PDA

View Full Version : moving on, new parts.

brendan1990
27-05-2010, 09:13 PM
ok so im finally freeing up some money to begin doing some work on my s2, yay! tonight i purchased white parkers (to replace the old yellow ones) and a new carbon fiber gear knob which matches my new black trim perfectly, i dont think its real carbon though as its quite heavy lol, but it looks mad.
Anyway i was wondering what to move onto next??
there is the following i cant decide which to do first...

a) carbon fibre boot
b) A proper intake e.g. snorkel

anyway give me some help lol i cant make up my mind, im leaning more towards the boot though cause i have some hail damage on my boot and bonnet, now i was going to go to a place called OTR (on the run motor sports) based in clayton (melbourne) has anyone tried this place? people at my work have suggested it so i thought i would ask you guys as well, otherwise where are good places in melbourne to buy parts for an s2?

cheers.

euromandeluxe
28-05-2010, 12:38 AM
how much is the snorkel gonna cost ya? vs. a CF boot's cost?

depends what you want more.

if it was me, i know i'd probably get more out of an intake, but that's mainly because my boot isn't damaged. your dints weren't that heavy though - have you gotten a quote for repairs?

if my boot were damaged id fix that more.

get approx costs for each of those things (new CF boot, fixing current boot, intake of your choice) and weigh it up that way i reckon. ultimately, you're going to do both, just depends on which one's more important to do first.

IMO fixing damage = priority.

brendan1990
28-05-2010, 06:55 AM
well i havent really found out where to purchase the intake yet, but im hoping that will change when i go to this OTR place tonight, the quote to repair the bonnet was around $350, but the only carbon boot i have found was on ebay for $700, but im sure i can find one cheaper than that, so yeah just another thing to look at tonight.

androo
28-05-2010, 07:46 AM
I would first fix up the damage. That would also be my priority. Since your car is black I think it would look awesome with the carbon, however as brendan said get quotes for a repair, OEM replacement (I know S2000 parts are hard to find =]) and carbon replacement and see what's the best for you!

If the best quote was $350 and a carbon one is $600-700 I would go carbon no questions asked. I think black cars + carbon = fkn awesome!

Fix it up before the mods. I'm driving around in a beat up Integra at the moment that has a loud exhaust....... Everyone looks and instead of seeing a clean car they see an asian and immediately think 'what a fking loser can't even drive look at all those dents' etc. etc. Yours is no where near mine but yeh repairs>mods!

Good luck on the S2000! Sounds like you're going to have plenty of fun with it!

rokkuchan
28-05-2010, 04:13 PM
save up buy a house. then later use equity+captital gains buy whatever u want all at once. :)

s2k is good to drive in stock... the mods above will not do much to your car besides the bling factor. u still get the attention in stock... but yeah, fix up the dents first

I miss driving around in good comfy suspension....

brendan1990
28-05-2010, 06:39 PM
ok well i went to the otr place today and it was like tuner heaven! it was sweet as. first of all sorry rokkuchan but F saving for a house, im only 19 and wanna enjoy no debt, and not much responsibility for as long as i can, anyway im not going to get either boot or intake, lol sorry for the waste of a post =\ the guy that owns the store said carbon body parts are illegal and he has to specify that to anyone interested in buying them, so if a cop pulls you over and you get deffected then its your own responsibilty, having said that im sure ill come back to it in the future, but anyway after talking to the guy for a good 3 quarters of an hour ive decided ill jsut get the boot & bonnet repaired, not as cool but cheaper, and then upgrade my.....suspension =) very left field but aye lots of good can come from it, it will be a bit lower which everyone tells me i need to do, and it will handel a heck of alot better, and im gonna do it properly, though im looking at 1.5-2g =( but it will be worth it. Just a bit more saving.

