PDA

View Full Version : EG B16B Sputtering/Missfire?

eg5civic
01-06-2010, 10:07 PM
Hey guys

Monday arvo had a problem with the car making a buh buh buh buh sound on 1/2 throttle getting on the highway in 3rd gear. didnt think much of it. Drove it to a mates, left it sitting for a few hours, when i started it, it sounded like a wrx, like it was running on 3 cylinders. I let it warm up, drove it for a few hundred metres and it fixed itself up, Drove it liek that to the JDMST meet.

had to drive home to the gold coast and the sputtering/ missfiring and wrx sound was happening again, this time taking almost 20 minutes to go away. Same thing happened this morning went to get up to go to work, car was fine for 5 mins then sputtering on 1/2 throttle, sounds liek running on 3 cylinders. Pulled in at servo and took 20 mins idling for it to return to normal idle

I pulled my leads out of the motor and found some water in between the spark plug and where the lead pluds onto it. I had washed the bay sunday night, but had driven the car 3 times without any problems after the wash. I cleaned the water out of the bore, started the car, it ran fine, took it for a drive ran all good.

took it for another drive tonight, 20 min drive one way, was alll good, coming home experienced rough idle, wrx sound for 20 seconds then went away. car drove normally, but will not rev over 5500rpm.

What could be wrong i've been reading the misfiring threads ect, could it be plugs, leads, dizzy?
Or could it be fuel related like pump or filter.

All are due for a change but i dont know where to start
Any help is appreciated and sorry for the essay :o

grifty
01-06-2010, 10:47 PM
i would check the spark plugs first

eg5civic
02-06-2010, 04:14 AM
will check that tomorrow,

also when i was at the servo had a 180 owner say to check the AFM. which is our map sensor. But i cant see that only making it splutter at high rpm

vinnY
02-06-2010, 02:17 PM
dry spark plug holes, remove plugs to check for damage and replace if necessary
if there's anything i've learnt from working on my car, they never fix themselves

hero
02-06-2010, 03:28 PM
eyah as above..
Check in this order:
1\plugs
2\leads
3\dozzy
4\injectors
etc etc