PDA

View Full Version : the rear guards' screw/bolt

rokkuchan
20-12-2004, 06:10 PM
Hey,
I just got in my 17"x7" rims with 205/40 zr17 Falken tyres, got my car lowered heaps, now every bump scrapes the tyres!!!

It's only the part where there is a bolt to hold the rear bumper... Has anyone taken out the bolt and 'sand it' away to smooth out so it won't scrape tyres???

what will happen if i took out the bolt/screw and sand it away? would the side of the rear bumper (top middle section or rear guards) flop out when driving fast? Would it be heaps lose?

Has anyone done it??? Heaps frustrated when it hits it and makes that weird nose!!!...

it goes smoothly if the road was smooth...

Thanks.

rokkuchan
20-12-2004, 07:10 PM
Here some pics of my tyre scraping... don't think can see very well but it's not that bad. Still drive-able, have to go slow tho... the white markings are the scraping.

*edit note:
sorry pics didn't work again, just view my signature...

Oldman
20-12-2004, 07:22 PM
It's only the part where there is a bolt to hold the rear bumper... Has anyone taken out the bolt and 'sand it' away to smooth out so it won't scrape tyres???

what will happen if i took out the bolt/screw and sand it away? would the side of the rear bumper (top middle section or rear guards) flop out when driving fast? Would it be heaps lose?

Has anyone done it??? Heaps frustrated when it hits it and makes that weird nose!!!...

What is the offset of your wheels. It could be too far out.
The Indo has fitted their with 19" wheels, no idea how they do it.
http://autoshow.permaisuri.com/Content/Autoshow.asp?AutoID=20041216171207

The original vtis wheels has +52 offset, they will not rub no matter how low you lowered the car but they look awful, wheels deep inside the guard.

rokkuchan
20-12-2004, 07:41 PM
I've lowered 3" + on my rear so yeah it will go inside the guard.
That indo's car on permaisuiri site u gave didn't seem to lower that much so he probably not scraping at all.

Not sure what offset it is... my VTi-S wheels are only 15x 6" wide, my new wheels are 7" wide... an inch wider, so i think increasing wideness will hit guard eventually regardless of what offset it is...? but i dont know...

anyway, so neone else can help??

Thnks

muli
20-12-2004, 07:44 PM
rokkuchan, pics not working for me. That black also has a 5-stud conversion or either a adaptor plate that goes onto the 4-studs

Oldman
20-12-2004, 07:56 PM
I've lowered 3" + on my rear so yeah it will go inside the guard.
That indo's car on permaisuiri site u gave didn't seem to lower that much so he probably not scraping at all.

Not sure what offset it is... my VTi-S wheels are only 15x 6" wide, my new wheels are 7" wide... an inch wider, so i think increasing wideness will hit guard eventually regardless of what offset it is...? but i dont know...

anyway, so neone else can help??

Thnks

I suggest you should go back to the tyre shop where you have the wheels fitted. They should be able to help. Maybe with a rear wheel alignment with a 2 degreee camber or something like that.

rokkuchan
20-12-2004, 07:57 PM
rokkuchan, pics not working for me. That black also has a 5-stud conversion or either a adaptor plate that goes onto the 4-studs

umm 5 stud conversion? does it matter?

but the pics is fixed now, if not worky again, please view my signature.

thanks.

STTICH
20-12-2004, 08:21 PM
hi there rokkuchan ..thanks alot for ur previous info given. the rear of my jazz is about 1.5in+ lowered and am having 7in wide wheels as well. so far its ok for me ..but when 3 people sit at the back..and yup scrapes the tyres!!! so i could understand how u feel -_-
was your vti-s wheels alright when its 3in+ lowered and having 3 people sitting on it??

TypeG
20-12-2004, 08:44 PM
same here STTICH
plus i got a soft suspension setup
3'...... ask for tyre shop for comments, i know they can sove the problem by doing sth to yr rear panel but just no idea how i can mention in english
lol

rokkuchan
20-12-2004, 08:49 PM
hi there rokkuchan ..thanks alot for ur previous info given. the rear of my jazz is about 1.5in+ lowered and am having 7in wide wheels as well. so far its ok for me ..but when 3 people sit at the back..and yup scrapes the tyres!!! so i could understand how u feel -_-
was your vti-s wheels alright when its 3in+ lowered and having 3 people sitting on it??
I can have 5 people in my car and also boot full of 10KG rice bags, it still won't scrape with my stock VTi-S wheels... it is perfect for it but too small...

it's only 6" wide, it'll only scrape with 7" wide...

I'm taking my car tomorrow to an exhaust/ turbo/ guard rolling etc workshop... see what they can do for me...

STTICH
20-12-2004, 08:50 PM
yea but u could probably get away by rounding the guards i guess..its somthing like $40-$50 for one side. go ask the tyre shop.
but havnt u done so rokkuchan?? since ur car is already quite low even b4 u changed to 17x7 .

rokkuchan
20-12-2004, 08:55 PM
yea but u could probably get away by rounding the guards i guess..its somthing like $40-$50 for one side. go ask the tyre shop.
but havnt u done so rokkuchan?? since ur car is already quite low even b4 u changed to 17x7 .
Yeah I already rolled it ages ago when I first went 18"x7"... but then i only lowered 1.5" then . It just that there's that stupid screw right under the guard.

