subjective testing)

- video and record the sound of stock vs. mugen (both from start with gradual acceleration to 4000rpm and back to idle)

Results
Stock filter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh30tqACAi0

Mugen Filter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QOMbEvVPOs

Stock soundwave analysis
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs506.ash1/29917_545086282751_219001630_32695845_198159_n.jpg

Mugen soundwave analysis
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs546.snc3/29917_545086272771_219001630_32695844_6298014_n.jp g

Discussion

Unfortunately I have no idea how to combine 2 sound waves and analyse the frequency graphs. So I have attached the individual frequency analysis as well as the videos for you to decide.

In terms of any noticeable changes, I feel the response is better especially at higher revs (above 3000rpm) and the ride is slightly better. No longer do I have to be heavy-footed at lower revs. No difference in sound whatsoever (you probably want a proper intake system, anyways).

Conclusion
I think the "placebo effect" plays a big role. Having spent close to $180 on the filter, psychologically, I would want to think its doing something. Some may ask why didnt I get the K&N. Well, I have qouted $158 by Repco Camperdown. So for a difference of $22, I might as well get a Mugen instead.

I think its a good replacement filter to the stock ones. But if you after higher gains and louder noise, other "toys" will be needed to satisfy that desire. Overall, I think I will drive with it since I am going to sell it at the end of the year when I am done with my studies. Will I do something else? I am contesting the idea of injen cai or simota carbon charger (CB-111). If I do fix them up, I will do a better analysis than this piece.

Thanks for your patience.

your friendly neighbourhood geek

P/S: if anyone can read japanese, it would be great to translate whats written on the graph provided by mugen

ylo00w
23-05-2010, 07:33 AM
nice comparison.:0)

JaCe
23-05-2010, 09:56 AM
Conclusion
I think the "placebo effect" plays a big role. Having spent close to $180 on the filter, psychologically, I would want to think its doing something. Some may ask why didnt I get the K&N. Well, I have qouted $158 by Repco Camperdown. So for a difference of $22, I might as well get a Mugen instead.

LOL I know that feeling. I think the K&N made the engine rev just a little bit more easy but it could be in the mind. Definitely minimal (if any) changes in sound. From what I've read, free flowing filters do more for higher powered turbocharged cars with a retune.

That being said, still can't believe you spent that much on a panel filter- the price quote you got on the K&N was a rip off. If you're getting screwed over with prices like that, PM me and I'll help you find better places to do your shopping (presuming you're comfortable buying online).

curtis265
23-05-2010, 10:30 PM
Hi KOHO, you're going to be a member soon at this rate.

Here's what i think -
Performance
Mugen is obviously more restrictive, and probably provides less filtration than the stock filter (not critically low though... you'd hope). Due to the more 'free flowing' nature of the mugen, it's more likely to produce better throttle responsiveness over the stock filter, but it will be barely noticeable.. You really need to blind test someone for this.

Soundtrack
A filter produces no sound muffling properties, and therefore changing it will not have any effect on the sound ur car makes! That's why u probably dont notice any difference in those videos you took.

The air filter only represents a tiny portion of the overall restrictiveness of the air filter, which probably explains the minimal difference.

Other options
If you want genuine throttle responsiveness and sound, pull out your resonator hose :) It's like day and night! The stock intake runs under the battery and to the right of it.
Pulling the hose out:
a) shortens the intake length (try sucking through a long straw and a short... there are a lot less frictional pipe losses)
b) essentially 'removes' the resonator, which adds a LOT to the overall restriction of the intake pipe, and makes a big difference to the sound
c) changes the optimum RPM for the ram air effect.

KOHO
23-05-2010, 10:38 PM
Hey Curtis265

Thanks for response. Fingers crossed I get enough reps to be a member.

Yup, I know from the beginning I wasnt going to get much difference when I got the filter. the soundtrack was just for the fun of it since i searched the forums before i embarked on my little project and sort of picked out some of the comments others have made and try to see if I can "prove/disprove" these comments. One of the comments was the user felt a difference in sound. haha

anywaes, grey fd! hhahaha been looking for a similar non-black/white fd on the forums! mines a sparkling grey though hahahaha....makes it look like a family sedan (which it is)!