JAP-S2K
29-05-2010, 06:01 PM
Yeah smart on fixing your car and choosing to get coilovers, a heads up though, just getting any coilovers won't mean it will handle better than factory. If your going to fork out money for coilovers, then fork out some extra for decent ones. Stay kilometers away from D2, G4, Ksport or any other cheap shit brand, as nice coloured anodising and an attractive price is pretty much all they are, with the ability of adjusting ride height(awesome if your rocking 20" chromies BRO). A decent set should set you back about 2K and above. Everything priced under that will perform less than factory, or may perform decent, but only for a short period of time, as our crappy roads will destroy the shock absorber valves in next to no time and therefore making them useless. Also the tricky choice when choosing, you should always choose a set that most suited for your driving needs and environment. As an expesive track spec coilover is totally useless on the street, and streets are generally not great for track. So study what's out there, as theres plenty of good ones to choose from? Make some suggestions on what coilovers your after and like, and i'm sure you'll get all the good and bad feedback you'll need to hear.

vyets
29-05-2010, 09:51 PM
Maybe find a 2nd hand boot and bonnet I see afew pop up once and awhile on ebay.

As for coils, well I can't go past recommending the one I'm selling right? hahah.

brendan1990
30-05-2010, 02:31 PM
well the springs for 1500 he said will definitely perform better than the stock ones (the guy at otr motorsports) but for about 2n a bit can get ones called tnn, or tien i cant recall what he said exactly.

euromandeluxe
30-05-2010, 03:15 PM
well the springs for 1500 he said will definitely perform better than the stock ones (the guy at otr motorsports) but for about 2n a bit can get ones called tnn, or tien i cant recall what he said exactly.

I'd be kinda wary of what they say about what's better and what's not - most ppl don't know s2000s that well, and the stock setup is pretty good. was that 1500 for just springs? or full coils with shocks too? what brand?

brendan1990
30-05-2010, 05:06 PM
i dunno what brand the 1500 kit was but its a full setup, im pretty sure they know what they are doing though the most common cars are evo's and wrx's followed by integras and a few s2k's but you should of seen the evo's in the workshop they where sexual!

JAP-S2K
30-05-2010, 06:07 PM
Find out what brand shocks and springs they were, For $1500 they would want to be premium items, break down what you mean by full setup? As there's so many aftermarket suspension items available. Hope they didn't mention the word sway bar/s, as changing them is the biggest no-no in S2K suspension tuning. Tein coilovers are good, but there's plenty more brands available.

vyets
30-05-2010, 07:00 PM
OTR know what they're talking about, but when they are talking to someone that doesn't know what they're talking (no offense) about and they translate it back to us, its super confusing. Stock S2000 suspension will out performance most low end coilovers and by that I mean most coilovers that are below $2000

ludecrs
30-05-2010, 07:55 PM
I have Whiteline F&R sways ^^

Just not installed.... lol.

Ferrari
30-05-2010, 08:52 PM
Find out what brand shocks and springs they were, For $1500 they would want to be premium items, break down what you mean by full setup? As there's so many aftermarket suspension items available. Hope they didn't mention the word sway bar/s, as changing them is the biggest no-no in S2K suspension tuning. Tein coilovers are good, but there's plenty more brands available.

Why are they the biggest No No's in S2000 tuning?

euromandeluxe
30-05-2010, 08:53 PM
Hope they didn't mention the word sway bar/s, as changing them is the biggest no-no in S2K suspension tuning.

interesting, original owner of my car installed a whiteline (if i remember right) front swaybar to try to settle the rear end down a bit. everything else is as it was from factory. i like it.

is the only reason you said that because it changes the dynamics of the car (and how it was 'meant' to handle)?

brendan1990
30-05-2010, 09:47 PM
OTR know what they're talking about, but when they are talking to someone that doesn't know what they're talking (no offense)

lol non taken, and if im to break it down i think they mean coilovers,struts, and springs?? but i would just be assuming, i got plenty of fast 4's mags that have many pages of info on this sort of stuff so il be sure to read up on it. especially when spending this sort of money.

vyets
30-05-2010, 10:37 PM
S2000 standard rear sway is fine, unless you're going hardcore and used to a twitchy rear end and when I say twitchy I don't mean puching it out of a corner for a little skid. Peronsonally I don't even think you need to upgrade the sways at all if your running a staggered setup anyway but when it comes down to swaybars it depends on the way you drive the car and how you want it to behave.

