PDA

View Full Version : Need new shockers for my Euro

Dazza_19
23-05-2010, 07:04 PM
Hey guys,

I just want to ask, what are a good set of shockers i can get on my Accord Euro????

Thanks guys

Type R Positive
23-05-2010, 07:36 PM
bilsteins or koni yellows.

Dazza_19
23-05-2010, 07:57 PM
How are KYB & Pedders (Comfort Gas) shockers for the Accord Euro???

Type R Positive
23-05-2010, 10:39 PM
How are KYB & Pedders (Comfort Gas) shockers for the Accord Euro???
not sure mate. A few people have the bilsteins here and are more than happy with them. pm tony1234.

tony1234
24-05-2010, 06:58 AM
bilsteins or koni yellows.

Agreed.As above

Dazza_19
24-05-2010, 05:26 PM
Besides bilsteins and koni yellows guys.......is dare anything else that is n2b as i mentioned earlier like Pedders or KYB shockers????

Cheers

huey888
27-05-2010, 08:00 PM
Dazza,

I replaced my springs with with lowered King springs. I was told the only aftermarket shocks available for the CL9's were basically Koni's or Bilstein's, which are quite expensive (between $1200 & $1500 for a set). Most mechanics or suspension 'experts' told me that the standard shocks would be ok if they hadn't had too much use, but I found this to be quite wrong. So I have been looking for a cheaper alternative to either Koni's or Bilstein's.

On a side note: I've had Koni's before (on a Commodore) and they were great, but they weren't twice as good as the equivalent Monroe's I bought at half the cost for another Commodore I had previously.

Anyhow, I managed to get a set of Monroe GT Gas for the rear (part number E1347) for $260.00, and have been waiting to get a set of Monroe GT Gas for the front (part no E1349) for $330.00. Monroe's have told me that the first shipment of the fronts are due to arrive in Australia on 28 October 2009; seven months later and I'm still waiting!!!!!

I was sick of waiting for Monroe's, so I researched the internet and managed to find a set of KYB GR-2 Gas shocks (part no 341330) that is listed to suit an Acura TSX, which is the equivalent to the CL9 in the USA. From my research, I believe the same company makes both the KYB's and Monroe's, but just paints them different colours. Anyway, I mail ordered the KYB's from a shop in the USA and they were about $260.00 (including freight) which was about $90.00 less than buying them here.

I haven't fitted them yet, but hopefully I will be able to do so next week (I'm waiting on a friend who's a motor mechanic). Obviously my big concern is that they won't fit or that they'll be a bit too soft to suit American drivers; but I'm hopeful.

KYB sell the same shock here, but it's not listed for a CL9. It's listed for an 95 Accord from memory. In any case, I'm very happy with the rear Monroe's I've fitted already, so hopefully I'll have more information on the KYB front's by next weekend. Fingers crossed; I'll let you know how it turns out.

Dazza_19
27-05-2010, 10:12 PM
Dazza,

I replaced my springs with with lowered King springs. I was told the only aftermarket shocks available for the CL9's were basically Koni's or Bilstein's, which are quite expensive (between $1200 & $1500 for a set). Most mechanics or suspension 'experts' told me that the standard shocks would be ok if they hadn't had too much use, but I found this to be quite wrong. So I have been looking for a cheaper alternative to either Koni's or Bilstein's.

On a side note: I've had Koni's before (on a Commodore) and they were great, but they weren't twice as good as the equivalent Monroe's I bought at half the cost for another Commodore I had previously.

Anyhow, I managed to get a set of Monroe GT Gas for the rear (part number E1347) for $260.00, and have been waiting to get a set of Monroe GT Gas for the front (part no E1349) for $330.00. Monroe's have told me that the first shipment of the fronts are due to arrive in Australia on 28 October 2009; seven months later and I'm still waiting!!!!!

I was sick of waiting for Monroe's, so I researched the internet and managed to find a set of KYB GR-2 Gas shocks (part no 341330) that is listed to suit an Acura TSX, which is the equivalent to the CL9 in the USA. From my research, I believe the same company makes both the KYB's and Monroe's, but just paints them different colours. Anyway, I mail ordered the KYB's from a shop in the USA and they were about $260.00 (including freight) which was about $90.00 less than buying them here.

