PDA

View Full Version : ek wiper refill/inserts

anzai
03-06-2010, 08:32 PM
does anyone know any good aftermarket ones?

or just buy OEM for a peace of mind?

also ive never bought any parts locally from honda before, where should i go in melbourne?

cheers

hondaEK4
03-06-2010, 09:43 PM
just the wiper blade refill? i did this few days ago, $8.50 does the job from super-cheap, Ek's use the one labeled "narrow".
Take out old one, Slide in new refill & cut off the excess.

anzai
03-06-2010, 09:56 PM
but i heard you get what you paid for with the supercheap ones

then again what do you think of the quality? does it like screech? does it wipe off the windscreen clean? etc?

cheers for the response

yellows2k
03-06-2010, 10:06 PM
buy "aeroblade" ones. bosch used to make some great ones, but they arent carried by the main shops anymore as they have their own. super cheap have trico or trindon and repco have their own as well. about $25-30 a blade. otherwise, check ebay,i bought the $10 ones, ill see how they compare. cant be hard to get it wrong, its plastic and rubber ffs.
btw, my bosch ones r still great after 3 years

anzai
03-06-2010, 10:14 PM
how about OEM ones? any rough idea of price?

hondaEK4
03-06-2010, 10:29 PM
it wipes the screen clean, you do get what you pay for.
Maybe I've just left my last ones for too long (couldn't see in the rain) and the change in blades have just made a big difference.
Don't all of them screech when the screen goes dry?

androo
03-06-2010, 10:35 PM
OEM ones are awesome but not sure about the price. I bought $10-$15 ones from Kmart, Supercheap and Repco. All need to be changed after a few weeks/months if you're fussy.

I also tried the ones that come with the whole wiper + blade for around $15. They suck. Start squeaking after 2 days. Still, the wiper itself is good, just gotta change the blade itself.

Spend about $25-$35 on your blade and you'll be happy. Bought some Bosch ones. It's only been 2 months but I'm extremely satisfied. I never tried to get OEM ones though. Note that while convenient, the ones with both 'narrow and thin' (multi-fit) might be convenient, but they make the wiper blade itself much taller. This causes the blade to not having an even amount of pressure, making them wear out faster towards the bottom of the windscreen. I believe all older Honda's use narrow - The EK definitely uses narrow. Try to get something of the same height for your replacements. Your wiper arms are designed to work with the OEM blades height so try to stick with it.

That being said, alot of brands have a million different 'blades' all claiming to be greater than the other. You'll see 'dual blades', '7 edge blades', etc. All of which are gimmicks. They don't do anything lol

Also, while being more durable, in general, silicon blades do not perform as well as rubber blades. Keep that in mind!