PDA

View Full Version : FD2R Tips/Suggestions

Nairda
30-05-2010, 11:15 PM
Hi Guys,

Been awhile since i last posted. A lot has changed since i was last looking on the OzHonda forums since my first car was too old to be worthwhile modifying so i kind of let it sit for 3 years.

However it is nearly time that i inherit/buy a car from my parents (we have sort of a deal going on).
Initially the idea is that my parents sell me a car they have been using at the end of the lease term for an extremely good price, i buy the car off my parents which is a 3 year old Accord Euro Lux.

As you know with the recent hailstorm a few months ago, that has severely complicated things and my parents suggest i trade the euro in, and buy a new car (apparently parents are skeptical that the repairs done by courtney&patterson may cause problems in the future) . They have suggested i get a new civic. Estimated value in trade in is around 30k.

Initially i was resistant to the idea (since the euro is a more powerful and practical car) but i started warm up to the idea of getting an FD.

I plan to in a few years time attempt to do a conversion for the FD - if possible get a FD2R kit for it. After doing a bit of reading i have read some things about the FD2R kit not being able to fit on the FD1s, so if at all possible i will be trying to go for the FD2(sport).

Can anyone tell me whether a FD2R exhaust would fit onto an FD1 or FD2 since they use different engines, and also if i buy the car in taffeta white, would the wing and bodykit mismatch? For this reason should i get the car in Crystal black pearl because the black should be the same? Eventually i may want to convert the engine to K20A. Also that being said can i get some feedback for the R18A1 and the K20Z? Comparison? soundtrack? Fun rating?

Also one other thing - I have read on some ozhonda forums dating 2 years back that people were able to get the FD2 for 30k. It seems optimistic to the point of gullible but has anyone been able to get it for around this? Insurance is also a concern as i am 21 and the only real reason im not going ahead to buy an EP3R is because i dont want to fork out extra for insurance.

There are a few options:

FD1 Vti-L
FD1 Vti Limited Ed.
FD2 Sport

Feel free to comment as much as you want

curtis265
31-05-2010, 01:18 AM
I plan to in a few years time attempt to do a conversion for the FD - if possible get a FD2R kit for it. After doing a bit of reading i have read some things about the FD2R kit not being able to fit on the FD1s, so if at all possible i will be trying to go for the FD2(sport).

This is true, however replica FD2R kits for the FD1 are around, just gotta know where to find it.

Can anyone tell me whether a FD2R exhaust would fit onto an FD1 or FD2 since they use different engines, and also if i buy the car in taffeta white, would the wing and bodykit mismatch? For this reason should i get the car in Crystal black pearl because the black should be the same? Eventually i may want to convert the engine to K20A. Also that being said can i get some feedback for the R18A1 and the K20Z? Comparison? soundtrack? Fun rating?

If you buy an OEM type R bumper set, it will come painted in your choice of colour... and you'd have to get it from Honda Japan, not Honda Australia.Your best bet would be to get a replica kit, as they're more than likely designed to fit onto the FD1 fenders. How well they fit - i dont know. Same goes for engine - you'd have to buy it form Honda Japan, and since that engine's not availble on civics here, you'll have issues registering it. As for R18A1 and K20Z2, the basic jist is that the R will use less fuel and the K will go faster... although not very much faster.

I personally think there's more going for the R engine here, especially since the K20Z2 is the achille's heel of the K series.

Also one other thing - I have read on some ozhonda forums dating 2 years back that people were able to get the FD2 for 30k. It seems optimistic to the point of gullible but has anyone been able to get it for around this? Insurance is also a concern as i am 21 and the only real reason im not going ahead to buy an EP3R is because i dont want to fork out extra for insurance.

Have you looked at second hand?

Stig
31-05-2010, 03:21 AM

Either way if you get a FD1 or FD2, the FD2R kit will not be 100% bolt on, the FD2R fenders are wider than the FD1 or FD2 whereas the replica FD2R kits are direct bolt onto the FD1 or FD2 (you might need to shave the front reinforcement bar to fit the FD2R replica kit from what johnnyFD was saying)

Can anyone tell me whether a FD2R exhaust would fit onto an FD1 or FD2 since they use different engines.

Simple terms... no, chassis design is different.

If i buy the car in taffeta white, would the wing and bodykit mismatch? For this reason should i get the car in Crystal black pearl because the black should be the same?

FD2R white is championship white, so yes it would mismatch. Why not just purchase a kit without paint and paint it to your desired colour when you fit it on your car?

Eventually i may want to convert the engine to K20A. Also that being said can i get some feedback for the R18A1 and the K20Z? Comparison? soundtrack? Fun rating?

Generally if you want a K20A in the future, you are better getting a VTi (why spend so much money on a sport to throw away a perfectly good engine?) but as Ive heard a sport is easier to do an engine swap with. The R18A1 and the K20Z in the sport is generally more for fuel efficiency rather than VTAK YO! R18A1 is weaker than K20Z, but remember, the sport is heavier than VTi or VTi-L

Also one other thing - I have read on some ozhonda forums dating 2 years back that people were able to get the FD2 for 30k. It seems optimistic to the point of gullible but has anyone been able to get it for around this?

Previous models lack stuff with current models, like the sport with VSA and now all the civic range has side airbags wheres as the previous model (VTi) don't. Also current model is facelift. Prices have gone up for current civic's as well.

Nairda
31-05-2010, 08:46 AM
Thanks for the replies so far. Second hand is an option however my parents suggested i go for brand new because this car will be driven for 10 years. Just so we dont run into any issues they said to buy new.
I had been wondering about the R18A1 and the K20Z, which one is more fun? I had been reading that the R series engine has been designed for fuel efficiency where as the K series are more toward performance. I do recognise that the K20Z is the achilles heel for the K series engines, however by the time i attempt to do an engine swap it will be at least 6 years in the future in which i would expect (since the end of the japan 3 year new car period) that we will be seeing more popping up around here.