I haven't fitted them yet, but hopefully I will be able to do so next week (I'm waiting on a friend who's a motor mechanic). Obviously my big concern is that they won't fit or that they'll be a bit too soft to suit American drivers; but I'm hopeful.

KYB sell the same shock here, but it's not listed for a CL9. It's listed for an 95 Accord from memory. In any case, I'm very happy with the rear Monroe's I've fitted already, so hopefully I'll have more information on the KYB front's by next weekend. Fingers crossed; I'll let you know how it turns out.

cheers mate, hope to hear from u nxt weekend

Type R Positive
28-05-2010, 10:37 PM
$1200 - $1500?

Bs!

tony1234
29-05-2010, 09:32 AM
$1200 - $1500?

Bs!

Agreed.Bilsteins will cost you approx.$1050 plus fitting of course

huey888
29-05-2010, 12:24 PM
$1200 - $1500?

Bs!

Agreed.Bilsteins will cost you approx.$1050 plus fitting of course

Please forgive the 10% discrepancy in the price you believe I was quoted for Bilsteins in Brisbane; obviously I'm lying. Although I notice there was no query on the price I was quoted on Koni's. Even at $1050, they are expensive.

There are several brands of good shocks that are at least 95% as good as Koni's, but are half the cost. It's unfortunate most don't make them to suit the CL9.

You guys must have a lot more money than me.

huey888
31-05-2010, 05:42 PM
Dazza,

Unfortunately it's a washout with the KYB shocks. They're physically the right size to fit into the space available, but the size of the lower mount is too small to fit correctly in the suspension bracket. Oh well, it's back to phoning Monroes every month to see when/if they will ever get stock in of suitable fronts.

Type R Positive
31-05-2010, 06:45 PM
Huey, just order from the states mate. You should be able to get a set landed for about $700 Aussie.

huey888
01-06-2010, 10:53 AM
Yes, that put me in my place.

It's nice to know there are helpful people like you on this site who freely give good advice to others.

tony1234
01-06-2010, 12:23 PM
Please forgive the 10% discrepancy in the price you believe I was quoted for Bilsteins in Brisbane; obviously I'm lying. Although I notice there was no query on the price I was quoted on Koni's. Even at $1050, they are expensive.

There are several brands of good shocks that are at least 95% as good as Koni's, but are half the cost. It's unfortunate most don't make them to suit the CL9.

Wasn't trying to be smart but IMO not worth the effort to try and find a cheaper shock.Stick with proven shocks(and springs) that are compatible with the Euro,also there's not much to choose from for our cars either.

huey888
01-06-2010, 12:36 PM
Thanks Tony, sorry to be on the defensive. I was just trying to help Dazza get a cheaper alternative as I'm really happy with the Monroe rears.

Type R Positive
01-06-2010, 04:58 PM
Yes, that put me in my place.

It's nice to know there are helpful people like you on this site who freely give good advice to others.
Search button is free too! ;)

Type R Positive
01-06-2010, 05:01 PM
Btw, standard shocks + lowered springs = shocks will fail.

tony1234
01-06-2010, 07:35 PM
Thanks Tony, sorry to be on the defensive. I was just trying to help Dazza get a cheaper alternative as I'm really happy with the Monroe rears.

That's OK.If you're happy with the Monroes wait till you drive a Euro with Eibach and either Konis or Bilsteins.

huey888
14-06-2010, 02:05 PM
Dazza_19,

Further to my previous advice, I was actually wrong. The KYB's front shocks that suit an Acura TSX do indeed fit the Euro and I have just installed them this morning. When I originally compared them with the OEM Honda shocks, I was measuring using vernier calipers while they were still in the car. I hadn't realised that there was a sleeve around the old shocks which made me think that the diameter was about 8mm larger than the KYB's. I have to make up a HID leveller bracket mount for the front left KYB shock (needed for the luxury model), but I don't anticipate this will be a major problem. Hopefully I'll find some free time over the next few days to do this.

