PDA

View Full Version : engine hesitating when cold..also changing fuel filter

egb16b
29-05-2010, 04:23 PM
Hey guys got a quick questions about my girlfriends CE Lancer..1.5 SOHC motor.

I know its not a honda but i thougt somebody might be able to help me out.

Basically the car will sometimes hesitate when trying to accelerate when the engine is still cold. Once the car warms up, its fine. It only happens when the car is cold and just after starting the engine.

I gave the car a full service and changed the oil, oil filter, air filter, spark plugs and leads.
I'm gonna change the fuel filter next week when i have time.

Anybody know what the problem might be???

sneakyEG
29-05-2010, 05:14 PM
Hey mate... Did the hesitation start before or after your service? That motor injected? Well how bad is the misfire? does it still start easily or crank for a while? Did it run out of coolant or overheat any time before the hesitation started?

egb16b
29-05-2010, 05:24 PM
nah it's been hesitating for a while now. I gave it the full service hoping that might fix it.

The hesitation isn't that bad.. when taking off in first its its fine...then put it into second..at about 2k rpm it will lose power for abuot a second.. then it will come back..

it idles fine and starts fine..its just got the hesitation/loss of power when its cold.

The car's never really had any problems before, this would be the first problem we've come accross..its weird.. =/

TODA AU
30-05-2010, 02:41 PM

Basically the car will sometimes hesitate when trying to accelerate when the engine is still cold. Once the car warms up, its fine. It only happens when the car is cold and just after starting the engine.

I gave the car a full service and changed the oil, oil filter, air filter, spark plugs and leads.

There's no problem,
The car is built & tuned for the lowest common denominator,
As such the mixtures are deliberatly just a little on the lean side during cold start so old ladies & retards don't foul their plugs driving 3~400 meters down the road.
Fix is, like your old man would have told you...
Warn the car up before driving.

blabla
30-05-2010, 05:12 PM
Got the same sort of issue with my bro's ca18de. If the motor has over heated and then it starts to hesitate what could be the problem?

grifty
30-05-2010, 06:33 PM
Got the same sort of issue with my bro's ca18de. If the motor has over heated and then it starts to hesitate what could be the problem?

probably compression leaking somewhere

egb16b
30-05-2010, 06:59 PM
but it only started happening like 2 months ago, before that it was fine..

so your saying its fine and not to worry about it..just warm it up before driving??

SajadEG
30-05-2010, 07:29 PM
but it only started happening like 2 months ago, before that it was fine..

so your saying its fine and not to worry about it..just warm it up before driving??

My car's been doing this aswell, but it hesitates more when he engine has warmed up...i had it checked and my mech says its the THROTTLE BODY, so im gonna get that replaced

Have a look around the throttle body to make sure all the map sensors and cables are clipped in properly

quangsuke
30-05-2010, 08:01 PM

have u driven it since the service?
is it still occurring if so?

quangsuke
30-05-2010, 08:03 PM
My car's been doing this aswell, but it hesitates more when he engine has warmed up...i had it checked and my mech says its the THROTTLE BODY, so im gonna get that replaced

Have a look around the throttle body to make sure all the map sensors and cables are clipped in properly

did ur mechanic also check if enough current is flowing through your leads?
hesitating car from MY experience is because there isn't enough current flowing through the cylinders.

just my 2 cents.

SajadEG
30-05-2010, 10:38 PM
did ur mechanic also check if enough current is flowing through your leads?
hesitating car from MY experience is because there isn't enough current flowing through the cylinders.

just my 2 cents.

How do you test that? Is there a machine

quangsuke
30-05-2010, 10:50 PM

current meter.
take to mechanic and ask him to test it.

or use plastic pliers and pull them slowly out 1 by 1. should shoot little sparks. if it does than needs replacing.

grifty
30-05-2010, 11:28 PM

all u need is a multimeter and a tape measure, set the mutlimeter to 200k ohms and measure the resistance of them, you will also need to measure the length of them.

a lead should be within 17k-26k ohms per meter. for example i have a lead that is 25cm long and has a resistance of 4.5k ohms. 25x4= 100cm so you do the same and multiply the resistance by 4 (4.5x4=18K ohms) which will give you ohms per meter.

TODA AU
31-05-2010, 07:51 AM
Common sence tells you to stick with the scope of the problem or you'll never solve it.
The OP's problem is only when it's cold...
All this other talk is off topic

egb16b
31-05-2010, 01:31 PM
i've already changed the leads to new ones so that shouldn't be a problem..

i appreciate the replies but like toda is saying you guys are going a little off topic..

i was thinking it could be the injectors or something to do with fuel..possibly not sending properly..hence the loss in power??

blabla
31-05-2010, 06:40 PM
fuel pump and filter could be a problem as brothers previous car did the same until fuel filter and pump where changed

egb16b
31-05-2010, 08:11 PM
missus reckons the hesitation when the cars cold doesn't happen anymore..

So i reckon changing the plugs and the leads did the trick!!

i bought a fuel filter for it as well but i haven't changed it cos it looked a lil confusing.

Anybody know how to change this over?? it cost me 70 bux so i dont wanna waste it!