PDA

View Full Version : Sound system

dec3it
24-05-2010, 09:33 AM
Hi Guys,

I'm installing a d/din kenwood ddx6039 in my 07 euro.

Any suggestions for the minimim output I should have on an AMP to power 6 speaker?
Currently i have a 240w Clarion apx4240 amp to be put in.. I am just curious to know if that is enough to power all 6 speakers + a Clarion beginner's sub.

crazy2287
24-05-2010, 10:11 AM
your setting up a 6 speaker system? for it to be Ideal you will want a 6 ch amp, and a mono for the subwoofer. Minimum ouput per channel would be 50wrms. depending on you speakers. Find the drivers you want and get your amps to suit. Why run 6 surround drivers? if going for a standard setup just stick to 4 drivers. Unless you running splits, in which case the only reason you will run under a seperate channel is if your going to be setting sound delay for each individual driver. but you wont be doing that unless your hardcore audiophile with lots of $$

dec3it
24-05-2010, 10:28 AM
They only reason that i was thinking of 6 speakers is cause the car comes with 6 speakers.
I am clueless when it comes to car stuff. :)

By the sounds of it 4 speakers would do? i dont think i will be spending too much $$ on a sound system. I have thought of getting a mono amp as well but was told not to waste my money.

SO i guess they current amp of 240.. is enought for 4 speakers and a sub?

niiCk
24-05-2010, 10:36 AM
i'd get a mono for the sub, its not a waste of money lol..
240 for 4 speakers..its do-able..but wont get the optimum sound..

crazy2287
24-05-2010, 10:38 AM
where are the speakers located?
240wrms into a 4ch amp should comfortably run the 4 oem speakers. But it will not run the sub. what are the specifics of the subwoofer? size and recommended handling power or peak watts. (specify which you give)
I am unfamiliar with the oem 6 speaker setup, unless it is a marketing ploy and the extra 2 speakers are tweeters.

dec3it
24-05-2010, 10:45 AM
From what I can see, there are 2 tweeters on the top dash. 2 speakers on the front doors, 2 speakers on the back doors and 2 speakers on the back panel behind the back seat.
as for the sub.. i bought it second hand so let me do a quick seach and will get back to ya.

niiCk, thanks for the advice, will have to have another look for a mono amp.

the dash kit will take another 2 weeks to be delivered so i got plenty of time to look around.

aaronng
24-05-2010, 10:59 AM
From what I can see, there are 2 tweeters on the top dash. 2 speakers on the front doors, 2 speakers on the back doors and 2 speakers on the back panel behind the back seat.
as for the sub.. i bought it second hand so let me do a quick seach and will get back to ya.

niiCk, thanks for the advice, will have to have another look for a mono amp.

the dash kit will take another 2 weeks to be delivered so i got plenty of time to look around.
You will find that the speaker pods in the two rear doors are empty. There are no speakers in them. :)
If you do decide to go 8-channel + sub, then you can get speakers of the right size and wire them up to the rear doors.

dec3it
24-05-2010, 11:12 AM
Really? i jsut saw the 2 pods and figured there are speakers in there.
oh well, looks like 4 speakers then. Thanks Aaronng.

Crazy: I cant seem to find the specs of the sub, will let you know once i get a chance to take it out of the box.

crazy2287
24-05-2010, 11:14 AM
Usually you wouldn't want more then 4 speakers.
Unless the system is properly tuned and balanced adding more speakers can atcually reduce sound output and quality. and most head units dont offer more then 5 channels of time delay (LF LR LR RR and subwoofer) so it would require additional decoders.
Keep it simple dude. Its most likely the dash tweeters are split off the front door speakers.
That bit at the back is called your "parcel shelf" BTW.
Dose the head unit have an internal high power amp? just run the oem speakers form this and your sub (providing its not too big) off the amp you already have.