I think rolling might be useless, if it scrapes, it's only the screw part...

STTICH
20-12-2004, 09:00 PM
wow..u went thru a series choices of wheels :) from 18in back to 15in stock and now 17in :p why didnt u think of 205/45/16?? i think thats the best combination for both performance and looks.

TypeG
20-12-2004, 09:05 PM
i am running 205/45 as well
still hit with a minimum lower
rolling guard will help i think or get some hard susspension
but 3' inch is way too low

rokkuchan
20-12-2004, 09:13 PM
wow..u went thru a series choices of wheels :) from 18in back to 15in stock and now 17in :p why didnt u think of 205/45/16?? i think thats the best combination for both performance and looks.
haha yeah... 18" was too big, went back to 15" too small, now i'm trying 17". I reckon it's perfect. In combination with good tyres and crappy 'sort of' light wheels, have no loss in torque compared to my stock. There is but can't tell most of the time when im at the traffic light in 1st gear.

now just that DAMN screw!

no matter what size, 15, 16 or 17 except 18 onwards, the overall diameter of the wheel inc tyre is about equal. i got 195/55 r15 on stock, 205/40 r17. not much difference. If you have 16"x7" with 205/45, then I think it's nearly same diameter of my 17" . Almost the same? Just 17" more metal, 16" more thickness of tyre unless you got 2xx/35 (or40).

All to do with the wide-ness if scraping or not...

STTICH
20-12-2004, 09:15 PM
are u running wth 16in TypeG?? if its 15in wouldnt 205/45 be too small..i mean the whole diameter of the wheel ( rim+tyres )

STTICH
20-12-2004, 09:19 PM
no rokkuchan.. if the rim's 16in and go wth 205/45 the whole diameter will b smaller than 205/40/r17 im' pretty sure. so tats why i think its good ..cause u can bring ur car down even lower lol ;p

STTICH
20-12-2004, 09:22 PM
but if its the scraping problem u're facing..then i would hav a clue :) but i guess u're right since 7in wide is a bit wide ..
lol

rokkuchan
20-12-2004, 09:23 PM
no rokkuchan.. if the rim's 16in and go wth 205/45 the whole diameter will b smaller than 205/40/r17 im' pretty sure. so tats why i think its good ..cause u can bring ur car down even lower lol ;p
Oh i forgot to say. I've tried 16" 's already... Didn't like them... and it would still scrape with 1.5" lowered right? after 3 people in the back? well now it's 3" + no people in back ... be in the same situation as my 17's..

STTICH
20-12-2004, 09:32 PM
wow..u really hav gone thru many different types of wheels.. :)
well i dont know whether 205/45/r16 would scrape or not..since the wheels are a bit smaller. i'm having 17in (sadly..but still cool :) ) wth just 1.5 lowered ( i wanted more ! ) ..no problem but when loaded..then scrape.

rokkuchan
20-12-2004, 09:40 PM
wow..u really hav gone thru many different types of wheels.. :)
well i dont know whether 205/45/r16 would scrape or not..since the wheels are a bit smaller. i'm having 17in (sadly..but still cool :) ) wth just 1.5 lowered ( i wanted more ! ) ..no problem but when loaded..then scrape.
Ok, since no one here has done taking the screw of and sanding it out, I'll make this sacrifice and take it out and break it!! I'll let u know the good news and bad news tomorrow after doing it... probably end up the need to repaire the whole bumper:eek:...
but if it works out, then I recommend you dropping to 4 inches...haha...

Hope goes well for me :thumbsup: ...

btw, i didn't own the 16", i owned the rest.. the 16" was on my bro's car... it was lenso light weight with toyo 205/45.

STTICH
20-12-2004, 09:42 PM
:) all the best mate !!! wait for your good news.

TypeG
20-12-2004, 10:26 PM
sorry
mine is 50 not 45
i am runing 15' still but looking for 16' a bit later

TypeG
20-12-2004, 10:27 PM
y u want so low?
USA style?
lol

STTICH
20-12-2004, 10:28 PM
hehe..yea i was just wondering..205/45/r15 ..what the :)
so would hav thought it to be bigger than 45.

TypeG
20-12-2004, 10:43 PM
my bad
i think i still owning my itr
lol

rokkuchan
21-12-2004, 04:50 PM
Got good news and bad news after removing the screw...

bad news is that it was lose when removed the screw. However, instead of having a screw on top of the guard to hold the side part of the bumper together, they relocated the screw up a little bit... so only the pointy part of the rear bumper is lose but you need to pull pretty hard to get that out...

and the Good news is, NO MORE SCRAPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D It was the screw area that was scraping alot. They bent the screw hole metal to the side and they some how made a clip that hang the side and screwed to elsewhere away from the tyres... does that make sense?? I'll put some pics up if I ever jack up my car again.

another good news is 5 people easily no scrape...

anyway, SSTICH, go LOWER MORE!

