PDA

View Full Version : Thermostat oem vs Aftermarket

turbo convert
12-06-2010, 08:41 PM
hey all,

I just changed my thermostat, and its fixed my problem all happy, but now it leaks:thumbdwn:
there is a big diffrence between the oem seal and the aftermarket seal i got............now iam 99% sure this is my leak cause its not closing up tightly, just wondering if anyone else had this problem????

Alvis
14-06-2010, 05:20 PM
Nope. Never had this problem and I use aftermarket.

Only problem I had is when coming down Mt Ousley mountain from Sydney to Wollongong (air gets quite cold) my temp guage would drop to zero all the way down the hill even though the car had been running for 1 1/2 hours! Weird...

Think it was just stuck open, changed it up and no problems since ;-)

turbo convert
14-06-2010, 10:13 PM
lol, nah my one works fine, just not sealing with it o ring seal provided...
over the weekend i put the oem seal on my aftermarket thermostat and it seems to have sealed this time, but will keep an eye on it.
was the seal they gave you just a o ring more or less???

~Sp33~
16-06-2010, 11:09 PM
I like to use silicone on the seal to ensure it's definitely water tight.

turbo convert
17-06-2010, 04:50 PM
yeah i had silastic but still no good....fingers crossed its sealed now hasnt leaked yet, but i dont drive it everyday

VOLK
18-06-2010, 01:55 PM
Permatex high temp RVT silicone gasket (red tube) or the blue tube. Both are safe for coolant/water pump/thermostat housings, the blue one is sensor safe. Also Loctite #4 comes recommended.

Conventional silicon/silastic is not recommended. Make sure you buy the right stuff otherwise you'll end up pulling your pump back off to fix leaks!

~Sp33~
18-06-2010, 05:24 PM
Permatex high temp RVT silicone gasket (red tube) or the blue tube. Both are safe for coolant/water pump/thermostat housings, the blue one is sensor safe. Also Loctite #4 comes recommended.

Conventional silicon/silastic is not recommended. Make sure you buy the right stuff otherwise you'll end up pulling your pump back off to fix leaks!

And by pump you mean thermostat housing, right? RVT silicone :thumbsup: