PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox Crunching Sounds

hitoriko
12-06-2010, 06:33 PM
Hi guys

I've noticed of late that my gearbox is making crunching noises, not while driving but when i start in the morning putting it into reverse to get out my garage and sometime when engaging into 1st gear to take off, im not sure if it's the box itself or if i need a new clutch.

Ideas?

If it is a gearbox anyone know what im looking for price whise for a D16 vtech gearbox?
If its the clutch and i need a new one anyone suggest a brand, i've always used exedy but am open to suggestions

Thanks

hitoriko
13-06-2010, 09:25 PM
Anyone?

OMG.JAI xD
13-06-2010, 09:40 PM
Start by slowly shifting into reverse. As in clutch in and wait a few seconds then engage the gear.
And make sure youre in gear and not halfway in.

A wearing clutch doesnt crunch gears. It will slip/shudder on take off and/or between gears. And in high powered applications it will slip when reaching peak power.

A crunch while selecting gears is caused by the clutch release mechanisms.
ie. Leaking hydraulic fluid within the hydraulic system. Master cylinder, slave cylinder, or a punctured line.
In cable applications, the cable may have stretched, dampeners may have collapsed or the retaining brackets have bent.
In both applications, the release fork may be bent, if it has one. Though this rarely happens on a front wheel drive car.

The only instance that a clutch will cause crunch while selecting gears is, if the pressure plate is warped. Nowadays in modern cars. That rarely happens. And when it does, the release bearing usually gets caught between one of the diaphragm pegs and destroy it.

Your transmission could do with an oil change too if it hasnt had one in a while.

hitoriko
14-06-2010, 12:56 PM
Might check the fliuds might just need a service

WuackR
15-06-2010, 02:24 PM
I advise u not to get another gearbox, if this would be the case, just replace the bearings.
Will probably work out the same but getting another gearbox may either have a fault. Just fyi..
Price wise - I spent about $1,600.00 for new bearings..

Goodluck champ !

sw1fty
23-06-2010, 05:13 PM
If you are going to service the gearbox, do it yourself.
I did it following wynode's guide, it took me a weekend.
It was easy enough and wouldn't have been more than $150 including new fluids and bearings.

I hadn't done anything mechanical prior to this, so it can't have been too difficult!

Tegzieboi_BAR
23-06-2010, 06:30 PM
i had a repeated crunch when shifting into 4th at semi-high RPM... simple gearbox oil chance fixed that prob

na-118
23-06-2010, 07:21 PM
85 140 diff oil to minimise the noise LMAO