JaCe
24-05-2010, 12:07 PM
Haha well if you're interested you can go down the SRI route like I did ;) BK did my K&N Typhoon Intake before.

KOHO
24-05-2010, 02:48 PM
CAI versus SRI...the pros and cons are eventually up to personal preferences....hahaha..will give it some thought...looks like visit to "BK land" is a weekly pilgrimage..haha..

Reclus
24-05-2010, 04:29 PM
i'm using a HKS one
only costs around $50
and i already think it's much better than the stock one

maybe it's psychological haha
anyway i think it's worthy to have it changed

KOHO
24-05-2010, 04:43 PM
is that a pod filter or drop-in? i think anything besides stock has slight advantage haha

KOHO
25-05-2010, 03:45 PM
ok, im getting bored with my panel filter. So Im taking a poll for my next review.

1) K&N Typhoon SRI
2) Simota carbon charger SRI
3) Simota carbon charger CB-111
4) Injen CAI
5) something else that you wanna find out...

Will decide which by the end of week and review should be up shortly after. = )

curtis265
25-05-2010, 05:31 PM
lol do some sri VS unplug resonator, hahahah

that should be interesting

KOHO
25-05-2010, 06:23 PM
hahaha unplugged resonator is out of the question mate...but nice try haha

aaronng
25-05-2010, 06:31 PM
What material is the Mugen panel air filter media made from?

KOHO
25-05-2010, 07:52 PM
Hi aaronng,

If I am not wrong, its a combination of steel mesh with filter oil and wrapped with sponge... did not inspect it carefully before I installed it....will have a look at the filter and take some photos...

ynotfd
27-05-2010, 05:00 PM
I was choosing between the K&N and Mugen earlier on and got similar quotes to you. Ended up buying a K&N one from the US thru Ebay for alot cheaper (around $90). This is the link if anyone else is interested: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/K-N-AIR-FILTER-33-2342-2006-2009-HONDA-CIVIC-1-8L-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem563a6a70c9QQitemZ37034 7241673QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries

KOHO
27-05-2010, 05:05 PM
K&N is tried and tested and has good reviews. I was thinking of trying something new so decided on the Mugen. I was a little rushed for time as well and wasn't prepared to wait for shipping.

Nonetheless, I am pretty satisfied with my purchase despite the hefty price tag

d@vid
27-05-2010, 05:52 PM
Yea...I bought mine K&N off ebay as well.

KOHO
27-05-2010, 05:59 PM
i suppose there is a risk purchasing from ebay stores unless you have the right contacts. And with so many imitations out there, sometimes its really hard to decide whether you want to go for the cheapest deal (might be too cheap), something in the mid-range (which probably costs the same as in the shops) and of course you have the ridiculously over-priced ones. And I suppose it depends on the item you are purchasing and costs. Had some really bad experiences buying off ebay when i was driving my DC5.

but yea, ebay is very interesting and has alot of random things that have "proven" results...hahaha but yea K&N is reputable and good. no doubts about it. = )

Nairda
31-05-2010, 06:38 PM
Has anyone done any FD1 or FD2 exhaust comparisons? It seems difficult to find companies that make stuff for FD1 and 2. I suppose the Vti and VtiL or even the sport was never targeted to be "performancy" but for the 3 years its been around there sure hasnt been much more than FD1 to FD2R conversions. Im finding it difficult to decide if i buy an exhaust what would give me similar soundtrack to EP3R? as in low idle noise but pronounced vtec

KOHO
31-05-2010, 06:51 PM
hahaa..good suggestion...maybe you can try it = )

curtis265
31-05-2010, 08:55 PM
You're not going to find much because there's almost no point tuning our engines... Try look at the US civic, they've got a fiar bit more.

You won't find a pronounced vtec either with an 8thgen