PDA

View Full Version : borred out civic?

cihanvtec
26-05-2010, 08:26 PM
hey guys, a mate of mine told me he can get my d16y1 bored out for a really good price.. what does it mean to bore out? what does the process include? and is it worth it? will i notice a power gain? or roughly how many kw would it add to my car?

cheers guys :)

MWAKU
26-05-2010, 09:24 PM
Boring out the cylinders enables you to put larger diameter pistons in the block. Having a larger diameter cylinder means that the displacement of the engine increases.

damienm
26-05-2010, 09:28 PM
if you machine the bore and dont put bigger pistons in then youll just be running lower compression n prob lose power

cihanvtec
26-05-2010, 09:38 PM
hmm.. how much would it cost to replace my pistons roughly?

damienm
26-05-2010, 10:23 PM
just dont do it its not worth it to open up a d series motor lol

cihanvtec
26-05-2010, 10:25 PM
yeahh i guess.. but if i can get it done cheap.. why not :D im not going to be buying a b series anytime soon so i might aswell haha

Red_EG4
26-05-2010, 10:27 PM
if you have to ask what it is and how much it is I'd say you're better off not doing it.
Just ask your friend what it is and how much ;)

cihanvtec
26-05-2010, 10:59 PM
lol i doubt he knows either.. his boss does those sorta jobs and asked him if he wanted his car bored out coz app it will give him a massive power gain.. so my mate asked me if id be interested, so i thought id ask around here if any of u guys could explain

aaronng
27-05-2010, 07:46 AM
You can't just bore out your engine, replace the pistons and then expect it to run with more power. The ECU needs to be retuned because the increased displacement will require additional fuel and also different ignition timings.

EK1.6LCIV
27-05-2010, 07:53 AM
d-series.org

or one of the many d-series turbo sites, ozhonda is not a place for any sort of info you'll be needing, heaps of people do up these motors in the USA, I think mainly as an engineers challenge lol

I'd start with the intake, headers and a good 2" exhaust system, new clutch and flywheel, grippy tyres, 15" wheels, slotted front brakes, decent suspension, rear sway bar

then possibly throw a new cam in there with relavent parts, (refer to Bezza's batmobile thread in the introductions section)

be a good improvement, then if you don't enjoy how it handles, can easily sell of the parts and convert it back to stock

cristian
27-05-2010, 04:19 PM
a mate of mine bought a civic and had the y1 bored out to 1.7 as a part of an engine recondition which cost him next to nothing since his dad did all the work...i got to drive it before and after and you don't really notice any gains...

after he did I/H/E it was like a different car altogether.

TaipAr
28-05-2010, 08:10 PM
change to a better series ;)