Coil overs pretty much means Shocks + springs together with adjustments, coilovers, struts ANd springs just dosen't make sense. Fast fours don't tend to list much about suspension so I wouldn't bother skimming though that, you'll have better luck in google.

brendan1990
30-05-2010, 10:56 PM
ok well thanks for the info =), as far as the mag goes though its like a 5 page write up on what to look out for, and a break down of each part of the coilovers.....if my memory serves me correct

JAP-S2K
30-05-2010, 11:58 PM
Before heaps of owners go WTF?!?!?.... let me explain. By changing sways, your introducing new characteristics, not necessarily good ones either. Sway bars should be changed when your trying to eliminate excessive understeer or oversteer and/or you have reached the limitations of adjustment and neither understeer or oversteer can be dialled out, or when your boat has excessive roll. S2K's don't suffer from boat syndrome, nor do they suffer from excessive oversteer or understeer. However slight oversteer is more common than understeer in our cars. The problem most owners make, is they replace the front sway bar in an attempt to eliminate oversteer. Effectively you will dull the oversteer a bit, which is o.k. However now you've introduced understeer, as you changed a suspension component in the front to combat an issue in the rear, when the correct procedure would have been to reduce the size of sway bar and or soften up the rear, however doing so would only make the rear feel even worse and more unsettled in factory trim. A good set of coilovers can and will eliminate oversteer and that unsettled feeling in the rear end as well as the add performance to the suspension, through the beauty of have stiffness adjustability (as well as having better spring rates) and therefore fine tuning is easily done. I'm not saying don't ever change your sway bars, by no means, change them when they NEED changing, and fully understand what a sway bar actually does and how they work and how they work in relation to your spring rates. There are many different sways available, and bigger isn't necessarily better. Sway bars are a good choice when large gains/reductions are required.

vyets
31-05-2010, 11:14 AM
Before heaps of owners go WTF?!?!?.... let me explain. By changing sways, your introducing new characteristics, not necessarily good ones either. Sway bars should be changed when your trying to eliminate excessive understeer or oversteer and/or you have reached the limitations of adjustment and neither understeer or oversteer can be dialled out, or when your boat has excessive roll. S2K's don't suffer from boat syndrome, nor do they suffer from excessive oversteer or understeer. However slight oversteer is more common than understeer in our cars. The problem most owners make, is they replace the front sway bar in an attempt to eliminate oversteer. Effectively you will dull the oversteer a bit, which is o.k. However now you've introduced understeer, as you changed a suspension component in the front to combat an issue in the rear, when the correct procedure would have been to reduce the size of sway bar and or soften up the rear, however doing so would only make the rear feel even worse and more unsettled in factory trim. A good set of coilovers can and will eliminate oversteer and that unsettled feeling in the rear end as well as the add performance to the suspension, through the beauty of have stiffness adjustability (as well as having better spring rates) and therefore fine tuning is easily done. I'm not saying don't ever change your sway bars, by no means, change them when they NEED changing, and fully understand what a sway bar actually does and how they work and how they work in relation to your spring rates. There are many different sways available, and bigger isn't necessarily better. Sway bars are a good choice when large gains/reductions are required.

Carbon gearknob is POO! You wouldn't want a light gearknob anyway

You're just ripping it lately man! I don't know why you bother to type up such long detailed replies, I mean if people like to buy shit for the **** of it and not know what it does just let em :P

PS. PERFECT REPLY! :) One of the reasons why my WL RSB is sitting in the garage collecting dust lolll. Like every single mod you buy, it comes down to how you use it to your advantage all mods are a double edged sword the way I see it.

JAP-S2K
31-05-2010, 06:21 PM
I don't know why you bother to type up such long detailed replies, I mean if people like to buy shit for the **** of it and not know what it does just let em :P

Ah it's no hassle at all, as most get fooled into buying stuff they simply don't need. Sway bars are generally a suspension item that is misunderstood and most are led to believe that changing your sway bars will instantly improve handling on a car, in some models of car this would be true. In ours it's not! Sometimes it's good to be vocal, i rather stop someone from getting ripped off, then just sit back and laugh in there face and say i told you so! :thumbsup:

vyets
31-05-2010, 07:21 PM
Not everyone buys for function but man, most people buy for the **** of buying lol, and with that mindset their handling will be improved no matter what lol

JAP-S2K
31-05-2010, 07:57 PM
Hahaha so true!