PDA

View Full Version : rev problem. revs going up and down when on neutral or idling

MrJohn
06-06-2010, 03:52 PM
guys my car idles up and down when its parked at a stop? anything i can do to stop it? idles up and down but under 1,000rpm

thanks

flipfire
06-06-2010, 05:22 PM
cleaned out your IACV? see the guide

slimx
06-06-2010, 05:38 PM
if u gota big sound system it can also be that. draws to much power usually subwoofers or component speakers do it.

Premature Vtec
06-06-2010, 08:40 PM
There is a DIY on this forum I also have this problem haven't fixed it yet tho

teh_mechanic
07-06-2010, 06:10 PM
its called hunting. like said, most common thing to help it is cleaning the IACV out

spoonsir2
07-06-2010, 11:41 PM
o2 sensor?

cyryl07
08-06-2010, 12:59 AM
from experience. this happened to my civic and cr-v aswell. what i did was. cleaned my whole throttle body and the manifold. if this doesnt work. try and change the idle sensor on the bottom of your throttle body or the sensor located at the back of your throttle body.
you can pick it up at like wreckers or something like that. it all depends what car or engine you have.

MrJohn
13-07-2010, 11:50 PM
bump! its gone worst lol its now reving 800 - 1300 now >.<

dougie_504
14-07-2010, 01:32 PM
What have you done about it? Did you clean your throttle body and intake manifold with carby cleaner? Did you clean your IACV at the back of your intake manifold?

If not, why are you bumping the thread?

Samm928
14-07-2010, 02:08 PM
OK DUDE LISTEN CAREFULLY. or you'll end up with a fukd block.

clean your IACV. then open your butterfly and clean it. dont over do it.

give it 4-6 hours safe of non driving to let it dry.

then it should be ok after you turn it on.
also make sure your intake is clean. and while your at it check your air filter that its not blocked or dirty etc.

and there can only be one other thing wrong/right with your car.
- it simply comes with aftermarket camshafts >=)

dougie_504
14-07-2010, 03:27 PM
OK DUDE LISTEN CAREFULLY. or you'll end up with a fukd block.

clean your IACV. then open your butterfly and clean it. dont over do it.

give it 4-6 hours safe of non driving to let it dry.

then it should be ok after you turn it on.
also make sure your intake is clean. and while your at it check your air filter that its not blocked or dirty etc.

and there can only be one other thing wrong/right with your car.
- it simply comes with aftermarket camshafts >=)

Which I doubt he has since he's ignored all of our advice re: fixing the problem.

AsHw3e
14-07-2010, 03:34 PM
I had a problem like this a few weeks ago. When I was overseas n hadn't driven the car for a month. My revs were jumping between 1 - 2 rpm. I was told the exact same thing that my TB could be dirty n to also clean the IACV. In the end it wasn't any of those as I didn't do it.. It was just my ecu playing up. So I unplugged the battery n put it back on the next day.. If that didn't work then I was going to do the other 2. So yeah.. The car is fine since then so that could maybe one of your problems?

EK1 Civic
14-07-2010, 09:00 PM
guys my car idles up and down when its parked at a stop? anything i can do to stop it? idles up and down but under 1,000rpm

thanks

LOL i just had the same problem and fixed it today lmao. Check your TS screw, it may be pushing the throttle plate thing that allows you to rev your car by hand, where your throttle cable is connected to. It leaves the butterfly inside the throttle body being open allowing air to flow inside when in Idle. I'd take off the intake arm, and then with the car off, turn the throttle plate that moves the butterfly inside the throttle body over and over and check if theres a gap when the butterfly is closed which may be allowing air to flow in. Also check your FITV if this doesnt end up working.

Is this what your car is doing? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWEqSfq_r-Y
Basically recorded a video of my car doing it yesterday.

2MPRS
14-07-2010, 09:07 PM
sorry to hijack the thread but mine does exactly the same thing as the video but only when the car is warm when its at normal temp it doesnt do it :( reakon i need my iacv cleaned?

EK1 Civic
14-07-2010, 09:27 PM
Just take off the throttle body, probably easier to to remove the IACV when the throttle body is removed. Others will argue against this as not to damage the throttle body gasket, i think there about $20 if you happen to damage it, i didn't damage mine though. Just take off the intake arm anyways no trouble removing that, and check if the butterfly is open slightly during idle which it shouldnt, if its 100% closed, then go about cleaning your IACV, throttle body and others say if this fails to clean your FITV. Heres basically a DIY guide in removing the throttle body it also tells you how to calibrate the tps. http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=120191

are u saying when its warming up it occurs, but once its fully warmed it doesnt bounce the revs?

aznstyler
14-07-2010, 09:28 PM
this happend to me after i changed my throttel cable..... wat could it be?

EK1 Civic
14-07-2010, 09:30 PM
this happend to me after i changed my throttel cable..... wat could it be?

Judging from your post your throttle cable is to tight and leaving the butterfly open during idle. If its tightened to much you should get bouncy revs like the video if not the same. Just simply remove the intake arm and check if there is a gap with the butterfly in the TB

dougie_504
14-07-2010, 10:51 PM
Everybody with this problem should just clean their TB and IACV, then reset their ECU. Stop posting, just try it first lol.

EK1 Civic
14-07-2010, 11:07 PM
^ as above, just do the usual and if problem persists then post xD btw dougie u happen to know the ecu fuse in the fuse box of an ek1?

dougie_504
14-07-2010, 11:53 PM
No idea bro. Might have to see if you can find a user's manual

EK1 Civic
14-07-2010, 11:54 PM
I'll have a look through it tomorrow and the service manual pdf that i got xD. Thanks though.

dougie_504
15-07-2010, 12:05 AM
Why do you need to know? If you wanna reset your ECU just unplug the battery :)

Wez_R
15-07-2010, 01:57 PM
This is happening to me aswell all the way upto 2k rpm soon as i start the car and it just keeps going everytime i stop/
sit there idling

EK1 Civic
15-07-2010, 02:37 PM
Why do you need to know? If you wanna reset your ECU just unplug the battery :)

To much hassle doing that. Anyways the fuse on an ek1 is marked Backup (Radio) some just say backup, its the same thing. Its a 7.5a fuse to reset the ecu. Also remove the one marked interior light, its an 7.5a fuse. People have told me to remove one of them, just to be safe when resetting ecu, remove both xD.

EK1 Civic
15-07-2010, 02:38 PM
This is happening to me aswell all the way upto 2k rpm soon as i start the car and it just keeps going everytime i stop/
sit there idling

Do as above all the information posted is correct, just clean the whole throttle body and be careful not to over tighten the throttle cable to make sure the butterfly is 100% closed during idle. If all that fails, just go to the diy section and search FITV and follow the guide there. If nothing here works it can be faulty sensors etc which your mechanic will be able to diagnose. Just do the above checks before wasting money when it can be easily fixed.

V73C
15-07-2010, 07:46 PM
Why hasnt OP posted yet ? Too lazy to clean it ?

Wez_R
17-07-2010, 11:24 AM
mine is fixed i just cleaned a few things in my engine and it didnt go away so when i was driving it i stopped at the lights and then it was gone lol

EK1 Civic
17-07-2010, 01:28 PM
mine is fixed i just cleaned a few things in my engine and it didnt go away so when i was driving it i stopped at the lights and then it was gone lol

Maybe post what you did, might help motivate some lazy bones with the problem xD