PDA

View Full Version : COP truoble...

Mugen_Euro
25-05-2010, 12:40 AM
i kno this has probs already been covered but in victoria i understand ur not alowed any performance mods on ur car while on p plates.... so why the hell is it that my mates never get busted for thier catback exhaust systems?
And if i got caught with my CAI wuld i get a defect note? or do they just not care like with exhausts?

cheapdouchebag
25-05-2010, 12:46 AM
few of my friends got cai in their system. dont seem to be havin any problem.

got this tool of a friend who has a exposed DRIFT pod filter on this r34 gt. dont see the point of it since its so much closer to the engine heat now but cops dont seem to mind. his on his red P's and he gets pulled over weekly cuz it looks like a turbo haha. they always check his engine bay. hell when we went on road trip he got pulled over.

not too sure about catbacks, maybe they drive real sensitble and shift at low rpm's so the cops dont notice

m3ntAL_l2
25-05-2010, 09:44 AM
depends on ur luck i guess...

been driving around in my lowed car w/ exhaust for 2yrs without a single pull over, and no issue when going through booze check

3mnths ago went out to get milk, got pulled over and major defected straight away for height and sub. cop didnt mention anything about my exhaust 3" muffler

if they want to get you they will get you, nothing u can argue about, imo pure avenue raising/achieving the monthly defect target

hisoka
25-05-2010, 10:01 AM
your driving a accord euro arent you ?

ill be suprised if you even get pulled over. and if they even bother to open your bonnet.

in qld it states p plates can not have any modification requiring a mod plate.

on the modifcation hand book it says small mods like pod filter do not require a mod plate and can be carried out by the owner of the car.

i think it would be the same for your area or very similar

jks24
25-05-2010, 10:03 AM
depends on ur luck i guess...

been driving around in my lowed car w/ exhaust for 2yrs without a single pull over, and no issue when going through booze check

3mnths ago went out to get milk, got pulled over and major defected straight away for height and sub. cop didnt mention anything about my exhaust 3" muffler

if they want to get you they will get you, nothing u can argue about, imo pure avenue raising/achieving the monthly defect target

why did they defect you for sub?

m3ntAL_l2
25-05-2010, 10:06 AM
it did not hold up when the officer pulled/ripped it, hence it was not secured = not safe in a crash

which was fair enough, he was concerned about my safety

jks24
25-05-2010, 10:07 AM
it did not hold up when the officer pulled/ripped it, hence it was not secured = not safe in a crash

which was fair enough, he was concerned about my safety

wow back when I had my Ek i had my sub just sitting in my boot never thought twice about it being a defect

Good thing im over big sound systems now

Mugen_Euro
25-05-2010, 10:57 AM
HAHAHA so basicaly i can hav a SRI but not a CAI? thats bull shit....

MWAKU
25-05-2010, 11:10 AM
u cant have a SRI, thats instant defect. CAI u can get away with it easier, as the pod isn't exposed.

mnc
25-05-2010, 11:15 AM
sri are the bomb though

Mugen_Euro
25-05-2010, 11:17 AM
u cant have a SRI, thats instant defect. CAI u can get away with it easier, as the pod isn't exposed.

Ye but i got a nice lookin crome pipe going dwn into my front bumper.... and if they look close enough my pod is expiosed coz the grill on my mugen kits fallen out on the side so u can aacctualy c it....

Premature Vtec
25-05-2010, 11:22 AM
your driving a accord euro arent you ?

ill be suprised if you even get pulled over. and if they even bother to open your bonnet.

agree unless u drive a hoon

Trice
25-05-2010, 04:01 PM
i thought it was legal to have a exposed pod as long as it wasnt oil based?

cihanvtec
25-05-2010, 06:01 PM
just becareful when ur driving around cops with a catback, try to keep the car as quiet as possible!
two of my mates were reported by a police officer to the EPA! so the cop didnt actually pull them over, just handed their number plates over to the EPA for a decibell test.. in victoria i think its 90 decibels for a car and my mates was 112. you dont want to go through that trouble hahah but ive had no trouble with mine at all :D

Mugen_Euro
25-05-2010, 11:47 PM
so i can have a catback on my red ps as long as its not louder than 90 decebels? but a catbacks performance upgrade this is wat confuises me....

cihanvtec
26-05-2010, 12:07 AM
dont worry about any of that! as long as ur car isnt turbocharged you dont have to worry about the police hassling you. and as long as your car isnt cop bait.. (stockies at the back, dumped on its ass like the commodores etc loll) which it doesnt look to be.

i just moved onto my green p's last week and ive had a CAI and catback the whole time.. the guy at the exhaust place told me that any sports exhaust is over 90 decibels, dono how true that is though.. but yeah, if you want to keep your car quieter DONT get a cannon on the end.. ive got a cannon though and i havent had any trouble. but maybe im just getting lucky hehe

id say dont worry too much about the police as long as ur car is not turbocharged..

pure_na
26-05-2010, 12:20 AM
i don't understand getting called to go to the epa...i mean, wouldn't you just put your car back to stock exhaust for the test...then change it back....seems a bit pointless imo

cihanvtec
26-05-2010, 12:31 AM
this is how it works..
u go get ur car tested and if over 90 decibels, they give you a period of time to change it to a stock or less noisier exhaust, then you have to go and test it again.

and as for putting it back on, you can but i think if your caught again you get a pretty harsh penalty..

euromandeluxe
26-05-2010, 12:42 AM
i thought it was legal to have a exposed pod as long as it wasnt oil based?

not legal, oiled or not. cops will justify it by saying it's a 'fire hazard' or some other similar crap. an exposed filter is always defect'able. some cops will choose to overlook it, others won't.

so i can have a catback on my red ps as long as its not louder than 90 decebels? but a catbacks performance upgrade this is wat confuises me....

'performance upgrade' is subjective. in some states, it's only a performance upgrade if it needs a mod plate. which state are you in?

again, you're in an accord euro. i was never, ever hassled when i had mine. except when i redlined on a freeway on-ramp on easter weekend once (with an SRI which made it LOUD). officer pulled me over because he thought i'd been drinking! good thing i was so polite that he didn't bother checking under the hood.

i don't understand getting called to go to the epa...i mean, wouldn't you just put your car back to stock exhaust for the test...then change it back....seems a bit pointless imo

exactly how it works. but swapping exhausts again and again takes time, effort and money.

and if i remember right, you get charged for having to rock up for this test, yes?

its all incentive to keep the car quiet.

M@lew
26-05-2010, 01:34 AM
If you get EPA'd you pay around $40-ish ( I think a bit less) for the EPA test to clear it. May be other costs involved including getting the stock exhaust put on etc (and in my case had to deactivate my launch control to have it tested at the right rpm) but once it's cleared you can put it back on. If you get EPA'd again it is the same steps but no "extra" costs, but there will be a time when you cannot be bothered with it anymore and just give up. Probably how modifying cars will end, people will just get fed up with the defects being handed out left right and centre and just go back to stock.

Mugen_Euro
26-05-2010, 04:23 PM
I liv in victoria.... is it leagal to hav the exhasust?

aznstyler
27-05-2010, 11:46 PM
cops will pick on anything , the moment the list adds up to a major they give up

mocchi
29-05-2010, 11:49 AM
cops will pick on anything , the moment the list adds up to a major they give up

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?