I am a little picky in terms of which car to go for, I would have liked either the VTiL or the Vti Lim Ed. - Vti LE has foglights, bluetooth, tailored mats, window fender (? sorry not sure what its called), where as the VTiL has better rims/tyres and has the audio controls on the steering wheel. That is why i was pushing for the sport because it has everything i want inside(and sunroof and leather seats). It did cross my mind if i was serious about doing a conversion that it probably would make more sense to do it on a VtiLE rather than a sport but as you know(and as i have read) that not all parts for the FD2R fit onto the FD1. I have heard rumours that some internal components such as exhaust. etc wont fit even though its the same chassis?

What can you guys tell me about the R18 engine in comparison to lets say a D16 or B16? Fun factor? is there any distinct vtec tone?

bangers178
31-05-2010, 01:39 PM
no offense, but u really need to do ur own research instead of asking so many questions. there is heaps of tread around ozhonda regurad every question u have asked.

Nairda
31-05-2010, 03:43 PM
no offense, but u really need to do ur own research instead of asking so many questions. there is heaps of tread around ozhonda regurad every question u have asked.

I have been searching, maybe the entries i type in dont match? Besides that its difficult to find good runs of K20Z and R18A1 on youtube, when i do i cant tell whether its k20z or R18 or even the US civic Si. I do my research before i post and i only post if i cant find the answer after hours of looking. Sorry if they sound noob but i dont currently know many people who have FDs who actually do anything to them

moons
06-06-2010, 01:37 PM
FFS just by a Type R already and stop playing pretend. You do realize every genuine Type R owner will just look at your dressed up car and laugh, don't you?

xenonkuraz
06-06-2010, 02:12 PM
Atleast driving around in a dressed up FD2 is better than driving around in a dressed up EG or EK.

Laugh out loud at those Cxi/Gli models with red badges and type-R stickers.

moons
06-06-2010, 03:28 PM
Atleast driving around in a dressed up FD2 is better than driving around in a dressed up EG or EK.

LOL. No its not. In fact, it's exactly the same.

Actually, there should be a shame thread where we can post all the fake Red Hs we encounter on our travels.

FDBenni
06-06-2010, 03:36 PM
Everyone has their own taste, there's probably only 1 or 2 genuine Type Rs in Australia anyway, saw a nice white FD with the the full FD2R kit the other day and I must say looks very unique, even had the badging. I'd probably do without the badging, but that's personal choice. It's a bit more refreshing to look at than seeing the mugen kit all the time. Maybe some people like the styling of a Type R.

xenonkuraz
06-06-2010, 04:01 PM
LOL. No its not. In fact, it's exactly the same.

Actually, there should be a shame thread where we can post all the fake Red Hs we encounter on our travels.

Well to add to this I suppose it depends on the situation. My last car was a Forester GT, with full STi bodykit.

Stop at that and I guess you can say 'lol' but when I mention the car also has STi engine and running gear, people would then be like 'oh, nice!'

So the point I'm trying to make is that if you're going to replicate something your car is not, if it has the potential to be as good or better than the real thing then I think it's cool.

What I'll be doing with my FD is just get a lip kit and Type-R or Mugen wing.

Fibreglass = fail

curtis265
06-06-2010, 05:05 PM
Yeah, but IMO, the badge pushes it too far.

You cant become one, you need to be born it.

Forester GT? nice! I've driven a XT luxury forester with a new turbo fitted (200 kw atw). fkin good fun :D

Nairda
06-06-2010, 05:15 PM
FFS just by a Type R already and stop playing pretend.

Well Honda Australia didnt bring us a FD2 Type S like the CSX-S in US so whos to blame?

Theres nothing wrong with buying bodykit for your car, if you want FD2R ur going to have to pay some supreme tax and import fee not to mention hassles with vicroads all because Honda Australia determined that the FN2R is 'Good Enough'. With bullshit like that you really reckon people who own type Rs are going to laugh?

When you have someone who does FD1 conversion to a FD2R you dont say "lol" especially when thats all we can do until Honda Australia stops pissing us off with their crappy marketing scheme....first the EK9, four-eyed DC2R, Integra Type S then the FN2R...All the stuff we ever get is always inferior to JDM.

Even if i do get the FD2R bodykit I'd probably leave the badges off just because i know its not a type R (or leave the normal badge on)

You do realize every genuine Type R owner will just look at your dressed up car and laugh, don't you?

I laugh at all the people driving FN2Rs that they paid actual money to buy crash helmets on wheels that is inferior to the EP3R...

Nairda
06-06-2010, 05:18 PM
What I'll be doing with my FD is just get a lip kit and Type-R or Mugen wing.

Thats what im going to do lol...i dont mind mugen lip kit or type R kit but definately type R wing....in the end it depends which one costs less...Might even go the mugen bumper cause im going for the mugen sports silencer.

Nairda
06-06-2010, 05:23 PM

Oh in that case ill be taking pictures and posting of ALL FN2Rs i see on the street because i consider those crash helmets an affront to the Type R badge...

Type R that cant corner = understeer into the garbage bin please...

Stig
06-06-2010, 05:30 PM
this debate has gone over the last 4 years since the 8th gen civic has come out, fn2r vs fd2r - which is inferior and which is superior, there is no definition to which one is better, it all depends on the market and consumers

too much personal attacking

thread closed

aaronng
06-06-2010, 06:05 PM
Type R that cant corner = understeer into the garbage bin please...

Just needed to add that if this is what you think about the current FN2R with LSD, then you have not driven one in real life. So stop judging it.