View Full Version : Replacing head unit on 1999 EK Civic *HELP*

EK1 Civic
26-05-2010, 07:31 PM
Hi i just purchased an alpine head unit with USB and i currently have a JVC installed. So far i've removed the lower dash and unplugged the connector to the cigarette lighter, do i also disconnect the cables to the air conditioning to remove the old JVC cd player. Also should i disconnect the battery before i go any further? or is it perfectly fine?

I have a 1999 ek1 civic cxi.

Thanks.

tRipitaka
26-05-2010, 07:32 PM
installdr.com

EK1 Civic
26-05-2010, 07:48 PM
installdr.com

I am using a pdf from that site, but it seems to be American and the air-con buttons are to the left and in the images there are no air-con wires blocking the way to the head unit.

CB7_OWNER
26-05-2010, 09:21 PM
D/C the battery, good practice.

Remove the trim under the steering coloumn, the glove box, and the trim around the glove box, the trim around the gearstick.

Those are the things i removed to get the the cabling behind the headunit, and allowed me enough play everywhere around the dash to tuck the new wiring in.

EK1 Civic
27-05-2010, 05:19 PM
After i took out the dash i was trying to take out the whole a/c and head unit middle dash thing, didn't go so well. Then i just tried pushing the old head unit out and it worked :D, just waiting for my dad to get me some electric tape so i can cut out the old stuff and re-wire my new head unit :D. Thx for the help guys