PDA

View Full Version : Door's not liking the bass

5poon
20-12-2004, 11:45 AM
Last weekend I finally got fedup with the crappy sound from my front splits and purchased some nice 6" JL's. I used the same plastic bracket and hacksawed the back off to fit the magnet and installed without a hassle. I have screwed this back in tight and made sure the door mould is clipped in secure.
Sound is fantastic compared to the stockies but when i hit some higher bass tones the door seems to shake that little bit which is really ruining the quality.
I dont think will matter once the subs are installed and take over the job but that is still a few months away.
Has anyone had this trouble before? I somehow need to stabilise my door.
Any idea's would be appreciated ;)

civex98
20-12-2004, 01:27 PM
have you tried sound deadening?

micka
20-12-2004, 03:13 PM
What exactly is shaking? is it the trim vibrating against the door, are trim inserts vibrating, door handle, speaker mount, rods for the locks, anything else?
Untill you know what is making the noise it's hard to fix the problem, deadening willy-nilly may solve the problem, but would be more good luck than good management.

If i were you, i'd look at the installation of the speakers first, and mount the mid bass to the door with an mdf spacer, it will offer a much more secure attachment (the oem plastic mount is never going to be as good), also look at deadening the door to reinforce a solid base to mount your speaker. This may not fix the rattles, but will at least, improve the sound you are getting.

To get rid of annoying rattles you must first isolate where they are coming from, then attend to them; its hard to offer a universal quick-fix for things like this. By installing the speakers ideally you can lessen the chance that the rattles are from an inadequate factory speaker mount.

5poon
20-12-2004, 05:42 PM
Thanks for the help. I will try to narrow the noise but I think it is the door trim against the door.

Javed
20-12-2004, 10:01 PM
Sound Deadening. I will be soon deadening my doors. Try knocking those metal panels of ur door and have a listen, its a grosse sound. Adding SD makes them heavier bringing the resonance frequency lower (i think thats it) and hence solvwes the problem. Look at serenity products :)

VTi-RT
20-12-2004, 10:13 PM
Get some of those spongy stuff and put them between your door and trim... It should do the trick :)