PDA

View Full Version : CU2 How much fuel is left when you reach 0kms to go on the trip computer?

CU2 Euro 09
10-06-2010, 11:55 PM
Had a situation today, the first one in the CU2, where I was in traffic and low on fuel.

Bloody nightmare traffic in Brissy and no BP in sight. No petrol station at all actually. Coming back from Moorooka on Ipswich rd and bumper to bumper. Had 3 km's left on the guage and was looking everywhere...

Got to the gabba lights trying to get to that Mobil on Stanley st. Bloody right turn green arrow wouldn't happen to get to it, so me not knowing the frequnecy of the lights, as I usually use the train at that time of day, didn't know how long it would take for a green arrow. Guage saying 0kms to go.

Sat there for 20 fkn minutes. Got the shits and went to the next lights and did an illegal u-turn when the lights where amber (I think others knew how shit the lights were and didn't care, lucky no cops) and got to the station. Don't like Mobil as it's shit. Though it's not as bad as Shell.

Eventually filled up, only put in 3 litres ($5) till I got to a BP for Ultimate 98. The thing is my guage was on zero for a good 25 to 30 mins (crap traffic), idling mostly, but I was still mobile. I drive a standard auto.

Buddah said he thought the trip computer wasn't that accurate. My fingers were crossed he was right!

Anyway, my question is: How much petrol or distance (depending on driving style) is left in the tank when the trip computer says you got zero kms left?

Page 82 of my manual says there's 9.8L left when the petrol light comes on. With a small reserve after that.

How many litres are in that reserve?

akina
11-06-2010, 01:02 AM
LOL you must be shitting yourself!!!
I had a similar experience where I was driving my gfs car (fd civic) and their all that digital stuff... it reached 1 little block left and I was already shitting it trying to get to the closest petrol station fast as possible conservatively. Then the last little block went away too, and thats when all those crazy thoughts went through my mind lol

But luckily in the end I still reached to the station no problems!

And to answer your question... I have no idea :p

DC2-PWR
11-06-2010, 02:23 AM
and to answer your question... I have no idea :p

loooollllllllll

aaronng
11-06-2010, 07:24 AM
For the CL9, when the light comes on I am still able to drive about 100km on the freeway without the engine dying on me. So I reckon somewhere between 8 to 10 litres is still in the tank when the light comes on. You can check by driving until the light comes on, immediately fill the tank up to maximum and calculate by subtracting how much you are able to put in from the total tank volume, give or take 2-3 litres in case the pump does not fill all the way to the top of tank.

Type R Positive
11-06-2010, 07:39 AM
not the light aaronng, the trip computer. We got about 70kms, left on the trip computer when the light comes on.

I always get the fuel light come on, but have never got the trip computer down to zero before.

89superstage
11-06-2010, 10:37 AM
LoL Cu2 Euro 09, I've had one of these before and it would be a nail-biting experience...if you didnt have the steering in hand!
I was returning from a vacation, had around 60k to go with the light on, kept driving as I couldnt be bothered to stop just yet, tired kids in the car, was heading into Auckland and like you I'm particular about where and what I put in the tank.
Got to my gas station with 4 kms to empty showing. Filled the tank and it took just shy of 64L!
Fuel consumption was showing around 7L/100km, (so I should have been able to go another 14kms approx) :confused:

But take into account the fuel guage as well as the trip computer, isnt Swiss accurate!! as we all know, and theres been debate over how much fuel's held in the filler tube,
I'd say that final reserve beyond 0 km --> empty, is about 2L.

Anyhow that was too close for comfort, wont be doing that anytime soon.

Cheers.

chris41
11-06-2010, 02:57 PM
My confidence in the trip computer was lacking recently when I had 50kms remaining showing,
filled right up and the receipt showed just over 65L (larger than the quoted sized of the tank) going in.
Dodgey fuel bowser metering possibly as Ive filled with 50km remaining several other times and the receipt
would show there was around 3-4L remaining in the tank/lines etc.

Type R Positive
11-06-2010, 05:34 PM
all my fills are 60L+. I've had a few around 65L.

buddah51au
11-06-2010, 06:01 PM
My suspicion is the Total capacity on a CU2 is just over 70 litres. On my last tank I filled up after 920kms & it took 65.4 lts. Trip computer was showing 48k till empty. I normally fill up after the low light comes on which is always between 840 & 860km with local driving only.

aaronng
11-06-2010, 06:08 PM
not the light aaronng, the trip computer. We got about 70kms, left on the trip computer when the light comes on.

Bring a canister of fuel with you and run the tank empty. Might clog the fuel filter and damage the engine though.

89superstage
11-06-2010, 06:59 PM
My suspicion is the Total capacity on a CU2 is just over 70 litres. On my last tank I filled up after 920kms & it took 65.4 lts. Trip computer was showing 48k till empty. I normally fill up after the low light comes on which is always between 840 & 860km with local driving only.

Wow, a bit off topic, but thats some phenomenal mileage buddah51au!! are most of your trips in non city grid stop starts? The max I've been able to squeeze out of my CU2 is 703km and I 'run' the low light everytime.

all my fills are 60L+. I've had a few around 65L.
Would you have an idea of how many kms you've driven, after the light came on and before you filled up with that figure? Reason I ask is I've come to rely on the distance driven, to guage how much is left in the tank as well as the computer.
thanks

buddah51au
11-06-2010, 07:36 PM
Wow, a bit off topic, but thats some phenomenal mileage buddah51au!! are most of your trips in non city grid stop starts? The max I've been able to squeeze out of my CU2 is 703km and I 'run' the low light everytime.

Would you have an idea of how many kms you've driven, after the light came on and before you filled up with that figure? Reason I ask is I've come to rely on the distance driven, to guage how much is left in the tank as well as the computer.
thanks

75% of my driving is country "B" class roads, not even close to Hwy conditions with crappy course chip bitumen, potholed roads. the other 25% is light country town driving - very little stop start. you can set your alarm by the low fuel light coming on, it is always within a 20km variance with local driving, obviously i get better mileage on a trip.

My best guesstimate is that the low fuel light comes on with 10 litres remaining, how far you go on that 10 liters will depend on your fuel consumption - for me personally it is over 100km. The furthest i have ever gone on 1 tank is 990kms on 61.63 lts.

Type R Positive
11-06-2010, 10:07 PM
thanksalways had 20km or so left on the trip computer.

zeke
11-06-2010, 10:28 PM
always had 20km or so left on the trip computer.

I'm glad you nona you guys are airline pilots . When da light comes on filla the tank.

furythree
12-06-2010, 12:45 AM
I'm glad you nona you guys are airline pilots . When da light comes on filla the tank.

lol "*Ding*, Attention passengers, this is ur captain speaking, yeh we're kinda low on fuel right now, but there isnt a bp in sight, all the ones we passed ran out of fuel. something about a spill or leak. If you will just fasten your seat belts...oh wait i see a mobil on the horizon, we'll do a small top up"

anyway, ive run down to 0 kms on the cu2 about 5 times already. Shit myself plenty. and unlike the OP, ive been in both gridlock and moving traffic for more than 10 minutes at a time. So even when the trip computer says 0, i reckon you can still drive far enough to the nearest petrol station. I think if u ever get that low, my reccommendation is not to be picky and to drive TO a station and not drive UNTIL there is a station. Shitting brix is an understatement.

Type R Positive
12-06-2010, 07:33 AM
LOL! My work is about a 60km round trip @ 100km/h with no traffic.
If the light comes on when I am going home, I'll fill up. If i'm lazy, I'll get 1 more trip out of it.