PDA

View Full Version : Broken spark plug

astrob0y_
24-05-2010, 12:15 PM
Hi,

My spark plug has broken inside the head of the engine....

The hex is not in the head, so theres just the thread in there.

Is there anyway to remove this? or some professional that can take this out?

Note: i have searched, easy outs seems like an option but dont trust myself to do this,

engine is a B18C,

Any help will be appreciated

cazz'shonda
24-05-2010, 02:21 PM
What actually happened? Was the plug overtightened and snapped? Was it a manufacturing fault with the plug itself? As long as you didn't drive with any foreign bits in the cylinder(plug fragments) it should be able to be repaired, as long as any pieces are able to be removed. It'd be awful to have to remove the head just to get a bit of such an inexpensive item out of the cylinder.

There should be a good mechanic close to you who can handle the job, just ask around,
I've never attempted it myself even though I have been around cars for all my life. Like you say, just something you wouldn't want to attempt.
Had a workshop have to do the exact thing to one of our cars years ago after they stripped a plug. They just re-tap the plug hole with a heli-coil and you are away. You just need to be extra careful whenever removing that plug. Make sure you also tell any workshop who work on the car that it has been done too.

wynode
24-05-2010, 02:54 PM
So it's just the thread in there? How did this happen?

Usually plugs break when they've been overtightened or if you use the wrong plug for the application.

pablos8
24-05-2010, 04:06 PM
This happened to me over the past weekend, spark plug metal bit went into the rocker cover and all the was coming out of the plug was the string..

they pulled the bit out of the rocker cover with a pair of pliers and changed the plug+leads

markismaximus
24-05-2010, 04:19 PM
This happened to me over the past weekend, spark plug metal bit went into the rocker cover and all the was coming out of the plug was the string..

they pulled the bit out of the rocker cover with a pair of pliers and changed the plug+leads

you have string in your spark plugs?

astrob0y_
24-05-2010, 05:38 PM
Thanks for the replies,

I've overtightened the spark plugs,

so basically half of the spark plug is still inside the head,

I've called the thread doctor to see what he can do.

I'll let you know what happens...

pablos8
24-05-2010, 08:21 PM
you have string in your spark plugs?

it was like a metallic thread sort of thing wire probs

wynode
24-05-2010, 09:29 PM
Thanks for the replies,

I've overtightened the spark plugs,

so basically half of the spark plug is still inside the head,

I've called the thread doctor to see what he can do.

I'll let you know what happens...

Try get some pics and post up if you can. Would be interesting to see the damage!