PDA

View Full Version : clutch & flywheel

Lukey
25-05-2010, 10:35 PM
gday guys, my clutch seems to be on its way out.

so i thought id consider getting ready for when it does give up.

just wondering what sort of combinations there are around and what he pros & cons are.

cheers.

EK1.6LCIV
26-05-2010, 07:20 AM
streetablity/stop go traffic

do you want to go to a drag strip and not have to worry?

exedy is pretty good for locally sold gear, bit on the hexy side as their distributors can mark up whatever they like as a rrp, lol

once you do find what you're after, buy it over seas, there's just no room for locally sold items of any type, unless you have literally destroyed it and the car can't move, but I'm going to have a stab in the dark it's just slipping atm and the drive isn't too bad and can be put off for at least a month or so :)

still have the b18b?

sirgtr87
26-05-2010, 01:20 PM
i recently bought a xtreme heavy duty clutch and xtreme lightweight flywheel for my b16, cost me just over $700, revs slightly quicker due to the lightweight flywheel but thats about it, i didnt go too light though but i do regret it so if you do get a lightweight flywheel make sure you grab the lightest one you can get and dont let anyone talk you out of it by telling you its jerky and whatever cos its all crap, i know from experience :)

Zilli
26-05-2010, 04:12 PM
i got an Exedy organic clutch and a Toda flywheel... im happy as larry.

Lukey
26-05-2010, 06:32 PM
streetablity/stop go traffic

do you want to go to a drag strip and not have to worry?

exedy is pretty good for locally sold gear, bit on the hexy side as their distributors can mark up whatever they like as a rrp, lol

once you do find what you're after, buy it over seas, there's just no room for locally sold items of any type, unless you have literally destroyed it and the car can't move, but I'm going to have a stab in the dark it's just slipping atm and the drive isn't too bad and can be put off for at least a month or so :)

still have the b18b?

its not slipping yet, but im getting alot of clutch burning.

still got the b18b.

i just thought id prepare for it.

and i dont really intend on tracking/dragging my car. just want something that can take extra abuse lol.

i recently bought a xtreme heavy duty clutch and xtreme lightweight flywheel for my b16, cost me just over $700, revs slightly quicker due to the lightweight flywheel but thats about it, i didnt go too light though but i do regret it so if you do get a lightweight flywheel make sure you grab the lightest one you can get and dont let anyone talk you out of it by telling you its jerky and whatever cos its all crap, i know from experience :)

how is it compared to stock? ive heard that there is some cons about lightened flywheels.

i got an Exedy organic clutch and a Toda flywheel... im happy as larry.

is it heavier than stock? im just weighing up my options atm

saikou27
26-05-2010, 06:40 PM
just leave all the flywheel crap and get an exedy oem replacemet clutch, or if u really want to abuse it get the sports tuff heavy duty clutch kit.

aaronng
26-05-2010, 07:29 PM
I've got an Exedy lightweight flywheel and an Exedy OEM clutch. Love the flywheel, but I wish I had gone for the Exedy HD or the Exedy sports organic.

Zilli
26-05-2010, 10:58 PM
the clutch is heavier than stock yes... but it only took a couple of drives for it to become normal...

i recommend a flywheel as one of the BEST bang for buck mods on a NA motor... much more respose, revs quicker... dollar for dollar you will never have a mod that will give you as much difference in performance

dudeling7
26-05-2010, 11:18 PM
flywheel is definitely one of the best bang for buck mods. Get the lightest one out there and don't believe people who whine and whinge and say it makes daily driving a pain because it doesn't and you get accustomed to it within a few drives. I can only see pros from a lightened flywheel!

Zilli
27-05-2010, 07:55 AM
you do have to adjust your driving style, and it tends to be more fussy and jerky... but it makes a huge difference

EK1.6LCIV
27-05-2010, 10:07 AM
I personally wouldn't worry about it for some time yet, unless it's slipping severly bad (when driving becomes a chore, lol)

local exedy is a definate miss, overseas get something with a nice bite get an organic exedy racing stage 1 with flywheel (also comes with all of the parts needed not some of them like local kits), tonnes better than that pink shit they try and flog off here and heaps cheaper

sirgtr87
27-05-2010, 03:10 PM
im not sure how heavy a standard flywheel is but i got a 5.6kg over the 3.9kg one and ive been regreting it since, it revs slightly quicker and its not harder to drive so if you do get a lightweight flywheel make sure its the lightest you can get cos if you dont trust me you'll regret it just like i am now

Lukey
27-05-2010, 11:56 PM
id just like to get em soon cos i enjoy doing twisty runs but its burns something shocking

although it might have to wait a while as i dont make much money