PDA

View Full Version : accelarator problem

egcarbz
19-12-2004, 11:08 PM
guys just need some help. my car is a 96 GLI. D16Y i think

The other day my accelarator gave up on me. It just went really stiff and hard to step.
it something like... pressing on the pedal from 1st is normal til like 2000revs then it gets really stiff then you have to press really hard for the gas to continue then it sounds as if the car is stuck on full throttle and just screams. happens in all gears.
also. sometimes when iam idling the revs auto jump really high and stay there as if stuck then i press the pedal and it turns back normal.
i also popped the bonnet and tried turning the accelarator and it is still very stiff.

help much appreciated

cheers

Weq
20-12-2004, 12:13 AM
lube up the throttle i suppose. make sure the throttle cable isnt kinked and adjusted properly. check inside the throttle body, and make sure nothing is in the wya

ECU-MAN
20-12-2004, 08:24 AM
has your engine check light come on at all, could be the too much carbon build up on the throttle butterfly pin, clean and lube, I hope your throttle position sensor is ok.

bennjamin
20-12-2004, 02:37 PM
has your engine check light come on at all, could be the too much carbon build up on the throttle butterfly pin, clean and lube, I hope your throttle position sensor is ok.
For everyones help...how exactly do you remove old sticky carbon build up from the butterfly and throttlebody/inlet manifold in general ? JUST spray carb cleaner in ? "seafoam" ?

Weq
20-12-2004, 05:05 PM
carby cleaner + tooth brush is the stuff. dont be afriad, give it a dousing. u will probably shudder a bit on startup while it burns off, its fine though.

Limbo
20-12-2004, 08:10 PM
You should just buy yourself a can or two of the throttle body cleaner, don't need a brush, you see if you just spray the can on some metal parts you'll see what i mean by not needing the brush.;) Just be careful not to spray on any painted parts or it might just eat some of the paint.

ECU-MAN
20-12-2004, 10:17 PM
yeah both the above.

TB cleaner and plastic dont mix. then spray the Throttle spring/leaver area with some CRC.

Weq
20-12-2004, 11:24 PM
yeah both the above.

TB cleaner and plastic dont mix.
thats bs.
spray the carby cleaner/tb cleaner on the carbon buildup around the butterfly and u'll see what i mean. U need the brush.

ECU-MAN
21-12-2004, 08:48 PM
Weq
who cares about the tooth brush, yes its a good idea, what I ment by that was dont spray it on your cars plastic parts, as it will stain.