TypeG
21-12-2004, 05:04 PM
lol
nice to know that
will try to do the same as u did
pic pls

STTICH
21-12-2004, 05:43 PM
thats very good to know rokkuchan..glad it worked out.
and by the way.. its STTICH la.. not SSTICH :p hehe
well...guess i'll just go 3in lower..seems enough for me, dont really wanna go thru too many trouble and its quite usual for me to hav 3 ppl sitting at rear ( guess tat makes it even worst ) :)
do show us some pics of what they've done to the rear bumper and if u can try take some pics from..m..well just underneath ur car. wanna see how far up are all the pipings and stuff from the ground ..lol !!

STTICH
21-12-2004, 05:46 PM
o ..forgot.. "another good news is 5 people easily no scrape... "
did u remember whats the height of the car from the ground while u had 5 ppl in it??
just curious :p if its like just 5-7cm above the floor ..tats stilll a pain to drive yea..

rokkuchan
21-12-2004, 08:35 PM
Hey,

yeah i'll try get some pics tomorrow...gotta take to friend's workshop again to measure my whole exhaust to replace with custom ones...

5 people? without people the tyres just sits nice under the guards when there's 5 people it only went down about half way to middle of tyres or just above the rim. The springs are stiff as so it wouldn't lower that much unless you have 3 big obesed fatasses sitting in back. but i got stock bodykit so i got no worries, maybe for you "STTICH" and TypeG since u guys got the mugen stuff...
with my stock kit, i still got clearance of 4-5" from the side skirt...after 5 people? about 4"... 7cm is too low, mine never went that low... maybe yours would... is Mugen kit(s) more lower or overall bigger to make it closer to the ground?

well try get pics tomorrow, if not means i forget. have to wait then. :)
later.

STTICH
21-12-2004, 09:28 PM
thats sweet rokkuchan ! after 5 ppl and still around 4in from the ground, thats exactly the legal height 100mm :) lol cant wait to dump my jazz another 1.5in or so.

used to hav my EG hatch wth superlow springs..after 5 pll sitting in it, the middle exhaust was just somthing like 5-6cm off the ground. pain.. BLAH !!

rokkuchan
22-12-2004, 05:33 PM
Hey, I've uploaded the guard pics... take a look at my yahoo photos.. it's called Guard and Guard2... only 2 pics..

not really clear but think you can get the idea how mine is done... you can also see that it's sanded off HEAPS...

TypeG
22-12-2004, 06:04 PM
yr pic 2 doesnt look so good.....

rokkuchan
22-12-2004, 06:17 PM
Sorry man, got the car jacked up but didn't remove the wheel so had to cram my camera in there. If only i had a small cam... and also had to shut their rollers to get rid of the sun...

STTICH
22-12-2004, 10:26 PM
the pics are alright, its pretty clear tat what they hav done..and what an idea ! :)
just waiting for som nice shots when u got time and the mod for it one day :P

bagaichiban
04-03-2005, 10:19 PM
Sorry~off the topic here, but STTICH, where did u get your P1 racing SF rim??? coz i am desperately trying to buy one to replace my damage one~ :(

STTICH
04-03-2005, 11:05 PM
Sorry~off the topic here, but STTICH, where did u get your P1 racing SF rim??? coz i am desperately trying to buy one to replace my damage one~ :(

hi there... i got them off Donnellans last year. i think they still sell it??

bagaichiban
05-03-2005, 09:02 AM
Argh....Bugger...

Well...then really good luck, try to take care of the rim as much as you can. coz i don't think they are avaliable in Donnellans/or somewhere near anymore....unless buy from japan...if u damage one...............er.......i don't know how to do...coz i am thinking right now~:P

btw, nice looking jazz~:)

STTICH
05-03-2005, 09:42 AM
Argh....Bugger...

Well...then really good luck, try to take care of the rim as much as you can. coz i don't think they are avaliable in Donnellans/or somewhere near anymore....unless buy from japan...if u damage one...............er.......i don't know how to do...coz i am thinking right now~:P

btw, nice looking jazz~:)

icic ...sorry to hear tat, hope u do find a solution and solve your prob soon. btw what wheels u using now? or still running wth 3 p1 on? think i saw your car ages ago..hehe white wth gunmetal p1?? :)

and yea..thanks for the comments :)

bagaichiban
05-03-2005, 03:22 PM
i still drive my car with 4 P1 racing SF, the damage one is still "driveable", just doesn't looks good and not 100% safe...

I might get it roll and if it cracks...i am thinking to get a pair of Black Racing rim to replace it...

Yap..it should be my car, i got a custom plate with 'BAGA-01', so shouldn't be hard to recognise~:)

spoon fit
05-03-2005, 03:47 PM
where u going to get a pair of black racing?

bagaichiban
05-03-2005, 04:45 PM
Well, Donnallen maybe?

spoon fit
05-03-2005, 04:47 PM
can get 2 only?

bagaichiban
05-03-2005, 08:11 PM
Not too sure, but don't think it's too unreasonable to do?

TypeG
05-03-2005, 08:28 PM
i sure u can get 2 only but y dun get 4 as u can sell as a set later