PDA

View Full Version : NEED HELP 1977 Frist Gen Civic Brake Problem !!!

te_panel
03-06-2010, 05:02 PM
Hey All I Got A 1977 Civic And I Cant Seem To Get a Firm Brake Pedal ...

I Got The Booster Tested And Its Fine Just Put A New Master On It And Bleed The Whole Braking System But I Still Can Seem To Get a Firm Brake Pedal ...

The Pedal Is Firm And Hard When The Cars Off But As Soon As i Start It No More Firm Pedal It Sinks To The Floor When U Push It .... Any Ideas ???

Have I Missed Some Thing Or Do U Guys Know Something I Can Try ????

Im Trying To Get It Ready For The Honda Cruise On The 4th Of July So Any Help Would Be Great

Thanks For Any Help You Guys / Girls Give Me !!!!

ECU-MAN
04-06-2010, 10:13 AM
you either got the master cylinder rebuild wrong or you may need to adjust the rear drums

check all the brake hoses, make sure they are not leaking, as well as the rear wheel cylinders

SHOGUNOVDDRK
04-06-2010, 10:48 AM
As usual ecu man on the money.

If you need a hand with anything I'm in Brisbane and can give you a hand (also an old school lover)

te_panel
04-06-2010, 04:01 PM
ECU-MAN - Had The Master And Booster Tested And Was Told That They Where Working 100% ... How Do U Adjust The Rear Drums????

SHOGUNOVDDRK - If You Could Come Down and Give Me A Hand Adjusting The Rear Drums That Would B Great...

I Aslo Just Got The Rear Slave Cylinders Rebuilt Today And Re-bleed The Brakes .. So Prob Need The Drums Adjusting... It Feels Like The Brakes Are Working But There Not At The Same Time ... If U Can Under Stand That

te_panel
05-06-2010, 03:40 PM
Ok So i Adjusted The Rear Drums Today Still Didn't Get a Firm Pedal ....

So I Went To My Mates And Got A Brake Line Clamp Clamped Off Each Line And Felt The Pedal While The Car Was Running No Change With The Back Brakes Blocked Off ...

Than I Blocked Off The Front Left And My Pedal Went Hard Un-clamped It And Went Soft Again Re-Clamped It And Went Hard Again Tried The Front Right Brake And The Pedal Was Soft Re-Clamped The Front Left And Went Hard So I Think My Problem Lies In My Left Front Brake Some Where ...

Any Ideas ??? Caliper Rebuild ????

ECU-MAN
05-06-2010, 06:11 PM
make sure the front calipers slides are not binding, also make sure you can push the pistons in freely and they are not leaking

te_panel
05-06-2010, 07:35 PM
make sure the front calipers slides are not binding, also make sure you can push the pistons in freely and they are not leaking

by binding do u mean sticking ??? and would it would b a good idea to disconnect the brake line b 4 i try to push the piston back in to the caliper so nothing gets pushed back in to the master? ill have to try this monday as im busy tomorrow but once i try it ill let u know how i go ...

ECU-MAN
07-06-2010, 09:45 AM
binding does mean sticking/seizing

I would not disconnect the brake line,

since you bleed the brakes you should not have any crap in there that can flow back

te_panel
07-06-2010, 04:45 PM
binding does mean sticking/seizing

I would not disconnect the brake line,

since you bleed the brakes you should not have any crap in there that can flow back

i had a look at them today found that it had the wrong brake pads in there and the pad retaining pins where bent due to wrong pads ...

i would say that the guy who had it b 4 me had no idea ... also the front calipers are on wrong the left one is on the right and the right one is on the left :eek:

i got new pads and pad retaining pins today and some new brake fluid all i gotta do now is swap the calipers over and re-bleed the brakes there shouldn't be any air in the system and i should have a nice firm pedal.... (fingers crossed)

ECU-MAN
08-06-2010, 09:08 AM
good find dude

hope it works out for you

te_panel
08-06-2010, 01:43 PM
thanks to every one for your input / help .... brakes are now fixed i put the calipers back on there right sides and my brakes work great now .... :D now i just gotta get some cash to get some rego b 4 the honda cruise