PDA

View Full Version : Clutch options

Limbo
11-06-2010, 02:30 PM
Currently running a exedy sport organic on my car.
Its started slipping now after about 20k.

I'm looking at getting a stage 4 Competition clutch (6puk Ceramic)

or Stage 2 - 3 puk ceramic Exedy clutch

or a ORC clutch?

ANyone able to shed any light on these clutches? and good/bad points?
Can make 171kw atw

I'm looking for something can be daily driven with a few track days here and there.
Shudder is something i would like to minimise

AXS
12-06-2010, 03:56 AM
stay away from 6 pucks for street, its a big NO NO!

Limbo
12-06-2010, 11:24 PM
yeah but i got an issue now that the sports organic is slipping now, need something with better gripping power

AXS
15-06-2010, 01:36 AM
man maybe the clutch kit was faulty, 20xxxkms seems abit too low for a new clutch kit, jus get the same clutch kit and stick with it, 20xxxkms of enthusiastic driving is reasonably good, if ya know what i mean! let us know what option you go with.

RandyRhydah
15-06-2010, 06:33 AM
stay away from 6 pucks for street, its a big NO NO!

why is this?

SuiJin
15-06-2010, 06:41 AM
its very hard to drive with 6 puck if your fairly amature, expect alot of stalling, will need to ride the clutch to prevent it from stalling and it jolts forward when you do grip.

RandyRhydah
15-06-2010, 08:59 AM
yeah i run one and its fine if you get a sprung one its not bad at all.. alot more on and off but after 2 or 3 days you get used to it... you may have a problem with shutter first up untill you learn to drive it properly just gotta give it a little more revs when you take off especially in reverse. im having problems with my 6 puck at the moment (been told its actually my diff) but when it was working properly it was fine daily driven..

Limbo
15-06-2010, 05:07 PM
cool, but i've ended up getting the 3 puk Exedy ceramic clutch.

Anyone with anyfeed back on these?

AXS
22-06-2010, 12:49 AM
good luck...lol

let us know what else has to be changed after a few days of driving it with that...

vinnY
22-06-2010, 10:38 AM
i heard this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otPL8KwKQmw) happens with your leg, watch out limbo

RandyRhydah
22-06-2010, 12:59 PM
i dont see anything wrong with it... will be bitey and a bit firmer on your leg but if ur over the age of 12 your going to be able to deal with it..

Edit: but yes, you may be up for new rear engine mount if your still running a stocko.. mine lasted 3 days with my 6 puck

teh_mechanic
23-06-2010, 06:34 PM
Ive been running a 3 puk Exedy ceramic clutch in my b16 now for over a year and it was a great choice. only takes a day to get used to then its fine

DLO01
23-06-2010, 06:45 PM
cool, but i've ended up getting the 3 puk Exedy ceramic clutch.

Anyone with anyfeed back on these?
Yep, they are good man very much like stock with feeling. I only experienced very minor shudder on take off, sometimes. Very drivable for the street. Hoping this will hold for you. Redline shifts are a killer with boost. Have you got an alloy flywheel? Ceramic is not too friendly on alloy flywheels but I'm sure you'll be fine.

Limbo
23-06-2010, 06:57 PM
Thanks guys
Vinny - yeah i got big legs already, so no issue LOL
teh Mechanic - sounds good, i can't wait now, i got energy suspenion on the rear mounts so they should hold up
DL001 - cool, running a newly machined ITR flywheel, i've heard about ceramic stuffing up alloy flywheels also.

Even my sports organic shudders abit, just dun want it too hard shuddering

Dunno why the sports organic gave up so fast. May i tracked it too hard

I've been told 1,000km break-in is that what you guys did?

Limbo
26-06-2010, 10:30 AM
update - got the car back today.
Feels good. The car feels nice and tight.
The play on the ceramic is about the same as the sports organic.
Peddle feels twice as heavy, but your sports organic is like stock so not bad at all.
The grip acts very much like the sports organic also, quick bite, but now its about twice as quick.
If you drive it like a sports organic no issues at all, it shudders about the same as a sports organic also, so only if you take off badly it shudders abit, nothing extraordinary

Overall very happy with it.
Thanks to Bridgestone in Smithfield for the install, great job.