PDA

View Full Version : Ek radiator question.

flipmods
21-12-2004, 12:42 AM
Hi,

Just curious. Is the EK GLi civic radiator 2 core like the Ek Vtir or is it 1 core like the EG?
I put the GLi EK engine in my EG and it overeats when running on the freeway at over 3200rpms.

(I know it is not the thermoswitch or thermostat or fan, all it points to is the Radiator now.)

Thanks in advance.

Weq
21-12-2004, 10:44 AM
waterpump? does it overheat at any olther stage? i can tell u know that the EG radiator is single core but still damn good at cooling - it can take oldpac runs on full boost without the temp rising a MM. Are u getting alot of overflow? could be the head/headgasket? Have u flow tested the radiator for blockage? stick a hose upto it and let it fill and flow out the top and then watch it flow back through. it should be able to do it within a few seconds, with ease.

VTi-RT
21-12-2004, 02:36 PM
It's not the radiator, you better check your water pump as what Weq said. I've had give the GF my EK VTI-R radiator and been using a single core VTi radiator with no troubles at all...

flipmods
21-12-2004, 10:32 PM
Thanks guys but the pump is flowing and the engine has done less than 40000ks. It only overheats when driving on the freeway at over 3000revs. I'm stumped.

DLO01
21-12-2004, 10:40 PM
Thanks guys but the pump is flowing and the engine has done less than 40000ks. It only overheats when driving on the freeway at over 3000revs. I'm stumped.That is strange man. If its only overheating on the freeway its either, no airflow through the radiator, but then the fan would kick in anyway or no water flow ie. water pump. I am not sure man? :confused:

Dodgy thermostat maybe???

DLO01
21-12-2004, 10:45 PM
Sorry, you mentioned already it was not a dodgy thermostat. My bad.:D

VTi-RT
21-12-2004, 11:03 PM
Do you get white smoke (steam like) out through the exhaust?
Tried flushing out your radiator?
Are you running radiator coolent?
Does your oil look milky?
When it overheats check and feel how firm the radiator hoses are... is it normal or is it very firm?

Just asking the questions to make sure....

Generally your car would overheat when on idle or rev'ing heaps, not while crusing on the freeway as you should be getting heaps of air flow...

Weq
21-12-2004, 11:20 PM
are u overflowing ?? ive got exhaust leaking into my cooling system causing wierder problems.

flipmods
21-12-2004, 11:55 PM
No white smoke, Radiator is clear, got coolant, no milky oil but the radiator hoses are firm but that is normal. I am stumped, I think I will put another temp gauge in my coolant to test if the sender or gauge is faulty.

I thought maybe cause it is a bigger engine that maybe the radiator can't cope at that high revs. Does anyone know if the EK Gli radiator is 2 core?

Do you get white smoke (steam like) out through the exhaust?
Tried flushing out your radiator?
Are you running radiator coolent?
Does your oil look milky?
When it overheats check and feel how firm the radiator hoses are... is it normal or is it very firm?

Just asking the questions to make sure....

Generally your car would overheat when on idle or rev'ing heaps, not while crusing on the freeway as you should be getting heaps of air flow...

flipmods
21-12-2004, 11:57 PM
Could a radiator cap not letting any coolant out to the reservior affect the cooling system? I think I should check that too.

VTi-RT
22-12-2004, 06:58 AM
GLi is a single core, while a VTi-R is a dual core...

Weq, i believe you have a very common D-Series problem when you move to boosted power... it's called head lifted...

Lot's of D-Series owners have the same problem, heck my gf's car copped it. When running boost, the pressure causes very slight head lift which then causes cylinder pressure to leak. That's why your cooling system is over pressurising and spitting all your coolent out.... Eventually you'll see that the coolent will be pushed into the oil system causing your oil to look milky...

I recommend if you have money to get your block o-ringed and get som ARP head Studs. At the very least get a new head gasket and the ARP head studs.

flipmods
22-12-2004, 10:47 AM
GLi is a single core, while a VTi-R is a dual core...Thanks I guess I will talk to my Mechanic which I haven't been to in a while.

Weq
22-12-2004, 11:33 AM
GLi is a single core, while a VTi-R is a dual core...

Weq, i believe you have a very common D-Series problem when you move to boosted power... it's called head lifted...

Lot's of D-Series owners have the same problem, heck my gf's car copped it. When running boost, the pressure causes very slight head lift which then causes cylinder pressure to leak. That's why your cooling system is over pressurising and spitting all your coolent out.... Eventually you'll see that the coolent will be pushed into the oil system causing your oil to look milky...

I recommend if you have money to get your block o-ringed and get som ARP head Studs. At the very least get a new head gasket and the ARP head studs.
Im getting it in or out of boost ;) it happened when i installed a 2nd hand head - never happened with my old head. Ive got arps and a new headgasket but im thinking the head is warped. either way im getting another head build and going on soon.