PDA

View Full Version : ABS Sensor blown from hitting pothole??

Quest
26-05-2010, 04:34 PM
Hi there,

A mate of mine is looking for some advice....thought I would post this here in the event anyone may know more

Heres the situation (and I quote)

Hit a pothole with my Accord and damaged the right Front and Rear rims + tyres damaged

Rims have been fixed and wheel bearing replaced.
After this was done the VSA light remains on even after resetting the fault codes.
Prior to changing the bearings and after hitting the pothole this was not the case – no warning lights were displayed

Diagnosis from Honda WestRand (South Africa) is that the ABS sensor is blown. They cannot supply the sensor alone – but the entire unit.

This is not available locally – COST = R28 000 inclusive.

· Did any of you have wheel bearings serviced or replaced on your Accord?
· If so, where was it done?
· Did you have the same fault code (VSA light stays on)
· How did you solve it?
· Any links that I could research regarding this issue?

tony1234
26-05-2010, 06:03 PM
Hi there,

A mate of mine is looking for some advice....thought I would post this here in the event anyone may know more

Heres the situation (and I quote)

Hit a pothole with my Accord and damaged the right Front and Rear rims + tyres damaged

Rims have been fixed and wheel bearing replaced.
After this was done the VSA light remains on even after resetting the fault codes.
Prior to changing the bearings and after hitting the pothole this was not the case – no warning lights were displayed

Diagnosis from Honda WestRand (South Africa) is that the ABS sensor is blown. They cannot supply the sensor alone – but the entire unit.

This is not available locally – COST = R28 000 inclusive.

· Did any of you have wheel bearings serviced or replaced on your Accord?
· If so, where was it done?
· Did you have the same fault code (VSA light stays on)
· How did you solve it?
· Any links that I could research regarding this issue?

They must be on drugs!!I converted that to AU dollars and it worked out at over $4300.There must be a cheaper option.

aaronng
26-05-2010, 06:51 PM
Have you checked if the ABS sensor is connected properly on both corners that were replaced? They might have forgotten to reconnect the sensors.

Quest
26-05-2010, 09:33 PM
Have you checked if the ABS sensor is connected properly on both corners that were replaced? They might have forgotten to reconnect the sensors.

Ah, that's exactly what one of the Accord guys here mentioned.

"On the Hub there is a Little ring that controls the ABS , its sort of like a perforated ring , which controls the Pulses of the ABS/ Traction control System from the wheel , As far as i can tell its a Mechanical device and I stand to be corrected here , But if that is Damaged the ABS / VSA Lights will stay on"

My mate had this to say

"Technical: The wheel bearings fitted to our cars have a magnetic strip which is the inner of the bearing the – the outer has seal.

If the magnetic strip is fitted on the outside the VSA light will remain on.

I feel this is the problem with my car and I hope this is case."

I will know later in the week what the real issue was......thanks guys, spot on the money thusfar:wave:

tknova
27-05-2010, 11:01 AM
If your friend has insurance. It will be covered under his policy. Rim, tire & any other issues caused by the pot hole.

Hopefully this helps the pocket :)

EK1.6LCIV
27-05-2010, 11:33 AM
get parts sent over from another country, that's alot of cash

tony1234
27-05-2010, 05:29 PM
If your friend has insurance. It will be covered under his policy. Rim, tire & any other issues caused by the pot hole.

Hopefully this helps the pocket :)

Good point.If all else fails take this option.