PDA

View Full Version : Annoying Antenna Noise

cda96
20-12-2004, 04:33 PM
noticed on nearly all hondas with the automatic antenna that
the motor makes a loud knocking noise when it goes up and down..
mine has gotten much louder over time and annoys the shit out of me
now that i got a headunit and goes up and down every time i change a
cd becoz it switched over to FM when te cd is changed.
oh by the way new head unit i got is the JVC EXAD :D its great!!!

so does ne1 no how to reduce eliminate this noise and keeping the antenna
up all the time is not an option either coz its gay.....
im guessin its sumtin to do with the starter motor or antenna insert

thanx in advance...

vti-2
20-12-2004, 04:44 PM
noticed on nearly all hondas with the automatic antenna that
the motor makes a loud knocking noise when it goes up and down..
mine has gotten much louder over time and annoys the shit out of me
now that i got a headunit and goes up and down every time i change a
cd becoz it switched over to FM when te cd is changed.
oh by the way new head unit i got is the JVC EXAD :D its great!!!

so does ne1 no how to reduce eliminate this noise and keeping the antenna
up all the time is not an option either coz its gay.....
im guessin its sumtin to do with the starter motor or antenna insert

thanx in advance...
Its not the motor. I replaced my antenna (the metal rod with the plastic teeth) and it was fine after that. That was on my DC2. And yes, it happens to a lot of Hondas.

Sp3rMz
20-12-2004, 05:04 PM
Easy option out of it which involves money is getting S2K or CRV antenna. Little short antenna.

lerroy
20-12-2004, 07:00 PM
mine does the same
personally dont like the s2000

putting a switch on the antenna signal lead helps i only switch mine on when using radio

Sp3rMz
20-12-2004, 07:07 PM
Oh good idea. Didn't know you could do that. My antenna just pops up when ever my stereo is on. CD or Radio.

reyesone
20-12-2004, 07:10 PM
there is a nice little article on TI.net on how to make an override switch for the antenna

here is the link

http://www.team-integra.net/sections/articles/showArticle.asp?ArticleID=74

kenshin
20-12-2004, 07:15 PM
i just unplugged mine...

never listen to the radio neway :D

metallica's the goer ... (ask spermz)

ECU-MAN
20-12-2004, 10:33 PM
clean and straighten your antenna mast.

cda96
21-12-2004, 02:28 AM
wat would it involve to get s2k type antenna and $$$

subwayboy
21-12-2004, 01:58 PM
i just put a switch on mine, works a treat

cda96
22-12-2004, 03:44 PM
Does ne1 no where i can get an aftermarket fixed antenna
short black one similar to S2k one!!!!!!
im located in melb
thanx

jay-bee'z
23-12-2004, 09:25 PM
damn i feelz ya....got an aftermarket cd player recently and now i notice the ariel wants to go up and down like everytime u switch cd's, turn the car off, and all sorts of shit....annoying az! i want to kill it, i never listen to the radio, but damn i got it professionally installed i dont want to go n pull the car apart again....how come the stock cd player seems to work with it in harmony...?

Javed
23-12-2004, 10:49 PM
well if it turns on everytime u listen to cd's and not just when the radio is on, then it wasnt a very "professional" job. However *maybe* the headunit you have sends 12volt to the antenna all the time, however it is rare. Might wanna get a multimeter and have a geeze.

cda96
24-12-2004, 12:59 PM
sum head units like mine automaticaly swtich to FM when u change a CD,
i think thats wat "jay-bee'z" meant... and it will also cum up and down when
u start or turn off the car and FM is on.
ive decided to rip out the whole auto antena coz its a piece of shit!!!
and just get a short black permanent one..

lerroy
25-12-2004, 06:48 AM
heheheh cool show us some pics when your done :)

Javed
25-12-2004, 11:50 AM
OH yes I misinterpreted, my mistake! Yeh I will be putting a switch on mine soon too, stupid TAP TAP TAP TAP TAP. ARGHHH

Duuuude
05-01-2005, 11:17 PM
My antenna used to make that stupid knocking sound too. I just got the mast or antenna pole (can't remember the exact name) replaced. Costed $100. I know, not cheap but it fixed the problem.

Boost
11-01-2005, 12:46 PM
I installed a switch in mine, had it for a long while now.. the problem is that over time water seeps down the antenna/moisture builds up inside, stiffens it up which makes it worst. It is best if you raise the antenna once in a while and keep it up for a while to keep it going.. like most things if you leave it up touch it gets stiff...

Spoon-Accord
29-01-2005, 01:38 PM
aftermarket headunits. like Pioneer and JVC have this.. when u turn on the headunit.. the attena comes up.. which is a bad feature..

when u listen to cd's on an alpine.. the attena stays down.. i just took my whole attena out and gave it to jimmy (aka toe) cause he is a radio junkie (loves to listen to late night love storys)

haha

well.. i just took my off and shaved it. u can atually buy one of those internal attena from the new later cars out now..

another thing is to try and straighten then attenna and oil it heaps!!

if ur not busy sometime steve. i'll have a look at it for yah sometime

Cheers

Ken

n0obi
28-03-2005, 04:24 PM
I clean mine with some WD40. Just spray it on, rub it up and down, wipe off with a cloth then turn off the headunit. Turn it back on, if it still makes that tapping sound, repeat until the sound is gone.

dundas
05-04-2005, 10:20 AM
hmmz, how much ya rekon da one is like from the DC5?

Integra
06-04-2005, 05:19 PM
I clean mine with some WD40. Just spray it on, rub it up and down, wipe off with a cloth then turn off the headunit. Turn it back on, if it still makes that tapping sound, repeat until the sound is gone.

does that really work?

My atenna gives me the shits.. only does that taping sound when im listening to the radio, but when i put in a cd antena stays down.

wynode
10-04-2005, 08:45 PM
clean and straighten your antenna mast.
Is it hard to do?

I haven't had a look yet but is there anything in particular that needs special attention?

ECU-MAN
10-04-2005, 08:47 PM
no its not that hard, if there are any kinks in the mast then its all over. as long as you clean it well, make sure the joints work and that the mast is straight a bit of lube and you should get lucky

Boost
12-04-2005, 01:12 PM
the knocking/clunking sounds is the motor retracting/expanding the mast.. and cause the mast is old it is not straight/lube dried up so it is unable to go up or down all the way anymore so when the motor pulls or pushes on the mast it will clunk.
If u install a switch to disable the antenna make sure u run it once in a while to prevent the mast from locking up..