PDA

View Full Version : Your thoughts on varex mufflers?

Mugen_Euro
26-05-2010, 12:17 AM
thinkin im gona get some varex butterfly muflers the ones which u can press a button and shut the majority of the muffler and reduce the noise... any1 got one? whats ur oppinion on the muffler without the catback system? sound any good?

xclusive_eg8
26-05-2010, 12:44 AM
Iv heard these are illegal? Can't remember why though lol

sirgtr87
26-05-2010, 01:18 AM
1st of all it is a defect to have one on your car (wouldnt have a clue why) 2nd of all i had one on my sil80 and it worked great, i had a 200rwkw sr20det in it with a 3" straight through exhaust (loud as f**k when open) but when you close it you couldnt even tell if the car was on or off thats how quite it was

it definitely saved me a few times from getting pulled over and ill definitely get one for my crx once i put an exhaust system on it

M@lew
26-05-2010, 01:36 AM
You're not meant to have an exhaust that can change db at will. Even a silencer isn't good enough as it needs to be welded in. Also a reason why in EPA tests you can't just chuck a silencer into your exhaust and be done with it.

Mugen_Euro
26-05-2010, 04:26 PM
WTF its defectable? LOOOL guess its to keep cops happy stingy fkrz... but yer would the muffler alone sound alright? without a full exhausty system?????????? and how can a cop tell that its varex muffler unless they actualy look in themuffler?

kevibumz
01-06-2010, 01:15 AM
it is defective because you are not allowed to change the db at will as stated above. i was told by my engineer "you car has to be consistently legal" which sounds so ridiculous!!! but its true. but the exhaust system itself is great, my friend has his on his forrester xt and runs a charm, sounds great and goes from silence to boxer in no time. if you are not going to get the actual system itself then might aswell get something else, like fujitsubo or something. and the thing with the cops is, if they dont lika ya or if theyre in a foul mood, you'll get a yellow sticker either way and then when u run it through the pits, you varex will have to be changed to something else that doesnt allow you to change the db and airflow and what not.

act_gooner
01-06-2010, 01:27 AM
Its not the most ridiculous thing to be illegal in this country, but its up there.

white_ep3_civic
01-06-2010, 06:03 PM
Yellow sticker just for an exhaust? That seems a bit harsh. U need a few defects in Syd till they give u a yellow sticker. But I would still get 1 just not the cannon style. On the euro I took 1 of my mufflers off and it was damn loud. Just cut out the middle muffler or change the 2 rear mufflers. But it will be loud either way

pzaway
02-06-2010, 11:16 AM
i got a varex cannon on my dc2 its massive sounds good but its just too big and when i was getting
a roady they pulled out my wires for that

Mugen_Euro
02-06-2010, 11:23 PM
they pulled out ur wires? so they knew u had one on?

02gzm
03-06-2010, 09:05 PM
Waste of money and defectable as stated. Just get the biggest straight through oval muffler you can fit, that's the same inside diameter as the rest of the exhaust piping. That way it's quiet down low but screams up high. Especially when coupled with a decent intake.

Mugen_Euro
06-06-2010, 09:31 PM
the idea of the system was that i dnt have to rev it to make it loud my intakes louder than most exhaust anyway but to hear it i got get to vtec....

aznstyler
07-06-2010, 09:12 AM
if a cop wants ya, he'll get you for anything.
even if your windscreen has a tiny mark on it, or even if the water nozzles dont work.

androo
07-06-2010, 10:50 AM
I don't think it's a ridiculous thing - I think loud exhausts laws are ridiculous in general (seeing as there's way louder Harleys around - WAY louder than any cars). But SINCE we have these laws, then this isn't ridiculous because if you had it when would you have it on soft?

1. When you see a cop
2. Driving out of the driveway to not wake everyone up
3. When you see a cop
4. Pretty much never again (maybe when you have a headache?)

Police want to enforce a certain db (89db right?) - The varex mufflers means you can be running 110db etc. until you see them and turn it down...

I'm not saying the laws are 100% correct, but varex mufflers being illegal imo just helps enforce current laws. Maybe they could be legal under certain conditions?

i.e. When fully open, car is still under 89db (which I doubt is possible).

androo
07-06-2010, 10:51 AM
Also, yeh cops will get you for anything. I got defected before for not having an 'Unleaded Fuel Only' sticker on my petrol cap... yyeehhh.....

Mugen_Euro
09-06-2010, 12:35 AM
Also, yeh cops will get you for anything. I got defected before for not having an 'Unleaded Fuel Only' sticker on my petrol cap... yyeehhh.....

WTFFFFFFF LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL! is that even possible? u musta pissed the bloke off badd ay

aznstyler
09-06-2010, 01:13 AM
WTFFFFFFF LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL! is that even possible? u musta pissed the bloke off badd ay

its possiblee, cause it happend to him already

mattchuej8
09-06-2010, 09:31 AM
heard the butterfly gets stuck after awhile if you dont clean it out.

androo
09-06-2010, 10:20 AM

its possiblee, cause it happend to him already

Yep... Pretty pissed... That and I didn't have my tire placard lol... But I knew about the tire one... Anyways that's in the past... He also got me for my exhaust but at the time he didn't rev it or anything - just defected it from looking at it. It was stock as well. The previous owner simply welded an ugly 3 inch tip on it and painted the muffler black... It did have a farty note to it but that's because it was broken as hell on the inside (when shaken sounded like it was full of little beads. I had to go to the exhaust shop and get it tested, came back I think at 80db and submitted that. Cost me $30 for the test. They do it just to annoy you...

Keep in mind this is when I JUST bought my old Civic... Running on hub caps and everything. Complete granny car. Thought I'd never get pulled over. If they defect you it's up to you to prove it's legal, which costs you money, which annoys you, which makes them happy.

junoki
09-06-2010, 10:59 AM
my lil bro got one of these for his WRX jus muffler only wif the open and close features tock piping
he said its the greatest
he likes it on half open .... didnt have any trouble wen rolling past the popo

jus my 2c

curtis265
30-08-2010, 06:45 PM
bump, my mate has one on his forester too. Very awesome.

I was just watching a vid about it too - you can tune it to open the butterfly valve at different RPM's. Interesting idea ey? Perhaps if you ditch the remote and set it to be open and shut at different times.. it'd be ok (considering most exotic cars doo this)

Giraffe
31-08-2010, 07:30 PM
mighty car mods did this on there youtube vid with a s15, but if it was illegal shouldn't those guys get dicked for it.

curtis265
31-08-2010, 07:37 PM
lol no, If you post a video of you doing your car's top speed on youtube, you could also get farked. It's going to be too ahrd to track you down.

Essntially, yes they could get farked for it, but no-one's bothered to chase him down for it yet.