So far, the KYB's seem a lot firmer than the standard Honda shocks, but I haven't really done enough mileage on them to guage how good they are in combination with the King springs, but it's looking positive so far.

Hope this helps....

deco0028
10-12-2013, 01:06 PM
Dazza_19,

Further to my previous advice, I was actually wrong. The KYB's front shocks that suit an Acura TSX do indeed fit the Euro and I have just installed them this morning. When I originally compared them with the OEM Honda shocks, I was measuring using vernier calipers while they were still in the car. I hadn't realised that there was a sleeve around the old shocks which made me think that the diameter was about 8mm larger than the KYB's. I have to make up a HID leveller bracket mount for the front left KYB shock (needed for the luxury model), but I don't anticipate this will be a major problem. Hopefully I'll find some free time over the next few days to do this.

So far, the KYB's seem a lot firmer than the standard Honda shocks, but I haven't really done enough mileage on them to guage how good they are in combination with the King springs, but it's looking positive so far.

Hope this helps....

Hi there
New member, would like to know how the KYB shocks are doing on the Euro Luxury. I have a 2004, and am considering doing the front and rear. Any advise re- the HID leveller? Thanks

Fredoops
10-12-2013, 03:25 PM
if you are paying a grand you might as well get coilovers.

the H.Drive coils i got recently is actually pretty darn good.

and it comes with a bracket for the HID leveler

huey888
11-12-2013, 09:46 AM
Deco0028,

The KYB's are working fine and I'm very happy with the result.

I removed the leveller bracket off the oem shocks. It was a sleeve fitting and I just tapped the sleeve section downwards to remove it from the old shock. I then cut the round sleeved section in half, applied some silastic to the surface area where it would contact the new KYB shock and put it in the same location. Then tightened it on with a good hose clamp. I haven't had any problems since I did it.

Hope that helps.

deco0028
11-12-2013, 10:30 AM
Deco0028,

The KYB's are working fine and I'm very happy with the result.

I removed the leveller bracket off the oem shocks. It was a sleeve fitting and I just tapped the sleeve section downwards to remove it from the old shock. I then cut the round sleeved section in half, applied some silastic to the surface area where it would contact the new KYB shock and put it in the same location. Then tightened it on with a good hose clamp. I haven't had any problems since I did it.

Hope that helps.

Thanks very much. Seems like KYB 341330 for the fronts and KYB 341369 for the rears is the way to go. Interestingly, the Acura TSx(04-08) has different KYBs for the rears(341495).
Also, with the leveller off, does the light beam from the HID headlights bounce around more on bumpy roads?
Cheers

axispower
12-12-2013, 08:22 AM

I agree with Huey. For that price you might as well have just gotten some half decent coils. I know a few on here will flame me for that - but if you're like me and Huey - both having el cheapo King springs and stock shocks - the added adjustment features and the quality of the coilovers for the same price will provide more than enough comfort and "performance" for an average daily driver, than King Springs and Koni Yellows or Bilsteins.

Like I said - for the perfectionists on here who are correct in saying that a decent spring and shock combo is far superior to coils - I DON'T DENY IT.

axispower
12-12-2013, 08:23 AM
Btw, standard shocks + lowered springs = shocks will fail.

Yep - learnt that the hard way. Ride quality was f***ing horrible.

Jjw
20-12-2014, 12:44 PM
Need rear shock 341330 for my Honda Accord. Anyone know what is the cost. Thanks

Rudy
20-12-2014, 02:03 PM
Koni sport (yellow) shocks are very good.

tony1234
20-12-2014, 09:24 PM
Need rear shock 341330 for my Honda Accord. Anyone know what is the cost. Thanks
Look Here http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/like/171077691417?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=107&chn=ps

cl9_luxury
09-01-2015, 09:50 AM
Hey all,
I'm quite new to the CL9 Game, I recently got a set of Lovell Springs thanks to an awesome member on here (ergot) and just wanted to complement them with either a set of bilstien or koni yellow shocks. Do they often come up second hand? I'm not sure I can afford a brand new set atm but would love to lower the car (resisting using the oem shocks lol)