PDA

View Full Version : remove d16 rocker cover

cihanvtec
01-06-2010, 12:03 AM
hey guys i want to paint my d16 rocker cover.. how do i remove it? is it easy? do i just unplug whats plugged? loll

also do i need to sand it or anything? theres no paint on it, its just that standard gray at the moment..

Zilli
01-06-2010, 07:24 AM
you need to remove any pipes that are plugging into the cover, such as vac/breather pipers... then undo the bolts around the rim! simple asthat

To repaint it, you cna go all out and strip.sand it bakc to metal and start from there, or you can sand back the bad areas, hi-fill/primer, then paint with normal paint or hammertone which will hide imperfections...

Remember when you are putting it back on, it doesnt hurt to get a new gasket

EK1.6LCIV
01-06-2010, 07:37 AM
def get a new gasket ($28 at Honda) and some form of hondabond or rtv for the sides of the cover, otherwise even if torqued properly it will leak, (do not over tighten the bolts on the cover, they will shear off and are dear to replace :))

spend the most time prepping the cover, the more time spent getting the surface properly sanded and primed is far more important than the grade of paint used :)

if the cover doesnt want to come off when the bolts and vacuum line, spark plug leads, etc are removed use a rubber mallet on the sides of it, nothing too hard it'll loosen the hold :)

cihanvtec
01-06-2010, 10:42 PM
thanks for the response guys.. i painted it today and used my old gasket, i thought it would be okay until i read your responses.. also i broke one of the bolts coz i tightened it too much :( dono where im going to get a new one from now! might try wreckers? would honda have it?
also the guy at auto1 told me to use "chevy red" as its a nice dark red when it dries.. but it turned out orange, and i later realised the can he gave me was chevy orange not red.. so tomorrow im going to get some propper red , sand it down and start again.. ill replace the gasket aswell.. thanks guys :D

EK1.6LCIV
02-06-2010, 08:33 AM
*told you not to over tighten it, Honda sell them was it the back ones or the front as theyre different sizes (lengths/pitch lengths and won't fit), is it easy to remove? ($25-$35 (yes they're dear for a reason, they normally don't break, you might even be out 2-3wks while they order them in) for one I think, I enquired about getting new ones when I painted mine)
*good thing you didn't get pontaic red (it's actually the orangish orange out there lol)

if you're going to Honda get some rubber gaskets for the top of the covers 5 bolts :)

cihanvtec
04-06-2010, 03:48 AM
its the front one.. i was soo pissed off!!!! the bolt sits in there tight still, but doesnt screw into the other end, so it still looks fine.. i dont know if its worth replaceing? there a five more bolts holding it, if i was to leave it, do you think oil would leak through? i went wreckers but couldnt find one bloody d16!! and i finally got it ferrari red haha turned out better than i expected :D

cheers guys thanks alot

hussLEr
04-06-2010, 07:41 AM
thanks for the response guys.. i painted it today and used my old gasket, i thought it would be okay until i read your responses.. also i broke one of the bolts coz i tightened it too much :( dono where im going to get a new one from now! might try wreckers? would honda have it?
also the guy at auto1 told me to use "chevy red" as its a nice dark red when it dries.. but it turned out orange, and i later realised the can he gave me was chevy orange not red.. so tomorrow im going to get some propper red , sand it down and start again.. ill replace the gasket aswell.. thanks guys :D

Wah..A lot of fail occurred!..I guess it's the only way to learn.

Zilli
04-06-2010, 11:17 AM
well done man

post some pictures?

is the gasket rubber? if so you MAY get away with not having one screw, but i'd recommend you do get a replacement anyway

EK1.6LCIV
04-06-2010, 12:19 PM
you wont get away missing a screw lol, shit my side one was off torque a good 2ft lb and it leaked a lil out the top... lol

cihanvtec
04-06-2010, 03:01 PM
sorry guys i forgot to a few before pics.. lol what do you think?

cihanvtec
04-06-2010, 03:02 PM
dont mind the fingerprints... and teh DIY cold air intake.. LOL

cihanvtec
04-06-2010, 03:25 PM
i used engine paint for it and everything, its been 2 days since ive sprayed it, but its still not 100% dry.. like if i go to scratch it with my nail, the paint comes right off.. same with my rims, i painted them black on the same day using rim paint, but it doesnt seem to be drying.. is it because im not using an oven or something? or that theres abit of humid in the air? coz everythings still on the car, drying outside.. what do you guys think? will it eventually dry up and 'hard' and durable?