PDA

View Full Version : problem with Em1...

Biz
30-05-2010, 08:40 PM
So last friday me and some mates decided to clean out the entire engine bay over and under. so we took out the intake and cover the hole with a plastic bag

then we hosed it all down then degreased it.. then hosed it down again
and scrubbed away at some random stuff on some metal parts.
basically made it really clean.

but now...
- the speedometer is on and off all the time... (mainly off)
- Idles at 1-1.2 and then suddenly drops to 500 sometimes and sometimes even the engine turns off.
- the power i get when i push the accelerator is equivalent to my previous civic BREEZE
- and it sounds like a rexy...

wtf...

some ppl rekon water got in somewhere...
what does that mean? water got INTO the actual engine? or what?
and if so... what can i do now?

pancake
30-05-2010, 08:44 PM
it might be that you got some water in one of the cylinders and your car is currently running on 3 cylinders

Biz
30-05-2010, 08:45 PM
it might be that you got some water in one of the cylinders and your car is currently running on 3 cylinders

what do i do ?

filip5
30-05-2010, 08:53 PM
check your distributor and spark plug leads on the distributor try pushing them in

pancake
30-05-2010, 09:01 PM
do a compression test for all 4 cylinders to see if theres any problems there

mrwillz
30-05-2010, 09:02 PM
check sparks as well if any water may of gotten in?

grifty
30-05-2010, 09:05 PM
if it sounds like a rexy then its most likely that one or more of you cylinders is not firing, this would also explain the power loss. try taking out your leads and putting them back in to see if that makes a difference, if not take out your leads and measure the resistance of them with a multimeter and set the multimeter to 200k ohms, also measure the length of your leads as well.

espionage85
30-05-2010, 11:03 PM
if you see water where the spark plugs sit, do not remove the spark plugs untill you have cleaned all the water out of there.

i just done a conversion on my car and it was doing that, i pulled the plugs out and there was f**king water in there, dont know how it got there tho?!?!?!

i blew it out with a compresor until there wasnt a drop in there, changed the sparks plugs and the car was running healthy.

Biz
31-05-2010, 06:33 PM
thx so much guys! ill do all these tests tomorrow.. cant tonight =/ FML
so worried! ARGGGHHH
never cleaning my engine bay again.. let it stay filthy... ill update tomorrow.. thx everyone!

RR-04-RR
31-05-2010, 06:45 PM
Changing your sparks (dizzy, plugs, possibly leads) should fix the rexy sounds, its probably just water seeping into plug area and making it run on 3 cylinders, but i dont think it would fix the speedo problem, i assume you hit a sensor when you were cleaning? Possibly the VSS? (vehicle speed sensor)

Biz
01-06-2010, 07:39 AM
Changing your sparks (dizzy, plugs, possibly leads) should fix the rexy sounds, its probably just water seeping into plug area and making it run on 3 cylinders, but i dont think it would fix the speedo problem, i assume you hit a sensor when you were cleaning? Possibly the VSS? (vehicle speed sensor)

mmmm yeh thats what i thought.
maybe even the actual speedo cable got screwed up.
gonna have a huge look into it this evening.. FINGERS CROSSEDD!!!

Biz
01-06-2010, 07:46 PM
ok so i started the car.. and then took the spark plugs out one by one...
1st works
2nd works
3rd doesnt
4th doesnt

now it gets weird...

i then tried the distrubuters...
1st works
2nd works
3rd WORKS
4th doesnt

wtf??

should i just ring up an auto-electrician to come check it out...

CUZ THE CAR WONT START NOWWWW :( :( :(
**** my life

CB7_OWNER
01-06-2010, 07:55 PM
If you haven't any idea how to proceed from there, and cant diagnose the problem yourself. Then I'd recommend you seek some professional advice.

BTW, how did you "hose down" the engine bay....??? at work we use the high pressure hose from the wash bay (used to wash cars) to hose down the engine bay.. and we have never had any problems before.

Biz
01-06-2010, 08:13 PM
If you haven't any idea how to proceed from there, and cant diagnose the problem yourself. Then I'd recommend you seek some professional advice.

BTW, how did you "hose down" the engine bay....??? at work we use the high pressure hose from the wash bay (used to wash cars) to hose down the engine bay.. and we have never had any problems before.

yeh ill ring an auto-electrician tomorrow...

well
we took off the air intake and cover the hole very tightly, so thats ok. and yeh, we had a high pressure hose too at my mates house.
and he just basically hosed over everything, over the top, sides, underneath, everything!
sooooo much dirt came off.
i fear the distributers must have gotten screwed in the process.. and maybe the spark plugs.. too ? argh
how do you hose em down at work?

espionage85
01-06-2010, 11:20 PM
dont let the dizzy get wet,
was there any water were the spark plugs go??

Biz
02-06-2010, 07:47 AM
dont let the dizzy get wet,
was there any water were the spark plugs go??

nah there was no water anywhere to be honest.
altho...
adding onto the spark plug/distributer tests... i also noticed that there was almost no engine oil left =/

espionage85
02-06-2010, 10:31 AM
youll need a new dizzy,
or if you have a mate with a b16a borrow his just to test the spark. before you buy one.
spark plugs and leads should still be ok

do a full service on your car once the problem has been solved, (plugs, oil, filters)

Biz
02-06-2010, 06:50 PM
the nrma came by today and said i have no sparks...
so its gonna get towed to a mechanic tomorrow...
does that just been ill need new distributer plugs and spark plugs?

espionage85
02-06-2010, 10:44 PM
nope, on the left had side of the engine you will see a black box looking thing, the spark plugs run into that. thats the dizzy
cheapest option is to replace the coil on the inside of that dizzy for around $65
or you can buy a whole new dizzy for a couple of hundred i think.

towing it to a mechanic will cost you a fortune, try replacing the dizzy
call honbits and ask how much a b16a2 dizzy cost