PDA

View Full Version : Intermittent Ignition Problem

citran
03-06-2010, 05:56 PM
Hey guys,

I've got a Integra LS DA9 90 model and most of the time it starts just fine however when it doesn't want to start it tries to kick over but acts like it doesn't have any petrol even if there is half a tank in it. I have noticed that it seems to do it mostly after it's been used for a while and if the weather has been warmer than normal tho it has happened a couple of times in normal colder weather. I've had various ppl look at the car all over but none we're able to figure anything at all out even when the car wouldn't start right in front of them.

At one point I believed it could be the ICM but when I had the numbers checked out to get a replacement my mechanic told me that the numbers didn't resemble anything they had except those of a Civic :confused: I know the Main Fuel Relay isn't to blame as I had that checked out first so am unsure of what could be left to check in the car as it works perfectly after starting.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I really don't want to have to get a new car because this one isn't 100% reliable :(

specialst
06-06-2010, 12:39 PM
does the dizzy spark?
- pull out a spark plug lead
- rest it against the rocker cover on an angle
- get a friend to start the engine
if its not sparking your dizzy may need replacing - possibly ICM. (wat are these numbers your talking about?)

Are you sure the main relay is working? might be worth removing the old solder and resoldering it anyways cos they are getting old n crusty.

starter motor? - theres an article somewhere on the WWW on how to rebuild it using Denso parts (sourced thru toyota cos they are the only ones who stock 'components')

good luck

Bludger
08-06-2010, 01:43 PM
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?123001-obd0-b16a-injectors.&p=2549359#post2549359

try this

c0lt
21-09-2010, 11:34 AM
I get the exact same problem. I find that when it won't start, if I leave the ignition in the ON position, the cooling fans run. I let them run for about a minute and then the car starts fine.
Now that I've posted this, I'm just waiting for the day when it doesn't happen to work :p

johnny5
21-09-2010, 12:09 PM
I've been having this issue for quite some time and I've finally resolved it. It could be a few things. Some of the symptoms were:

- Engine starts up but then revs drop and sputters a lil bit and then dies. When I try to start it again, it just cranks but engine does not start. Have to wait a few minutes before I can try it again
- Noticed that it happens during hot days
- Does not matter if engine is warm or cold. As long as the engine dies without me switching off ignition I would have issues restarting it again

Possible causes:

1) Fuel Pump
2) Fuel Filter
3) Main Relay

I changed the fuel pump and fuel filter and that seems to have fixed it. If u notice that its not starting on warmer days, it could be the main relay and u will just need to solder the points that seem to have lost the connection. Check out this link: http://www.youtube.com/user/EricTheCarGuy?blend=2&ob=1#p/search/0/viIZ8k60awY

Hope it helps :)

johnny5
21-09-2010, 12:13 PM
I know the Main Fuel Relay isn't to blame as I had that checked out first so am unsure of what could be left to check in the car as it works perfectly after starting.

(

Whoops, sorry man didnt read ur post properly the first time round! :p

Good luck anyway and keep us posted!

ECU-MAN
21-09-2010, 02:56 PM
check your IAT sensor

how certain are your your main relay os fine ?

citran
23-04-2011, 11:01 PM
Late reply to thread I know but yeah ended up replacing main relay and that cured issue with problem, had 6 months with nothing after it :)