PDA

View Full Version : Euro dash lighting up with errors like a xmas tree

E-Gene
24-05-2010, 05:26 PM
Hey guys,

Knowing my luck, even an exhaust rattle fix can cause a bigger problem.

This is what happened. I brought my car to a local muffler shop to finally get my exhaust rattle fixed, they hoisted up my car and said that it was probably the spacer that I got for my O2 sensor that is causing the rattle on my heatshield. So he tightened it and yes the rattle went away. I handed the nice man $20 for the use of his hoist and when I started my car up, my VSA, airbag, engine lights all started to light up! I was advice by the guy to disconnect my battery to "reset" the ecu (which I did when I got home) but it still didn't work.

Even when I connected my diagnostic scantool to the car, it now reads "link error".

Could it be the O2 sensor that is causing it all? He said that maybe the wires on the sensor are torn from the rattle, will that cause all the lights to come on?

I've booked my car in with Honda to get it check but I know that it's going to cost me a whole lot of money (which I don't have atm).

Ideas?

anikhoa
24-05-2010, 07:49 PM
im in the same position any one know what to do ?

xxb4xx
24-05-2010, 10:59 PM
Don't stress dude, its obviously the sensor as it was the only thing touched,

Unplug the sensor and reconnect it, it may just be a bad connection, and go the ecu reset again.. all will be well.

E-Gene
25-05-2010, 04:08 PM
Well, my wife was driving the car today and lo and behold, the car seized on her. It's now parked on the side of the road and we can't even start it up at all. All the lights on the car just blink and the engine wouldn't start.

To do a ECU reset, I've just been disconnecting the negative terminal and connecting it back, is that right? I'm seriously stressing and I know it's going to cost me to repair it but I don't have the $$$ to do so.

tron07
26-05-2010, 04:34 PM
Try disconnect and wait for a while for the memory to reset before reconnecting.

E-Gene
26-05-2010, 04:54 PM
Try disconnect and wait for a while for the memory to reset before reconnecting.

Did that and it didn't work. Anyway the car has been towed to Essendon Honda Service department and I'm waiting for them to diagnose what happened. It's going to cost me I'm sure.

flipfire
26-05-2010, 05:00 PM
How long did you wait?

Should have unplugged the battery and fuse then press the brake pedal a few times to clear any residual charge.

E-Gene
26-05-2010, 05:21 PM
Also did the undo battery and fuse thingo. No avail.

aaronng
26-05-2010, 06:54 PM
Sounds like the ECU is cactus. Might just be a coincidence with your exhaust rattle fix. Even if you totally messed up the O2 sensor, the only error you would get is a CEL. If you have the whole instrument panel flashing, then I think it is a BUS error.

tony1234
27-05-2010, 05:43 PM
Sounds like the ECU is cactus. Might just be a coincidence with your exhaust rattle fix. Even if you totally messed up the O2 sensor, the only error you would get is a CEL. If you have the whole instrument panel flashing, then I think it is a BUS error.

Did they do any welding on your exhaust?Maybe they didn't clip on like a surge arrestor (or something)that protects your ECU while welding is being done.If not that'll take out your ECU

E-Gene
27-05-2010, 06:03 PM
No they didn't do any welding. The car has been sitting at the Honda service centre for 1 day now and all they can tell me is that it might be an engine management system problem. They are trying to get the part from another service centre to test it. Sounds like my ECU is cactus...

Seriously, seeing that my car is out of warranty, how much is this going to cost me?

E-Gene
07-06-2010, 10:23 PM
Well, I finally got my car back after it was towed to Essendon Honda and sat in their workshop for a week.

It turns out that the O2 sensor was shorting the fuses to the ECU. 3 fuses they mentioned. SO yes, it was indeed the muffler shop's doing when they tightened the O2 sensor. Thes ervice guys were actually prepared to order a new ECU for me ($2500) till they found the problem.

So, $970 later, I got my car back with a brand new sensor.

Advice. Should I speak to the muffler shop guys and expect them to do the right thing and cover some if not all of the repair? What can I do about all this?

sodaz
07-06-2010, 11:16 PM
Definitely speak to the muffler shop and try to get some compensation. The damage is directly caused by them.