PDA

View Full Version : EJ8 Turbo Questions

Hoops
31-05-2010, 04:41 PM
Gurus,

First up, if this is a repost or if there is one already/in the wrong section let me know, i searched really quickly but nothing caught my eye.

I just bought a stock EJ8 (d16y8), and am wondering:

1. how much it would cost me to turbo it ;)

2. Would i need to make any other mods first to accomodate?

3. what exactly do i need to buy? (is it a turbo kit? one part? many?) and what are good brands?

4. anyone else got an EJ8 with a turbo? hows it go? lol :cool:

Sorry for all the questions, ive never been good mechanically, but im really getting into it since i bought my new civic :thumbsup: and i wanna learn much more than i already have

Thanks

quangsuke
31-05-2010, 06:13 PM
Gurus,

First up, if this is a repost or if there is one already/in the wrong section let me know, i searched really quickly but nothing caught my eye.

I just bought a stock EJ8 (d16y8), and am wondering:

1. how much it would cost me to turbo it ;)

2. Would i need to make any other mods first to accomodate?

3. what exactly do i need to buy? (is it a turbo kit? one part? many?) and what are good brands?

4. anyone else got an EJ8 with a turbo? hows it go? lol :cool:

Sorry for all the questions, ive never been good mechanically, but im really getting into it since i bought my new civic :thumbsup: and i wanna learn much more than i already have

Thanks

there are heaps of d-series turbo builds a few on here aswell.
it all depends on your budget. so first of all how big is your budget for this turbo setup.

you will need to find
turbo
manifold
intercooler
piping
injectors
fuel pump
custom exhaust
piggyback ecu/new ecu

note: this is a basic list.

EK1.6LCIV
31-05-2010, 06:24 PM
buy shafts at driveshaftshop.com , get a nice hd multipuck clutch, read up on oil circulation and oil pump modifications then proceed to d-series/turbo d-series site

Hoops
31-05-2010, 06:49 PM
cool, man theres alot to learn!

not sure on my budget i spose no more than 2000? is this enough/only enough for a cheap job?

EK1.6LCIV
31-05-2010, 07:08 PM
its nearly enough for a ek4 engine/cut

turbo is alot of time, research and r&d, the more time you spend on usa sites the better :) alot of money to be saved and points noted, not a big thing to do here

Hoops
31-05-2010, 07:45 PM
lol awesome, so how much am i looking at for a really nice turbo set up on the engine i have now?

90LAN
31-05-2010, 07:53 PM
ebay is your friend if you want to turbo for around 2k

Killa From Manila
31-05-2010, 08:09 PM
multiply ur budget by 4

Hoops
31-05-2010, 08:34 PM
whats the go with this sort of thing?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Honda-Civic-D-Series-Complete-Turbo-Kit-turbocharger-/140407834486?cmd=ViewItem&pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20b0f58776

no brand Peice of crap?

sorry guys im completely new to it all!

BIGTYM
31-05-2010, 09:03 PM
Stay well away from cheap Ebay kits.... Cheap kits are exactly that, cheap and nasty. Do yourself a favour. Do your research, save your money and buy quality parts. With a turbo conversions Do right the first time and you'll be fine.

Hoops
31-05-2010, 09:20 PM
no worries, thanks for the input

m.o.d.aus
31-05-2010, 09:31 PM
It depends on your application.

THose ebay turbo kits are a hit and miss, quite a few ppl running around with them, getting decent numbers. Its all how you tune it, and use it.
Granted you might have to replace a few parts along the way (say a few months into it) but that will happen if you try and piece a kit together yourself aswell.
So i wouldnt overlook the ebay kits, aslong as its done right, and not thrashed, you should be fine IMO.

quangsuke
31-05-2010, 09:43 PM
ebay kits are cheap.
but its a quick solution (not always the best)... like m.o.d.aus, some people get a very nice setup running strong.
others get the engine blown, cracked manifolds, leaks etc.

goodluck and take the advice from the guys with experience.
BTW u can always sell and get a s13 turbo'd.

Hoops
31-05-2010, 09:48 PM
sweet, see how we go lol, only had th ecivic for a week!

EK1.6LCIV
01-06-2010, 07:52 AM
if you get a gay ebay kit at least make sure it's a cast iron manifold, has a garrett ball bearing turbocharger and a computer in the kit

for a good base to start with best bet is biting the bullet and buying the complete Edelbrock PerformerX #1500 from rocket or summit racing, similar to greddy but with actual instruction book and epa certified

EK1.6LCIV
01-06-2010, 10:58 AM
http://www.carshopinc.com/images/EDE/1500.jpg

Hoops
01-06-2010, 01:46 PM
Ah awesome advice thanks man, I'm lovin this place, learning alot!

m.o.d.aus
02-06-2010, 10:52 PM
Is that all the kit comes with...? Please tell me its not, as then it wouldnt be a complete kit.... :S
Also how much do they go for? Looks the goods indeed :)

Edit: found a price thru summit racing, 3k, but that doesnt include ecu or injectors according to the site here (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-1503/)

EK1.6LCIV
03-06-2010, 01:13 PM
comes with everything to install on a stock d16y8 lol, been there helped with that, old kit but nothing like it for the money even still

this kit works straight bolt and play, comes with the best instructions you'll ever see, good building block for some making a kit from scratch even, good insight to how everthing works, hell I'm going to go out on a limb and say their instructions are even more detailed than say the likes of haynes

from the kits installation guide that I have in front of me funnily enough :)

The system includes a high-performance Performer X intake manifold with four additional injectors and a separate
electronic controller to add fuel and retard spark under boosted conditions. The Edelbrock Exhaust manifold and elbow are designed
for maximum flow and high velocity for quicker turbo spool-up. We have included an intercooler, blow-off valve, windshield pillar
mount boost gauge, o-ring sealed compressor flanges, a turbo oil supply adapter, and pre-assembled Russell oil, water, and fuel lines
to make this one of the most complete kits on the market.

if you look harder you'll even find a pdf copy of the whole guide that comes with the kit including a huge parts list which puts ebay to shame lol